New York Life Insurance Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Tacoma, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I have no experience with insurance or sales and I was called in for an interview. The interview itself consisted of watching a video of what the company was about and the inevitable questions from the employer. None of the questions were difficult at all. I was asked to come back in for an informational session. After the interview I decided not to go back, the employer was looking for personnel to work more long term than I could provide. The overall atmosphere was great and I would recommend to someone who is looking for quick work.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were very general interview questions. Employer is looking for personnel who connect with others and are great with sales.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Interview was pretty painless. I spoke with a Managing Partner and he gave me details of the company and what the potential income i could earn as an agent.

Interview Questions

• New York Life checks everything on your resume and also your background as well as your credit. If anything pops up you will have to fix before you get an offer   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life (Tysons Corner, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from a new york life insurance recruiter within 4 days. The interview was scheduled for the following week. The interview took about an hour. After that they asked me to take a personality test.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I went on two interviews with NY Life. I believe they found my resume on Career builder, as they were 1 of about 15 insurance companies to contact me. I liked the people that I met with, thought they were all very nice and personable.
    They make it very clear that there is potential to make a lot of money if you work with them.

I definitely felt I was being "sold", rather than being interviewed. I did my homework on the company, but I didn't feel that they did their homework on me.

I was told in my first interview that I had been flagged for a management position. I found out later that the management opportunity wouldn't come for several years.

The position is 100% commission. They will try and skirt any questions about compensation until the 3rd interview.

If this sort of position is your bag. Then go for it. Not for me though.

Interview Questions

• I was not really asked any traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very different. It started with a personality test that you must pass in order to get a second interview. Next, questions needed to be answered on a computer, and you typed them out rather then speaking face to face. Then after you answered the questions you would talk about your answers in person.

Interview Questions

• When did you make a bad decision? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Interview

Referred by current employee, introduced to hiring manager

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Went on interview, pretty standard. Had me fill out some qualifiers online, then talked in person

Took a different offer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

Interview

Met recruiter through a career fair and was interviewed shortly thereafter. The offer was made shortly after the interview. Complete psychological test was completed. The offer was made within 3 weeks.

Negotiation

None as the employment criteria for sales agents is quite set.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Interview

Initially met an agent at a career expo. Got a call the next day to set up an interview. After the first interview, got scheduled for a second interview the upcoming week. After the second interview, got a packet for a sales project to get me started.

Interview Questions

It just didn't feel right for me.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Interview

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not even sure what the job title would have been for this position! I got a call to schedule an interview and I didn't even think I had applied...but I figured, why not just go for the interview and see what happens? I got there for the interview and there were 2 other people waiting for what seemed to be the same position - one was a woman who was probably in her 40's and the other was a young man who had just graduated from college (as I overheard him tell the receptionist) - I'm 33. The interview was the strangest thing...it seemed like the person I met with (a senior partner) was trying to sell me on the job! I've always had to sell myself to the company... Then I had to take an aptitude test to see if I was even a good fit...hmmm... And at the end, I was told that he would let me know the results and I should call him if interested. I was confused - was he calling me? Or was I calling him? He explained that I should call him... I wish all job interviewers told me to call them if I wanted to pursue the job after the interview!

Interview Questions

The interviewer skirted around the answer when I asked about the salary. I needed to know that I would have some sort of a base - not only make commission. It didn't matter to me that I would have the "potential" to earn 6-figures in one year if I couldn't get a guarantee that I would earn $6 in one week.