New York Life Insurance Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Brooklyn, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Process took about a month. First interview with a partner, second was a compensation meeting where they make you believe you can earn six figures in first year. Third interview was more difficult, but still got an offer to start training. They have high turnover so will hire anyone.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life in August 2009.

Interview

Interviewer asked routine questions about my history, schooling, activities, etc. Then proceeded to give me a history and reasons to consider working for the number one insurance and financial service in the industry. The partner that interviewed me was very pleasant and enjoyable. They seemed very enthusiastic about their job and was very ambitious to add to his team.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a normal day of Sales and your route.   Answer Question
    • How do you feel like you could contribute to New York Life? Why should we consider you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Orlando, FL) in February 2009.

Interview

the interview was average, they ask you basic questions about the financial services industry. Your past sales experience, the amount of contacts you have (expecting between 100-200). Ask about your aspirations to start your own business, etc. Very professional, good interview

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the financial services industry   1 Answer
    • Have your or would you ever want to start your own business?   1 Answer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewing in progress. So far I talked on the phone and met with the general partner, who was using some basic scare tactics that I'm bet some newbies like me actually fall for. Haven't done much more with the process, one reason being the background check requires that I have four references that I've known for over 5 years. I've only been in college for 4, so none of the connections that I've met here qualifies. I still haven't wrapped my head around how I'm going to get a list of 200 people whom I would consider my natural market (family and friends), and whom I can sell life insurance to (again, I'm 22, and mommy and daddy and friends aren't exactly loaded). Anyway, it will be some good practice for me to keep on going with the interview. Maybe the private equity group would be a better fit, but that's probably what everybody else is saying. I'll know once I'm done posting, since my free preview of glassdoor ran out.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

Interview

Everything with NYLIC seemed on the up-and-up but the description of the job and interview process seemed like more of a sales pitch than what I would have expected. The process consisted of three interviews. The first was comprised of taking a personality test and understanding exactly what NYLIC was and how they became the leader in Insurance. The partner in the office sent me home with 2 workbooks to complete by the next week. The second interview explained what NLYIC sold (whole life, term life, mutual funds, etc) and gave me a Project 200 to fill out. This is essentially a list of every person you may know that you can sell life insurance to. I ended up calling him before the third interview and telling him that I was no longer interested in the job because of the project 200. I did not feel comfortable selling to my family and friends and I read the other reviews which said that you don't make the $90,000 that they promise you.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell insurance to a member of your family?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rye, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Rye, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

was reached through my resume posted on careerbuilder.com. was asked to come in. reaced office. waited in lobby. met with interviewee. seemed to talk about her ex-bf too much. asked questions about myself, went over resume. asked details.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

It was a one-on-one meeting followed by a personality test. The meeting is more like a sales pitch and they're vague about what ,if any, salary is offered. The questions were mainly personality based to determine whether you are determined and have the drive necessary to succeed.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

It is a long interview process (about different interviews). I am scheduled for a second interview with a sr partner. First interview lasted almost two hours and it was with a former sales agent that decided to go into management. So far both interviews have gone well, people are very pleasant and it seems that they want to make sure that you are fully aware of the cons and pros of becoming a financial service consultant (sales person)

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest achievment. Interview questions are traditional (non behavioral interview questions).   1 Answer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Interview

Not clear about what they wanted from an employee. Upon asking some queries was not responded accurately.

Commission based

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Immediately had a response from the local office the next wanting to schedule an interview. The recruiter was actually quite pushy to get me to come in and interview. The initial interview seemed more like a sales pitch rather than an interview.

The power 200 list killed it for me