New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.4

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

It takes a long time to get contracted and in the meantime there is no salary. You also have to get fingerprinted and licensed to sell insurance for life and health. The office was pretty nice but my first impression was that the people seemed rather cold and sterile but warmed up a lot afterwards.

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

I went in for 2 interviews, one with the managing partner and another with the office manager then after the last interview, they send you an assessment. I did very well on the interviews but when I was called back about my assessment (which is a personality test) they told me I do not qualify.

The entire process took about 1 month (1 week for my resume to be seen, 2nd week 1st interview and a small writing and math assignment, 3rd week 2nd interview and assessment, and 4th week rejection phone called)

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interviewed by a team manager who basically spent about 45 minutes selling me the job. He showed me his bank account and how much he made and spoke at length about how easy the job was and how easy it was to sell people the products offered by New York Life because "they basically sell themselves", all in an effort to impress me into taking the job. In other words, it was the definition of a sales pitch for a sales job.

The Good: Extensive 2 week training course and sponsorship of all necessary licenses. "High earning potential" and clear metrics for advancement (you make X amount in commission in year Y and you get to move up to position Z)

The Bad: Purely commission based position i.e. no base salary. Company provides no leads.

Interview Questions

I only declined because I had no sales experience and was uncomfortable with the idea of not having a base salary. Overall the position itself seemed like a good deal if you can stomach the aforementioned and/or if you already have sales experience.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Great interviewers and very detailed. I have taken a lot of information at each interview. each interview was a week apart and I found it very helpful as you can think about it and do some reaserch.

Interview Questions
    • did not have any compromising question, they were all very resonable   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

I got an email with the possibility of an interview. It was a phone interview. Questions about 1. tell me about a time when your leadership style failed? 2. tell me one the excel projects you did

Life Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I received an email from a recruiter who set up an interview at their main office. There is a series of 3 interviews. I attended the first which was geared more towards the manager/interviewer getting to know me. The next two interviews are geared toward the job expectations and the salary. I will see if the job is something I want to do after I attend the second interview. Overall the manger was very nice and easy to converse with.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of money would like to make and where would you like your salary to be in 3 years?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I have no experience with insurance or sales and I was called in for an interview. The interview itself consisted of watching a video of what the company was about and the inevitable questions from the employer. None of the questions were difficult at all. I was asked to come back in for an informational session. After the interview I decided not to go back, the employer was looking for personnel to work more long term than I could provide. The overall atmosphere was great and I would recommend to someone who is looking for quick work.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were very general interview questions. Employer is looking for personnel who connect with others and are great with sales.   Answer Question