New York Life

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty painless. I spoke with a Managing Partner and he gave me details of the company and what the potential income i could earn as an agent.

Interview Question – New York Life checks everything on your resume and also your background as well as your credit. If anything pops up you will have to fix before you get an offer   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2012.

Interview Details – Met at job fair, was called to schedule interview couple days later. Recruiter seemed desperate to hire. Did interviews. Husband/wife team, appeared glamorous and kind as if your best interest was paramount to them. Had second interview with managing partner who broke down compensation some. Not forthright with how one is paid

Interview Question – Why isn't money the most important thing to you?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None except school schedule

Melville, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – Giving the idea of having a great opportunity at a fortune 100 company, being a sales position the reward may be very beneficial or not. Many people are hired and more people quit, Classes of new agents come every month and teach you about financial products and services. Not many people will be turned away from this position.

Interview Question – Can you handle full commission and be rejected from thousands of people day in and day out?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interview Details – Referred by current employee, introduced to hiring manager

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Went on interview, pretty standard. Had me fill out some qualifiers online, then talked in person

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took a different offer

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Initially met an agent at a career expo. Got a call the next day to set up an interview. After the first interview, got scheduled for a second interview the upcoming week. After the second interview, got a packet for a sales project to get me started.

Interview Question – What do you fear the most?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It just didn't feel right for me.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not even sure what the job title would have been for this position! I got a call to schedule an interview and I didn't even think I had applied...but I figured, why not just go for the interview and see what happens? I got there for the interview and there were 2 other people waiting for what seemed to be the same position - one was a woman who was probably in her 40's and the other was a young man who had just graduated from college (as I overheard him tell the receptionist) - I'm 33. The interview was the strangest thing...it seemed like the person I met with (a senior partner) was trying to sell me on the job! I've always had to sell myself to the company... Then I had to take an aptitude test to see if I was even a good fit...hmmm... And at the end, I was told that he would let me know the results and I should call him if interested. I was confused - was he calling me? Or was I calling him? He explained that I should call him... I wish all job interviewers told me to call them if I wanted to pursue the job after the interview!

Interview Question – How do you feel about selling to friends/family?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The interviewer skirted around the answer when I asked about the salary. I needed to know that I would have some sort of a base - not only make commission. It didn't matter to me that I would have the "potential" to earn 6-figures in one year if I couldn't get a guarantee that I would earn $6 in one week.

Very Easy Interview

Flushing, NY

I applied through other source and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Placed resume on career builder and received multiple emails from this company as well as others like. Went to the interview which took three days, found out that you need to take a course in order to become licensed which was almost $300. To sum it up I declined.

Interview Question – How do you feel about door to door sales 0_o   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was told I was coming in for a paid position and not commission based

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in April 2013.

Interview Details – long process

Interview Question – where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i havent got this phase

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview Details – This consisted of three interviews a long way away, one interview with the local office and extensive screening online. One thing about the interviews, they're more like presentations to you. They don't ask very much about you or your history. It's all about explaining the company and what you're expected to do.

Interview Question – There weren't any questions about me   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Insurance Sales Agent interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.