New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.4

Investor Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

Over the phone interview with the recruiter plus in-person interview with 2 managers.
    Easy questions, a lot of behavioral stuff, your strength, weaknesses, examples from past employment. Thorough background testing and drug testing.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Went through 4 interviews. First a phone interview, then 3 in person interviews. First they get to know you. Then they educate you about themselves. then they talk about the position in detail.

Interview Questions
    • Not many difficult or unexpected questions. They just learn about your background and determine weather or not you will be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Solid interview. Went for two meetings and after the second meeting I gathered all the information I needed in deciding that this was not a job for me. I was expected to work when I am away from work. Your free time and weekends are spent generating leads and socializing with clubs and local events.

Interview Questions

You generate your own business under the New York life name. No base pay strictly commission

Financial Adviser for Insurance/Investment Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Submitted my resume through my school and got a email the following day about a phone screening. Later the recruiter changed it and told me to come in for an overview of the role, etc. The first meeting was very standard. The recruiter told me about the role, what I would be doing, why they think I'd be good for the role, etc. (this is basically is a sales job!). The whole time I basically had the feeling that she was trying to sell me the job. At the end she asked me if I had any contacts that I can sell insurance and financial products to. The second part was a compensations talk which basically said you'll make what you sell but also talked about the support systems that NYL have for assisting you. They wanted me to come in for a third and fourth meeting which they would introduce the products, but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the financial products that New York Life offers?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I was referred by a friend in the company whose partner was hiring. 5 step process. Felt very good about the process, however I felt they put too much emphasis on the potential for income and not enough emphasis on what the job actually entailed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard personality questions nothing very technical.   View Answer
    no room for negotiation and no compensation until you prove yourself a valuable employee

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

It takes a long time to get contracted and in the meantime there is no salary. You also have to get fingerprinted and licensed to sell insurance for life and health. The office was pretty nice but my first impression was that the people seemed rather cold and sterile but warmed up a lot afterwards.

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

I went in for 2 interviews, one with the managing partner and another with the office manager then after the last interview, they send you an assessment. I did very well on the interviews but when I was called back about my assessment (which is a personality test) they told me I do not qualify.

The entire process took about 1 month (1 week for my resume to be seen, 2nd week 1st interview and a small writing and math assignment, 3rd week 2nd interview and assessment, and 4th week rejection phone called)

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interviewed by a team manager who basically spent about 45 minutes selling me the job. He showed me his bank account and how much he made and spoke at length about how easy the job was and how easy it was to sell people the products offered by New York Life because "they basically sell themselves", all in an effort to impress me into taking the job. In other words, it was the definition of a sales pitch for a sales job.

The Good: Extensive 2 week training course and sponsorship of all necessary licenses. "High earning potential" and clear metrics for advancement (you make X amount in commission in year Y and you get to move up to position Z)

The Bad: Purely commission based position i.e. no base salary. Company provides no leads.

Interview Questions

I only declined because I had no sales experience and was uncomfortable with the idea of not having a base salary. Overall the position itself seemed like a good deal if you can stomach the aforementioned and/or if you already have sales experience.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Great interviewers and very detailed. I have taken a lot of information at each interview. each interview was a week apart and I found it very helpful as you can think about it and do some reaserch.

Interview Questions
    • did not have any compromising question, they were all very resonable   Answer Question