New York Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Actuary Intern Interview

Actuary Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – What was your hardest project on excel?
Give an example of when you were a leader.
  Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Life Insurance Agent
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – They called me in for an interview and I came in for one.

Interview Question – How would you go about getting your first clients?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The environment is not for me.

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview

New York Life Financial Advisor
White Plains, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted me after publishing my resume in a job board. Called me for a first interview, that I did with one of the partners, a screening interview. Then I had to do a test on the computer, that I passed. They invited for a second interview with the partner. And finally to a presentation where explain all the package and the training plan.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in New York Life?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Actuarial
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details – I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Jackson, MS

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details – I attended a career fair and a week later they called me for an on campus interview. The interview went fine and they were very explicit about what you want to do and what New York Life the company can offer you as well. First the interviewee told me about himself and his ambitions and then asked me about mine. It was not a very formal interview and he made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Question – What do you want out of this job?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

New York Life Agent Interview

New York Life Agent
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details – Attended an industry highlight panel though my schools OCR. Panel was just on insurance and each company was selling it's key points. Rather boring but I networked with the New York representative and found him very interesting. I contacted him later via email to thank him for his time and he invited me in for an interview. Strictly getting to know you, No real behavioral situations. Just a chat. Accepted the offer and interned over the summer. Terrible experience though. Maybe life insurance just isn't for me.

Interview Question – When can you start. Don't get suckered into "immediately." Your decision can be wrong if rushed like mine was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Started it but the work was all based on what you wanted out of it. Building your own network as opposed to learning skills.

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
El Paso, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in September 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is not designed to seek out the interest of the applicant. The company has sales vacancies to fill and that is what they offer. The sales pitch is very good, and the promises are impressive. New agent will end up spending more money out of pocket to meet requirements, than they will actually earn.

Interview Question – None. They were not interested in asking questions. The process was a sales pitch designed to draw the applicant in.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much. They basically made it look like once the applicant was willing to work, following the company's protocals they will be successful. The cost and benifits of earning was placed on the applicant 100%

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – 4 interview selection process, they get to know you and you get to know them

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Preliminary contract is non negotiable

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Question – If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Question – "Why are you here?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.