New York Life Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
384 interviews

2.4

Financial Consultant Interview

Interview was pretty straight forward. Interviewed with one manager and talked about basic personal aspirations and the details of their training program. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes and scheduled for a second interview within a week. They responded quickly and were very professional.

Financial Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

The people in the office were very nice. The office itself was in a good location and looked well maintained. The interview was odd because he basically told me I wasn't right for the job without asking me any questions first. After reflecting on the interview later, I got the impression that the point was for me to be aggressive, contradict him, and convince him otherwise. (Afterall, it is a sales position.)

Interview Questions
    • The only question he asked was "Describe your ideal job."   Answer Question

New York Life Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Initially there was a phone interview, then an in person interview followed by a computer test to determine if my personality would be a match to the position. There's also a very thorough background check. Simply put, they're trying to tell if you're an aggressive person who can think like a business owner, not an employee.

Interview Questions
    • Hard to understand the compensation until you take the comp class. Then it becomes a little clearer. However I really only started to grasp out comp 6 months into it. But I'm happy!!! Fact is the initial compensation is complex only because newbies into the business are offered a lot of training bonuses since you're starting with zero business.   Answer Question
    None.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Questions
    • No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question

Actuary Intern Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What was your hardest project on excel?
      Give an example of when you were a leader.
        Answer Question

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

They called me in for an interview and I came in for one.

Interview Questions

The environment is not for me.

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Contacted me after publishing my resume in a job board. Called me for a first interview, that I did with one of the partners, a screening interview. Then I had to do a test on the computer, that I passed. They invited for a second interview with the partner. And finally to a presentation where explain all the package and the training plan.

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Jackson, MS
    Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

I attended a career fair and a week later they called me for an on campus interview. The interview went fine and they were very explicit about what you want to do and what New York Life the company can offer you as well. First the interviewee told me about himself and his ambitions and then asked me about mine. It was not a very formal interview and he made me feel very comfortable.

New York Life Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Attended an industry highlight panel though my schools OCR. Panel was just on insurance and each company was selling it's key points. Rather boring but I networked with the New York representative and found him very interesting. I contacted him later via email to thank him for his time and he invited me in for an interview. Strictly getting to know you, No real behavioral situations. Just a chat. Accepted the offer and interned over the summer. Terrible experience though. Maybe life insurance just isn't for me.

Interview Questions
    • When can you start. Don't get suckered into "immediately." Your decision can be wrong if rushed like mine was.   Answer Question

Started it but the work was all based on what you wanted out of it. Building your own network as opposed to learning skills.