New York Life

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.5

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in August 2009.

Interviewer asked routine questions about my history, schooling, activities, etc. Then proceeded to give me a history and reasons to consider working for the number one insurance and financial service in the industry. The partner that interviewed me was very pleasant and enjoyable. They seemed very enthusiastic about their job and was very ambitious to add to his team.

Interview Questions
  • Give me an example of a normal day of Sales and your route.   Answer Question
  • How do you feel like you could contribute to New York Life? Why should we consider you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in February 2009.

the interview was average, they ask you basic questions about the financial services industry. Your past sales experience, the amount of contacts you have (expecting between 100-200). Ask about your aspirations to start your own business, etc. Very professional, good interview

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of the financial services industry   View Answer
    • Have your or would you ever want to start your own business?   View Answer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interviewing in progress.

So far I talked on the phone and met with the general partner, who was using some basic scare tactics that I'm bet some newbies like me actually fall for.

Haven't done much more with the process, one reason being the background check requires that I have four references that I've known for over 5 years. I've only been in college for 4, so none of the connections that I've met here qualifies.

I still haven't wrapped my head around how I'm going to get a list of 200 people whom I would consider my natural market (family and friends), and whom I can sell life insurance to (again, I'm 22, and mommy and daddy and friends aren't exactly loaded).

Anyway, it will be some good practice for me to keep on going with the interview. Maybe the private equity group would be a better fit, but that's probably what everybody else is saying. I'll know once I'm done posting, since my free preview of glassdoor ran out.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

Everything with NYLIC seemed on the up-and-up but the description of the job and interview process seemed like more of a sales pitch than what I would have expected. The process consisted of three interviews. The first was comprised of taking a personality test and understanding exactly what NYLIC was and how they became the leader in Insurance. The partner in the office sent me home with 2 workbooks to complete by the next week. The second interview explained what NLYIC sold (whole life, term life, mutual funds, etc) and gave me a Project 200 to fill out. This is essentially a list of every person you may know that you can sell life insurance to. I ended up calling him before the third interview and telling him that I was no longer interested in the job because of the project 200. I did not feel comfortable selling to my family and friends and I read the other reviews which said that you don't make the $90,000 that they promise you.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell insurance to a member of your family?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Applied online. Immediately had a response from the local office the next wanting to schedule an interview. The recruiter was actually quite pushy to get me to come in and interview. The initial interview seemed more like a sales pitch rather than an interview.

The power 200 list killed it for me

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Not clear about what they wanted from an employee. Upon asking some queries was not responded accurately.

Commission based

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rye, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

was reached through my resume posted on careerbuilder.com. was asked to come in. reaced office. waited in lobby. met with interviewee. seemed to talk about her ex-bf too much. asked questions about myself, went over resume. asked details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

It was a one-on-one meeting followed by a personality test. The meeting is more like a sales pitch and they're vague about what ,if any, salary is offered. The questions were mainly personality based to determine whether you are determined and have the drive necessary to succeed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life in January 2011.

The hiring process is long. Three interviews then meeting the staff then training. All before you get hired. The interviewer makes you feel like they are picky but there not. The more theyh have under them the better. The make you feel like the interview process is them choosing you but reaally you are choosing them

Interview Questions

I decided the industry was not for me. If i would have stayed in insurance i would have chose New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life in October 2012.

There is a three step interview process. First, telephone interview then face-to-face. I was told they would select only about five people out of the 100 or so they were interviewing to move on to step three which was a more in-depth overview of the company and compensation options.

Interview Questions
    • What are three most important traits of a good salesperson?   Answer Question

Commission only position