New York Life

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.2

Insurance Agent Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in February 2015.

They call me and gave me an appointment next day, so I went and they were asking me several questions about my experiences and my expectations. Then they told me about the job.

Interview Questions

Because it was not what I was expecting.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

There was suppose to be a multi step process but the GM where I was hired was on the hot seat so I was hired on the spot. As it turned out within 6 months he was no longer with the company.

Interview Questions
    • No one will help you go to work, so are you able to motivate yourself?   Answer Question
    There wasn't one. The managing partner said I had a 7% chance to make it 3 years but "you can have the job". I left after 11. He was gone in 6 months.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Went through 4 interviews. First a phone interview, then 3 in person interviews. First they get to know you. Then they educate you about themselves. then they talk about the position in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult or unexpected questions. They just learn about your background and determine weather or not you will be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Great interviewers and very detailed. I have taken a lot of information at each interview. each interview was a week apart and I found it very helpful as you can think about it and do some reaserch.

Interview Questions
    • did not have any compromising question, they were all very resonable   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

I had like 3 interviews with recruiter and general office manager, also a personality test, I was advised how to get ready for my State Insurance license, and was advised about my compensation plan

Interview Questions
    • look for 25 friends and family to make a list of possible prospect   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life.

They have a 4 interview process, that I found to be very repetitive. I suppose to make sure that you were consistent in your answers to the questions. Each time we met we also covered a part of their business plan or how they would identify a client.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were straight forward. What your biggest strength? Whats your biggest weakness? ETC   Answer Question

They say they don't cold call, instead they wanted me to badger my friends and family. I wasn't comfortable trying to persuade friends and family to buy policies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Initial contact is good. As most employers. You have two initial meetings. Get to know, assessment test is for second appointment. Application, background and credit check are preformed. They go back an double check each piece of information provided. They do almost an under writing type of background check on everything. They require certain proof and it may take about 20 days of waiting before they let you know if you are accepted by NYL. Then they make you take the License testing. They tell you it's 10 days. The course website support staff say it takes 25 days and it really takes about 30 days if you have a job. Then after you pay for the license you get reimbursed. Then the State of Colorado has to approve your license. Then NYL has to approve your license. Then they have to communicate you need to provide additional information on you application. In total it may take a couple of months before you actually get approved by NYL corporate, NYL local chapter. After that process they make you sign 3 contracts. Be ready to listen. ASK for a copy. I asked for one and they never gave me one. The process takes a long time. During this time you just wait and wonder why it takes so long. Also, EVEN if you reach their sales goals, it is at their "DISCRETION" if they want to hire you "full-time" or not. Beware and ask and tell them to put it in writing if it is not correct.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview process. It's hard to convince people to work without any sort of compensation during 3 months. If you don't reach their sales guidelines, they will hire you on what they call a "full time basis" when you are already in training and calling people for them on your own time on a full time basis. They expect for you to complete certain amount of points per day. This may take full time work that is not accounted for. I mean, they do not pay you during the vesting and hiring process - all while you are scheduled to take classes with out compensation.   View Answer
    Strictly commission base. No base salary at beginning, unless you reach their sales goals, they pay for expenses and training. If you do not reach their sales goals, not a penny will be compensated for.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview process was on the easy side. It is an all commission job so they aren't looking for people that aren't ready to put in the work, they can sense if you are going to or not right away. They are very up front and straight forward with the commission structure and how tough the business is. Great opportunity to really see what you are worth. You determine your own destiny

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can strive in an all commission role?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills