New York Life

2.5

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in February 2009.

the interview was average, they ask you basic questions about the financial services industry. Your past sales experience, the amount of contacts you have (expecting between 100-200). Ask about your aspirations to start your own business, etc. Very professional, good interview

Interview Questions
  • What do you think of the financial services industry   View Answer
  • Have your or would you ever want to start your own business?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

The recruiter was really nice. Not too many questions that you should answer. In the first interview, they just introduced the company and asked you to complete an assessment online.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Everything went smoothly - no questions were too out of the ordinary. Definitely get the sense that they're selling you their company instead of the other way around.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Not clear about what they wanted from an employee. Upon asking some queries was not responded accurately.

Commission based

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

Applied online. Immediately had a response from the local office the next wanting to schedule an interview. The recruiter was actually quite pushy to get me to come in and interview. The initial interview seemed more like a sales pitch rather than an interview.

The power 200 list killed it for me

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

Everything with NYLIC seemed on the up-and-up but the description of the job and interview process seemed like more of a sales pitch than what I would have expected. The process consisted of three interviews. The first was comprised of taking a personality test and understanding exactly what NYLIC was and how they became the leader in Insurance. The partner in the office sent me home with 2 workbooks to complete by the next week. The second interview explained what NLYIC sold (whole life, term life, mutual funds, etc) and gave me a Project 200 to fill out. This is essentially a list of every person you may know that you can sell life insurance to. I ended up calling him before the third interview and telling him that I was no longer interested in the job because of the project 200. I did not feel comfortable selling to my family and friends and I read the other reviews which said that you don't make the $90,000 that they promise you.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell insurance to a member of your family?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

A recruiter contacted me and set up an appointment. The interview process probably lasted around an hour. The staffed seemed to be barely working. They had made me wait for quite a bit before actually taking me into the office. The office seemed very unprofessional and something I really did not want to become a part of.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interviewing in progress.

So far I talked on the phone and met with the general partner, who was using some basic scare tactics that I'm bet some newbies like me actually fall for.

Haven't done much more with the process, one reason being the background check requires that I have four references that I've known for over 5 years. I've only been in college for 4, so none of the connections that I've met here qualifies.

I still haven't wrapped my head around how I'm going to get a list of 200 people whom I would consider my natural market (family and friends), and whom I can sell life insurance to (again, I'm 22, and mommy and daddy and friends aren't exactly loaded).

Anyway, it will be some good practice for me to keep on going with the interview. Maybe the private equity group would be a better fit, but that's probably what everybody else is saying. I'll know once I'm done posting, since my free preview of glassdoor ran out.