New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.4

Financial Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview

The people were awesome that I met. I had to do a lot of work for the second interview and fill out a booklet and basically spend hours writing about my future plans. The second interview consisted of a panel of 3 people shooting questions about my sales personality. I was asked if I knew a lot of people in the area.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown. When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate. We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.) The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company. NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal. The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination. I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.] NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Santa Rosa, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

It was long..... We met almost a dozen times. They do a credit check, a background check, and there are mounds of paperwork. Yet you want it, because it's worth it. The office is beautiful. The people in the office are professions and friendly, and it's a great opportunity. It's definitely not an easy job to get. They want to make quadruple sure that you're the real thing. Still go for it. It IS worth it.

Interview Questions

• "How much do you want it?" I know it doesn't seem like a hard question. You could say anything. But they want specifics. They want to know how much you need to make a living, and what desire you have and whether you're willing to work hard for it. It's definitely a loaded question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

They recruiter claimed that the position was for being a financial advisor. But it was clear it was just a life insurance agent position. They claimed you can take the series 7 exam, but what I noticed with all the employees, no one gets to take the series 7 unless you have been in the business for YEARS! Don't plan on doing anything else but selling life insurance on the street.

Interview Questions

• What salary would you like to have?   1 Answer

Investment Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was a little MLM / fraud like. I recognize that NYL is a well established company, but they need to revisit their recruiting process. Upon applying, I received an email inviting me to interview. When I arrived, I interviewed with the district sales manager, whose interview style was to flip through a packet of info to show me that NYL was legitimate. I then took an assessment, and was given "homework", as he called it, to fill out a questionnaire. He indicated that during the next visit we would be reviewing my answers and seeing if NYL would be a good fit or not. He also stated that we would review my assessment scoring at that time. This interview was an hour. During our followup he shared that I had received "the highest assessment scoring he has seen". Not surprised based on my sales experience. The second interview he discussed more of why NYL was a good company, and about how they wanted to grow this area. The second interview lasted an hour as well. I was then asked to go to the corporate office, 40 minutes north, to participate in a training. I was told that they would go over Marketing and Training. As of this stage, I wasn't yet offered employment. Following that 1.5 hour unpaid meeting (still not even an employee?) I was invited back to talk about the commission scale. Another 1.5 hr meeting, 40 minutes away. Unless you like to be jerked around, don't interview for NYL unless you have no other options or are interested in their commission only lengthy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable selling life insurance to your whole family?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Way too much like a MLM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Latham, NY).

Interview

Personable. The process was more about examining my character and priorities than skill set or education/experience. Informative- was introduced to a happy close-knit group currently employed and then a casual conversation about family, savings/spending practices, goals and expectations. I had huge concerns about the commission click down, and rightfully so, as I learned quickly to keep up the pace and follow the track set forth.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about salespeople? What has been your financial experience thus far in life -good, bad the ugly? How will you balance a start up business and family time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Irvine, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

1. Talk to the Managing Partner 2. Further application and background check is handled by the "Sale Supervisor" 3. A final contract will be drafted and be signed by both party to start the "Sale Career"

Interview Questions

• 1. Previous experiences, education and personal background 2. How would you be success in this sale career? 3. Computerized questions and screening 4. Completed credit, criminal background check certain credit bureau   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Rochester, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

There is a 3 part interview process. If you seem like a good fit to the interviewing partner, you'll be invited to come in for part 2, where you'll watch a video and have compensation reviewed and have an opportunity to ask questions. During the 3rd part you'll be asked your thoughts and whether or not you think you can handle the work involved. From there you may be offered the opportunity to come on board with the agency.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other candidates? What experience do you have in the sales field and working with people in general?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Myrtle Beach, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Myrtle Beach, SC) in December 2013.

Interview

The process involves a series of three interviews with the current manger. They do not care all that much about your previous work history, unless you have worked in the insurance field before. They are very picky with whom they hire and you must look and act professionally to even be considered. Even if you are called back for another interview, that is when they sell you the greed about being an insurance salesman. They are looking for greasy people to push insurance.

Interview Questions

• How greedy could you be if you were to be hired   1 Answer

Negotiation

No salary

Enterprise Finance and Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Had interview through school's career center, then waited a few weeks to be contacted for a second round in office interview. The second round interview involved 4 interviewers, who had various positions at the firm. All of the questions were behavioral, but forced you to think on your feet. Overall, the interview process was pleasant.