New York Life

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2009.

Interview Details – My interviewer was very persistent and did not allow me enough time for responses. She was very rude and at times, stated that I would not get the position. But New York Life usually initiates a phone interview with all applicants. I highly recommend treating the phone interview like an actual interview

Interview Question – How did you hear about our company.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very basic. He asked me questions about myself and my past experiences. He asked me if I had any experience in the life insurance business and he said no. He also asked me why I wanted to work in the insurance industry. I was asked to talk about myself and ask him questions at the end of the interview. He made me feel like I got the job even though I was not offered another interview.

Interview Question – Why insurance   Answer Question

Intern

The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and the company got back to me with a response within a week. Then, two other applicants and I were brought in for a group interview and a personality assessment. Most of the questions were behavioral in nature. I was offered a position right after the interview.

Interview Question – Describe your leadership experience.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Met the partner at a career fair and got signed up for an interview the next morning. Initial interview was very informative about the company, office, and position. A second interview was scheduled immediately two days later. More extensive interview, lasted about an hour. A third interview was to be scheduled at my convenience and interest.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university career website, approved for interview request. Interview was simple, nothing really surprising, mostly behavioral questions. Called in for 2nd round interview at NY HQ. Orientation, lunch meet and greet, 5 one-on-one interviews for the duration of 4 hours. Mostly behavioral questions, with some specificity to the insurance industry.

Interview Question – What is statutory accounting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't budge on salary since housing is provided at a local university

Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was a phone interview for an actuarial internship. VEry basic predictable questions. However,I did not receive the internship because I had not passed any actuarial exams. They petty much require you to have passed at least one.

Interview Question – How do you do in groups?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2011.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews, the first with an HR representatives and the second with the person who later became my boss. The second interview with the boss was mainly about personality and skill set and your ability to mesh well with the group or department wishing to hire you as an intern.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you out of all of the people applying for this position?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about experiences you have had working in groups and being a leader.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – I had one initial phone interview with HR just talking about basic behavioral questions and what type of internship I was interested in. About a month later I had another phone interview with a manager in the division specific to what I was interested in. In both interviews the questions were mostly behavioral and about my previous internship experience.

Interview Questions

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Relatively easy one-round interview. The questions were almost entirely behavioral in nature with a few simple technical questions thrown in. The interviewer was mostly trying to get a sense of how I would perform in a group with other interns as well as with potential and existing clients.

Interview Question – General interview questions, strengths, weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Bakersfield, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details – They take you out to lunch to prove they have the money but in actuality are struggling with money themselves. They usually skim your name off career sites and cold call, hoping to get you to come in.

Interview Question – Tell me your most recent challenge and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was promised many things so my negotiation was relatively easy. However, it was the minimal results that were not pleasing. Everything was said yes to, then when it was expected, the manager and others rarely came through.

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.