New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Wall, NJ).

Interview

Three interview process, 1st interview to get to know each other and the company. 2nd interview give an overview of the position and how to be successful. Given homework to call fifteen people you know and ask them to answer a questionnaire to get a feel and understand if you are able to complete the job requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Stratford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a career fair and immediately set up the first interview. The interview was very laid back -- I answered a few questions then the recruiter mostly talked about the company and what they have to offer. After talking for a little, I took a 15 minute assessment, then was done. I was called back about a week later to come back for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 words to describe yourself, 3 words to describe a successful salesman/woman   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2015.

Interview

3 day interview process. On the first interview we spoke a little about myself, but mostly it was about NY Life and what they did. The second interview was more about them getting to know me. They then sent me an email with a questionnaire for me to fill out. The questionnaire had questions for them to gauge my personality. In the third interview they go over compensation.

Interview Questions

• What would be the reason you think that would make it difficult to succeed at this job?   1 Answer

Not the right fit for me.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Brooklyn, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Process took about a month. First interview with a partner, second was a compensation meeting where they make you believe you can earn six figures in first year. Third interview was more difficult, but still got an offer to start training. They have high turnover so will hire anyone.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Carmel, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Very laid back, and informative. Saw the office and any and all questions were answered. Learned how the commission works which was informative. Felt very comfortable and at ease while interviewing.

Interview Questions

• It was more of me asking questions then the interviewer asking questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life in April 2015.

Interview

Interview could take up to 6 face-to-face interviews if you're unlucky, less if you're good at interviewing. I recommend being aggressive with your answers, personality, and follow up. The interview process involves summation of the job description and how you will be compensated. You will be prompted to ask questions about anything that is told to you. Asking questions is strongly advised. Buyer Beware: ask how long it will be until you are compensated; what the stipulations of getting compensated are; who/ what/ and when you can trigger your full time contract.

Interview Questions

• What is something we don't yet know about you that could change our views of you in the future?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very easy, just talking with the partner and she introduced you the process. She kept talking about the commission to get my attraction. There wasn't any real question but just checking back for her presentation

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Bethesda, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a long meeting, not really a interview. More of them just talking at you. They took more than 2 hours selling us the company and history. It was very very odd.

Interview Questions

• They gave a us a personality survey on our phones which was very word.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was simple because they are hiring anyone who walks through their revolving door. They're digging for gold without regard for the lives of the candidates they are potentially destroying

Interview Questions

• So What Sports do you play?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown. When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate. We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.) The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company. NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal. The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination. I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.] NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.