New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.4

Sales Interview

I met a representative of the company at my college's career fair. A few days later I revived a phone call. A few days after that, I received a tour of the office and filled out an application. A few days later, I received a group orientation to learn more about the job and compensation.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview went surprisingly smooth, very simple questions in cozy office atmosphere. Just be yourself, do not exaggerate or twist words, reply in simple terms as possible. It kind of hit in the middle of the interview is that they want to see how I would behave in front of a potential customer. So my advice: be as friendly, natural and simple as possible.

Had other family plans.

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview first. Why NY Life? Previous work experience. Difficulties you had to deal with. Leadership experiences.
    I didnt feel like i did well but I got to the on site, haven't had it yet.

Interview Questions
    • What are advantages and disadvantages of a mutual insurance company?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I was contacted by the Managing Partner concerning the Financial Advisor position. I then went on an in person interview with him. He was very personable and honest about the position. I really appreciated how he emphasized that this position is "a career and not a job." I was told that there would be a total of three interviews.

Interview Questions
    • One question that I was not expecting was as follows: "Describe in three words what you consider a good salesperson to be."   View Answer

I made it through the first interview and was encouraged to submit the official application. I decided not to continue with the interview process because of the commission-based compensation. I was told that New York Life will help you with the first three years starting at around $35,000 and then goes down. After these three years, it will turn to all commission-based compensation.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I had two "interviews". They were more like meetings than an actual interview. Each time I spent over an hour getting to the interviewer and receiving details about the job. The interviewer was a really nice guy. I have nothing bad to say about the interview process. The interviews are really just New York Life trying to make sure that you are a good person with solid social skills.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. You just pretty much tell the interview about your life.   Answer Question

I found a job that was a better fit for me.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2015.

It was a group interview and most of the people who were there didn't even know anything about the position. The entire interview took more than one hour and I had to pay for parking.

Interview Questions
    • Not a lot of questions, besides the name and a little bit about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2015.

They had a four step interview process, the first two interviews are simple as long as you act and dress professionally. The third interview goes more in depth, and the fourth they make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you've accomplished in the last 90 days?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Met at a university job fair, they quickly called for an interview, it went very smooth, second interview my recruiter asked me to lay out a business plan for my agency. Then I got hired, the turnover in the insurance industry is huge so they will hire most people if you show promise

Interview Questions
    • Create a vision of your company, selling NYL products how would you structure your agency   View Answer
    very simple. they laid out the guidlines and contract.

Actuarial Interview

It only took them a day to contact me via email after I submitted my online application. I had my first phone screening after 3 days. Then in about 10 days, I did my second round phone interview. Both interviews were highly behavioral with barely any technical question. Then I was invited on-site. Five people interviewed me one after another and each interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. After five interviews, I went out for lunch with two actuarial students. The on-site interviews were slightly more technical than the phone screenings, but they were still pretty easy. Overall, it was a great experience interviewing with the company. I thought I did pretty well during the on-site interview, but unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in December 2014.

Three step interview process that lasted about a month. Very informative, not drilling you with questions. Just more to get to know you and what kind of person you are. Interviewed directly with potential boss and got to know him fairly well- very nice guy. Developed an understanding of the company and how everything is run.

Interview Questions
    • Why you're interested in the position?   View Answer