New York Life

Updated Aug 5, 2014

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2009.

Interview Details – My interviewer was very persistent and did not allow me enough time for responses. She was very rude and at times, stated that I would not get the position. But New York Life usually initiates a phone interview with all applicants. I highly recommend treating the phone interview like an actual interview

Interview Question – How did you hear about our company.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – I had one initial phone interview with HR just talking about basic behavioral questions and what type of internship I was interested in. About a month later I had another phone interview with a manager in the division specific to what I was interested in. In both interviews the questions were mostly behavioral and about my previous internship experience.

Interview Questions

Intern

The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and the company got back to me with a response within a week. Then, two other applicants and I were brought in for a group interview and a personality assessment. Most of the questions were behavioral in nature. I was offered a position right after the interview.

Interview Question – Describe your leadership experience.   Answer Question

Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very basic. He asked me questions about myself and my past experiences. He asked me if I had any experience in the life insurance business and he said no. He also asked me why I wanted to work in the insurance industry. I was asked to talk about myself and ask him questions at the end of the interview. He made me feel like I got the job even though I was not offered another interview.

Interview Question – Why insurance   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2011.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews, the first with an HR representatives and the second with the person who later became my boss. The second interview with the boss was mainly about personality and skill set and your ability to mesh well with the group or department wishing to hire you as an intern.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you out of all of the people applying for this position?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about experiences you have had working in groups and being a leader.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was a phone interview for an actuarial internship. VEry basic predictable questions. However,I did not receive the internship because I had not passed any actuarial exams. They petty much require you to have passed at least one.

Interview Question – How do you do in groups?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university career website, approved for interview request. Interview was simple, nothing really surprising, mostly behavioral questions. Called in for 2nd round interview at NY HQ. Orientation, lunch meet and greet, 5 one-on-one interviews for the duration of 4 hours. Mostly behavioral questions, with some specificity to the insurance industry.

Interview Question – What is statutory accounting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't budge on salary since housing is provided at a local university

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Met the partner at a career fair and got signed up for an interview the next morning. Initial interview was very informative about the company, office, and position. A second interview was scheduled immediately two days later. More extensive interview, lasted about an hour. A third interview was to be scheduled at my convenience and interest.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Applied through a campus recruiting tool. A recruiter followed up with an email and a personality test. Then there was a one on one interview with the Partner. Very quick and easy process.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Relatively easy one-round interview. The questions were almost entirely behavioral in nature with a few simple technical questions thrown in. The interviewer was mostly trying to get a sense of how I would perform in a group with other interns as well as with potential and existing clients.

Interview Question – General interview questions, strengths, weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!