New York Life

Average Difficulty
367 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Professional

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Interview Question – How do you handle defeat?   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Went through three rounds of interviews with progressively more senior management. Interview questions were very typical - what is your least/most favorite job activity, what do you to to manage stress, decision making examples etc. Interviewers were very respectful and made the interview enjoyable. Second interview involved an aptitude test - wasn't difficult to anticipate the answers they were looking for.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to sell our services to your friends and family?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was interviewing with several other companies at the time and was offered a more competitive position.

New York, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – The initial contact was via email. Subsequent communication was always prompt and courteous. The company seemed very "warm," that is people friendly.

Interview Question – Did you ever want to start your own business and why or why not?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Although the position was intriguing, don't think it is the right fit for me.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Providence, RI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for the Financial Services Representative position. The process took about two weeks, but I had a phone screening interview and then a personal interview with a managing director. After taking a candidate profile test, I was going to be connected with a partner with New York Life.

Interview Question – The interviews were behavioral. They were trying to get to know me and they led me ask them questions regarding the company and the position.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Waltham, MA

I interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Question – compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went on two interviews with NY Life. I believe they found my resume on Career builder, as they were 1 of about 15 insurance companies to contact me. I liked the people that I met with, thought they were all very nice and personable.
They make it very clear that there is potential to make a lot of money if you work with them.

I definitely felt I was being "sold", rather than being interviewed. I did my homework on the company, but I didn't feel that they did their homework on me.

I was told in my first interview that I had been flagged for a management position. I found out later that the management opportunity wouldn't come for several years.

The position is 100% commission. They will try and skirt any questions about compensation until the 3rd interview.

If this sort of position is your bag. Then go for it. Not for me though.

Interview Question – I was not really asked any traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

Retirement Solutions Interview

Retirement Solutions
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – There were three individuals that sat in on the interview process. I was asked to walk through my resume and then a series of behavioral based questions. Have you ever experienced? How would you handle? Describe a time when...those type of questions.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   View Answer
  • Have you ever had a difference of opinion with another coworker and how did you resolve it?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Applied through a campus recruiting tool. A recruiter followed up with an email and a personality test. Then there was a one on one interview with the Partner. Very quick and easy process.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Agent
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Question – The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Financial Services Professional

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

Interview Details – They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life