New York Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Life Insurance Agent
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an manager's assistant after I posted my resume to a job website. She set up a meeting with a manager. He interviewed me then had me take a career assessment survey. After that I was to follow up with him the next day to go over my results. I passed, so I continued on to the compensation/training group interview. I chose at that point that the position was not for me.

Interview Question – Key qualities that have been passed down from a mentor.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter that invited me in to learn more about the business. He went through the entire process that I would do with each potential client and asked if I could do that. He explained the success rate in the industry at New York Life, talked about the manager roles available and explained the income potential was limitless. He specifically addressed the top 2% of high earners at New York Life but failed to mention that they were the top 2%.

Interview Question – Can you attain your securities license within three months?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is a standard non negotiated offer/contract.

Career Advisor Interview

Career Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Within just there weeks since I posted my resume on a job-links website I was contacted via an email from the NYL recruiter for an in-person interview. The introduction interview was scheduled quickly along the later day of week. My first impression of the NYL recruiter was friendly, professional, thorough and tactful. The actual interview took about an hour. Followed by a Personality Test that NYL requires for assessing the candidate's "potential" career path within the lines of field agent or corporate management's role. It's very clear throughout the whole process that NYL recruits are well-trained and well-prepared for screening and hiring the prospects.

Interview Question – What my prior career experiences can apply to the life insurance business?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Agent Interview

Sales Agent
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed many times (4 to be specific). The 1st is with the recruiter. The 2nd is likely that with a Partner. The 3rd is likely the Executive Partner or Group. The 4th is back with the Partner. There are tasks to be completed after the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – What are your motivations? Please list 3 in the order of importance... Please explain each.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiation, because it is a sales position. It is a matter of how much do you believe you can sale without a safety net. I would definitely reconsider if this is your first job. Actually, I would doubt they would offer you the job if it is your first.

Marketing Team Interview

Marketing Team
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – The people were genuine, but the interview process wasn't effective. As a candidate, those on the team that met with me during two interview cycles did not convey a clear picture of what the position really would entail. It seemed as if perhaps the role wasn't clearly identified before they tried filling a staffing hole or newly created position. I was offered the job, which I declined.

Interview Question – How have you worked to improve a weakness of yours?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Agent
Roseville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life in June 2012.

Interview Details – There were four or five thorough interviews. The manager took his time to know me, explain the opportunity and allow me to "interview" him, as well. He even had my wife come in for one interview, to introduce the company and explain the income opportunity to her. The hiring manager was my working manager after being hired, and was very easy to work with.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Sales Agent

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – I received a phone call and was told there would be 4 interview rounds and they will help me finish step by step. The second round is a face-to-face interview. This job is good for people who have good communication and sales skill and commission-based

Reason for Declining – I am interested in another job

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – It was a very simple process. I applied through an online posting and within the next half an hour I received a phone call to meet in person. The next day I had a brief meeting time that I wouldn’t quite say was an interview. It was more of why I applied for the position and if I would be willing to do certain tasks. Overall, it was a sales position, so I wasn’t as interested. It seems like a great company to work for though.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this position?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2013.

Interview Details – Easy and plainness. You take a test to see how "motivated" you are to take the job. The interview was a one on one with a New York Life manager. They will review the questionnaire that you answer and proceed to ask a few other questions about availability and experience.

Interview Question – "Are you motivated?" Of course, I wouldn't have applied.   Answer Question

Harrisburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – An extended process, with at least 6-8 meetings with management. You are expected to wear formal business attire, be punctual, be prepared, First meeting is group meeting, then one on one meetings are held. A formal background check is required. You initial contract offered will be a temporary contract, with a minimum sales quota is required. If this is not met within 6 months, then you will not be offered a formal contract.

Interview Question – You will need to take a test that measured personality   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!