New York Life

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in September 2010.

Interview Details – Received a blast email which at the time I believed was a personal one as it referenced that they had seen my resume on a job site. They interview and "hire" 100 people a week. No salary just a commission and a lot of fluff about the great opportunity. The reality is it is a come one, come all, cattle call and everyone qualifies. It comes down to being given a phone and told to dial friends and family and sell them on insurance. Don't expect to last more than a few weeks.

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions, they don't ask anything, they just sell you   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – 10 Years Background Check and Fingerprints Check.
It is necessary to hear to a week course of lectures. To buy the book - $100.00. Then it is necessary to hand over 2 computer examinations at office. After that you suppose to examination on Manhattan. To hand over it it is possible some time. Each examination - $50.00

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not to trust their promises

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – We were sat down in a room and told to explain why we wanted this job. They explained to us the steps of the hiring process and basic benefits of the job. I did see a drawback immediately.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you have shown initiative in a previous sales position?   Answer Question
  • Why do you think your personality is suited for this job field?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not accept this position but there was no salary involved it was all commission. I believe that is a scam and I would rather not be forced to do a all commission based job.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Orlando, FL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2009.

Interview Details – the interview was average, they ask you basic questions about the financial services industry. Your past sales experience, the amount of contacts you have (expecting between 100-200). Ask about your aspirations to start your own business, etc. Very professional, good interview

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the financial services industry   View Answer
  • Have your or would you ever want to start your own business?   View Answer

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewer asked routine questions about my history, schooling, activities, etc. Then proceeded to give me a history and reasons to consider working for the number one insurance and financial service in the industry. The partner that interviewed me was very pleasant and enjoyable. They seemed very enthusiastic about their job and was very ambitious to add to his team.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a normal day of Sales and your route.   Answer Question
  • How do you feel like you could contribute to New York Life? Why should we consider you?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2009.

Interview Details – I'm not exactly sure what their goal of the interview is. They tell you that they are doing a "screening process"
to see if the career is a good fit for you. Somehow it seems to me like they are just trying to get free hot leads. I'm not sure exactly what their recruiting structure is. They seem to withhold information for some time before they allow you access to it. Predominantly the commission information. Strange process.

Interview Question – Not many questions where asked, if any.   View Answer

Miami, FL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a Partner after applying for a sales job at this company. I was asked to come in at which point they asked me typical interview questions such as: what qualities make you suitable with you? how do you deal with rejection? name your best friend.... then five adjectives that your friend would give you. After 10 or so questions you are taken to a room for a personality test. Once you pass you talk with the partner again and get referred to the second group interview where they talk about salary, training, and compensation. The three are not discussed in the first interview.

Interview Question – What are 5 adjectives your best friend would describe you as.   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through college or university and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Everything went smoothly - no questions were too out of the ordinary. Definitely get the sense that they're selling you their company instead of the other way around.

Interview Question – Who would your natural market to sell to be?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Interview Details – Not clear about what they wanted from an employee. Upon asking some queries was not responded accurately.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Commission based

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Immediately had a response from the local office the next wanting to schedule an interview. The recruiter was actually quite pushy to get me to come in and interview. The initial interview seemed more like a sales pitch rather than an interview.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The power 200 list killed it for me