New York Life Insurance Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.5

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Everything went smoothly - no questions were too out of the ordinary. Definitely get the sense that they're selling you their company instead of the other way around.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not even sure what the job title would have been for this position! I got a call to schedule an interview and I didn't even think I had applied...but I figured, why not just go for the interview and see what happens? I got there for the interview and there were 2 other people waiting for what seemed to be the same position - one was a woman who was probably in her 40's and the other was a young man who had just graduated from college (as I overheard him tell the receptionist) - I'm 33. The interview was the strangest thing...it seemed like the person I met with (a senior partner) was trying to sell me on the job! I've always had to sell myself to the company... Then I had to take an aptitude test to see if I was even a good fit...hmmm... And at the end, I was told that he would let me know the results and I should call him if interested. I was confused - was he calling me? Or was I calling him? He explained that I should call him... I wish all job interviewers told me to call them if I wanted to pursue the job after the interview!

Interview Questions

The interviewer skirted around the answer when I asked about the salary. I needed to know that I would have some sort of a base - not only make commission. It didn't matter to me that I would have the "potential" to earn 6-figures in one year if I couldn't get a guarantee that I would earn $6 in one week.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Initially met an agent at a career expo. Got a call the next day to set up an interview. After the first interview, got scheduled for a second interview the upcoming week. After the second interview, got a packet for a sales project to get me started.

Interview Questions

It just didn't feel right for me.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Went on interview, pretty standard. Had me fill out some qualifiers online, then talked in person

Took a different offer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

This consisted of three interviews a long way away, one interview with the local office and extensive screening online. One thing about the interviews, they're more like presentations to you. They don't ask very much about you or your history. It's all about explaining the company and what you're expected to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flushing, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flushing, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life.

Placed resume on career builder and received multiple emails from this company as well as others like. Went to the interview which took three days, found out that you need to take a course in order to become licensed which was almost $300. To sum it up I declined.

Interview Questions

I was told I was coming in for a paid position and not commission based

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2009.

I'm not exactly sure what their goal of the interview is. They tell you that they are doing a "screening process"
    to see if the career is a good fit for you. Somehow it seems to me like they are just trying to get free hot leads. I'm not sure exactly what their recruiting structure is. They seem to withhold information for some time before they allow you access to it. Predominantly the commission information. Strange process.

Interview Questions
    • Not many questions where asked, if any.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

10 Years Background Check and Fingerprints Check.
    It is necessary to hear to a week course of lectures. To buy the book - $100.00. Then it is necessary to hand over 2 computer examinations at office. After that you suppose to examination on Manhattan. To hand over it it is possible some time. Each examination - $50.00

Interview Questions
    Not to trust their promises

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

A recruiter contacted me and set up an appointment. The interview process probably lasted around an hour. The staffed seemed to be barely working. They had made me wait for quite a bit before actually taking me into the office. The office seemed very unprofessional and something I really did not want to become a part of.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

We were sat down in a room and told to explain why we wanted this job. They explained to us the steps of the hiring process and basic benefits of the job. I did see a drawback immediately.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you have shown initiative in a previous sales position?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think your personality is suited for this job field?   Answer Question

I did not accept this position but there was no salary involved it was all commission. I believe that is a scam and I would rather not be forced to do a all commission based job.