New York Life

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manchester, NH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process 3 meetings so that you understand fully what you are going to be doing and how you will achieve success, you must also get licensed. I recommend you find a managing partner you enjoy working for it makes the best out of the experience.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions asked, just fully read everything and if you have questions ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is really negotiable.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interview Details – It feels like they are trying to sell the position to me and makes me believe that there are a lot of potentials to make a lot of money.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult to answer   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went on two interviews with NY Life. I believe they found my resume on Career builder, as they were 1 of about 15 insurance companies to contact me. I liked the people that I met with, thought they were all very nice and personable.
They make it very clear that there is potential to make a lot of money if you work with them.

I definitely felt I was being "sold", rather than being interviewed. I did my homework on the company, but I didn't feel that they did their homework on me.

I was told in my first interview that I had been flagged for a management position. I found out later that the management opportunity wouldn't come for several years.

The position is 100% commission. They will try and skirt any questions about compensation until the 3rd interview.

If this sort of position is your bag. Then go for it. Not for me though.

Interview Question – I was not really asked any traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glendale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very different. It started with a personality test that you must pass in order to get a second interview. Next, questions needed to be answered on a computer, and you typed them out rather then speaking face to face. Then after you answered the questions you would talk about your answers in person.

Interview Question – When did you make a bad decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty painless. I spoke with a Managing Partner and he gave me details of the company and what the potential income i could earn as an agent.

Interview Question – New York Life checks everything on your resume and also your background as well as your credit. If anything pops up you will have to fix before you get an offer   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2012.

Interview Details – Met at job fair, was called to schedule interview couple days later. Recruiter seemed desperate to hire. Did interviews. Husband/wife team, appeared glamorous and kind as if your best interest was paramount to them. Had second interview with managing partner who broke down compensation some. Not forthright with how one is paid

Interview Question – Why isn't money the most important thing to you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None except school schedule

Melville, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – Giving the idea of having a great opportunity at a fortune 100 company, being a sales position the reward may be very beneficial or not. Many people are hired and more people quit, Classes of new agents come every month and teach you about financial products and services. Not many people will be turned away from this position.

Interview Question – Can you handle full commission and be rejected from thousands of people day in and day out?   Answer Question

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Referred by current employee, introduced to hiring manager

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Went on interview, pretty standard. Had me fill out some qualifiers online, then talked in person

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took a different offer

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Initially met an agent at a career expo. Got a call the next day to set up an interview. After the first interview, got scheduled for a second interview the upcoming week. After the second interview, got a packet for a sales project to get me started.

Interview Question – What do you fear the most?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It just didn't feel right for me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Insurance Sales Agent interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.