New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.4

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Latham, NY).

Interview

Personable. The process was more about examining my character and priorities than skill set or education/experience. Informative- was introduced to a happy close-knit group currently employed and then a casual conversation about family, savings/spending practices, goals and expectations. I had huge concerns about the commission click down, and rightfully so, as I learned quickly to keep up the pace and follow the track set forth.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about salespeople? What has been your financial experience thus far in life -good, bad the ugly? How will you balance a start up business and family time?   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Wall, NJ).

Interview

Three interview process, 1st interview to get to know each other and the company. 2nd interview give an overview of the position and how to be successful. Given homework to call fifteen people you know and ask them to answer a questionnaire to get a feel and understand if you are able to complete the job requirements.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX).

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and came in and met with the recruiter two days later. Good interview where recruiter extolled all the great virtues of the company. It's a great company, no denying that. Makes it sound very easy to succeed in the business. Came back a few days later for 2nd interview with managing director of office for ~30 mins then sat in a pre-training session with 2 others. Managing director gave me prospect forms to call people I know with a survey to get a feel for what the position would be like.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL).

Interview

It was very easy, consisted of a few brief interviews on multiple different days. They had easy questions, about life future and what you want from the company, why your an asset ect. Its a revolving door, they will pretty much hire anyone

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

CVP Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Had multiple interviews which were all positive but this is the "Good Old Boys Club". Don't bother applying if you are a very well educated female. Experience does not matter.Sales experience is important to them even if the role does is not around the sales process. HR will lead you on for a long time. Feel they use females to state they interviewed several candidates for each position.

Interview Questions

• Even though the position was not sales function, they asked about sales experience.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Very Long, takes about 2-3 months to get hired, especially if you do not have your license to start. Then you get put in class at their location for a week to learn. then you must sell a certain amount of life insurance applications to get paid from there.

Interview Questions

• They want to know can you hustle and get sales on your own   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Phone Interview. Very nice recruiter. But was highly offended by the request to agree to submit a paystub from my previous employer prior to hire, should they hire me.

Typically, that kind of request is reserved for commissioned sales people and being I am not one, this sent me scouring advice from lawyers, HR recruiters and managers at other companies. No one I spoke to (all seasoned professionals) thought this sounded legal or ethical. The very nature of this request is one of distrust. You (the employer) distrust me from the beginning, and everyone knows that's starting a relationship on the wrong foot and likely to end up worse as time progresses. If we both agree on the salary range offered and New York Life sees value in me as a candidate, my previous salary is irrelevant, and further, is NOT due to you in documented format as an employer right.

Stay clear of this company based on this criteria alone. I was told by the recruiter that "many financial and insurance companies operate on this policy." I have a collective 15 years of experience at both and have never been required to oblige to such an invasive and unethical request.

Interview Questions

• Do you agree to submit a paystub from your current employer prior to hire?   7 Answers

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter first then if you do well in that, you meet with your perspective manager and the VP of the department. They ask normal interview questions and want to make sure that you are capable of multiple tasking. Let them know you're a fast learner and that you relish being under pressure

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why us, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, salary is pretty low and in order to get paid for OT you have to get approved by your manager first

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Met the guy at the job fair and got interview offer at the job fair. I looked at the reviews on glassdoor before I went there, and I though it might not be the job for me but I'll go there for the experience. The guy who interviewed me asked me only one question - tell me about your education and experienece. and he talked about their programs and invited me to the compensation seminar. I'll not go there anyways.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your education and experience. THAT'S IT.   Answer Question