New York Life

Very Difficult Interview

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Santa Rosa, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was long..... We met almost a dozen times. They do a credit check, a background check, and there are mounds of paperwork. Yet you want it, because it's worth it. The office is beautiful. The people in the office are professions and friendly, and it's a great opportunity. It's definitely not an easy job to get. They want to make quadruple sure that you're the real thing. Still go for it. It IS worth it.

Interview Question – "How much do you want it?" I know it doesn't seem like a hard question. You could say anything. But they want specifics. They want to know how much you need to make a living, and what desire you have and whether you're willing to work hard for it. It's definitely a loaded question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Sales Interview

Financial Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview Details – The people were awesome that I met. I had to do a lot of work for the second interview and fill out a booklet and basically spend hours writing about my future plans. The second interview consisted of a panel of 3 people shooting questions about my sales personality. I was asked if I knew a lot of people in the area.

Interview Question – Make a three minute speech about yourself.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had 4 interviews but every day is kind of like an interview. They expect you to hit your projections every week.

Interview Question – What were my motivation for working for New York Life.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional
Dayton, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Interview Question – TIme waiting to get approved   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2008.

Interview Details – Phone call from HR to set up personality & skills test. Then did one on one interview with direct manager, then second interview with other manager.

Interview Question – How would you handle another co-worker who accused you of being unprofessional?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation process; 100% commission

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – There is a long hiring process - you have to do tests to see if you can work independently, are self motivated, can do basis math, and are adept for a career in sales. There is also a background check and credit check. If you can't pass the background or credit check, you will not get past this part. I think about 90% of folks don't make it past the 1st interview.

Interview Question – How would you handle a long slump in sales?   Answer Question

Waltham, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2013.

Interview Details – long interview process, very detailed.

Interview Question – Are you afraid of success?   View Answers (2)

Stockton, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed initially with managing partner. AsI left I took a personality test. The next interview at the same office with the same person was basically to tell me why my personality was not a fit . (So why was I called back?). I left he interview with a bad taste in my mouth from that interview and felt the person was a complete jerk. I took another position and sure enouh, his secretary emailed me 4 weeks later asking if I wanted to move forwad. (?) I have heard your initial employmen at NY life begins with you giving them 200 names and addresses of friends and family that they start soliciting.

Interview Question – What would yu have done differently (regarding my working at Countrywide Wholesale Lending)   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Question – If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!