New York Life Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

By far the best interview I've had so far, mainly because it didn't feel like an interview, it was more like a casual conversation with a friend. Everything became clear after the first conversation and I left with no doubt regarding the job applied for. Not frightening at all, very friendly

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Lubbock, TX).

Interview

First interview was just a get to know you and very relaxed with a personality test before I left. Second interview was a little more about the job and telling you what the job entails. Third interview was how the pay works and how you generate names and people for you to call on. They tell you no cold calling, but once you are done with your own friends and family list that's what the job would consist of. Very good people there though.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know in the area or that you could call on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because it is full commission and I did not accept the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Latham, NY).

Interview

Personable. The process was more about examining my character and priorities than skill set or education/experience. Informative- was introduced to a happy close-knit group currently employed and then a casual conversation about family, savings/spending practices, goals and expectations. I had huge concerns about the commission click down, and rightfully so, as I learned quickly to keep up the pace and follow the track set forth.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about salespeople? What has been your financial experience thus far in life -good, bad the ugly? How will you balance a start up business and family time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

They recruiter claimed that the position was for being a financial advisor. But it was clear it was just a life insurance agent position. They claimed you can take the series 7 exam, but what I noticed with all the employees, no one gets to take the series 7 unless you have been in the business for YEARS! Don't plan on doing anything else but selling life insurance on the street.

Interview Questions

• What salary would you like to have?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Grand Rapids, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Was more of a dog and pony show than anything else. No questions about me, all about how much money you can make. At one point in time, attempted to sell me my own life insurance policy. They also seemed to be attempting to hire as many as possible in the hopes of one being a quality employee rather than actual due diligence.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Bellevue, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Easiest interview ever! Met with Partner twice. Submitted an application after first interview and did a psych eval during the second interview. Was pretty much offered the position at the end of second interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of lifestyle do you want for yourself?   1 Answer

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter who set up an interview at their main office. There is a series of 3 interviews. I attended the first which was geared more towards the manager/interviewer getting to know me. The next two interviews are geared toward the job expectations and the salary. I will see if the job is something I want to do after I attend the second interview. Overall the manger was very nice and easy to converse with.

Interview Questions

• What kind of money would like to make and where would you like your salary to be in 3 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Grand Rapids, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter and set up face to face interview. Met face to face and had a relaxing interview. Asked to come back for a 2nd face to face to discuss compensation and benefit packages. 3rd face to face happens tomorrow even though I have already been offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation, Commission only

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Rochester, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

There is a 3 part interview process. If you seem like a good fit to the interviewing partner, you'll be invited to come in for part 2, where you'll watch a video and have compensation reviewed and have an opportunity to ask questions. During the 3rd part you'll be asked your thoughts and whether or not you think you can handle the work involved. From there you may be offered the opportunity to come on board with the agency.

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other candidates? What experience do you have in the sales field and working with people in general?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an manager's assistant after I posted my resume to a job website. She set up a meeting with a manager. He interviewed me then had me take a career assessment survey. After that I was to follow up with him the next day to go over my results. I passed, so I continued on to the compensation/training group interview. I chose at that point that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions

• Key qualities that have been passed down from a mentor.   Answer Question