New York Life

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Salem, OR

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Just a bunch of questions

Interview Question – Whos your best friend and why   Answer Question

South Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – great process and very thorough

Interview Question – why do you have a hard time with nos.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Question – No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

El Paso, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in September 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is not designed to seek out the interest of the applicant. The company has sales vacancies to fill and that is what they offer. The sales pitch is very good, and the promises are impressive. New agent will end up spending more money out of pocket to meet requirements, than they will actually earn.

Interview Question – None. They were not interested in asking questions. The process was a sales pitch designed to draw the applicant in.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much. They basically made it look like once the applicant was willing to work, following the company's protocals they will be successful. The cost and benifits of earning was placed on the applicant 100%

Insurance Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – 4 interview selection process, they get to know you and you get to know them

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Preliminary contract is non negotiable

Insurance Agent

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in October 2012.

Interview Details – Lots of information. Basic questioning process. There are 3 separate interviews and any questions that you have that are related to how a product or feature of their company could be negative they will side step you.

Interview Question – They will probably ask you what your best features are, what are your biggest fears, and what you may do in certain situations.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty easy. As a college graduate economics major they seemed impressed. Met with the sales Manager and took a test based on your ability to succeed in the business. Did well on that and met with another manager . I was offered the job 2 days later.

Interview Question – What would be my primary mode of prospecting. Also did I have a business plan . I did not and they said we would do that together.   View Answer

Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had 4 interviews but every day is kind of like an interview. They expect you to hit your projections every week.

Interview Question – What were my motivation for working for New York Life.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I applied online and was invited to the office for a face to face interview with the Partner's assistant. Basic questions were asked about my experience, why I wanted to work for the company. I took a personality test online and passed. I was subjected to an extensive background check which took a considerable amount of time. Once I passed my insurance test and secured my license, I was able to start producing.

Interview Question – Be prepared to talk about the company. The information is available online, so this was an easy request for me. There were no challenging questions asked of me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% commission

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Insurance Agent interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.