New York Life

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from a recruiter being referred by an employee that I met long ago in one of the networking events that I participated in. We talked and I expressed interest in learning more about this opportunity, then an interview was scheduled.

On the interview day, I arrived on-time for the appointment. The branch was inside one of the downtown high rise buildings where they occupied the whole floor in a professional corporate working environment that required security clearance and receptionist in the front. I waited a little for the recruiter to come pick me up for the interview after checking-in with the receptionist. Once the recruiter picked me, we talked getting to know each other. A presentation was then demonstrated, and you can stop for question at any time. I asked a lot of questions pertains to the company, position, and support program provided.

Process was explained in detail and open to questions. After the interview, I was asked to take an computerized personality assessment test before leaving to see if I was an ideal candidate. Result came out and advised by recruiter the same afternoon.

There are total of 3 interviews screening process.
Interview #1. Initial recruiting process. Recruiter getting to know you and brief you with presentation. Passing assessment test result required in order to move to #2.
Interview #2. In-depth interview on a 2 ways street.
Interview #3. Final interview, response only.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details – Initially there was a phone interview, then an in person interview followed by a computer test to determine if my personality would be a match to the position. There's also a very thorough background check. Simply put, they're trying to tell if you're an aggressive person who can think like a business owner, not an employee.

Interview Question – Hard to understand the compensation until you take the comp class. Then it becomes a little clearer. However I really only started to grasp out comp 6 months into it. But I'm happy!!! Fact is the initial compensation is complex only because newbies into the business are offered a lot of training bonuses since you're starting with zero business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details – Attended an industry highlight panel though my schools OCR. Panel was just on insurance and each company was selling it's key points. Rather boring but I networked with the New York representative and found him very interesting. I contacted him later via email to thank him for his time and he invited me in for an interview. Strictly getting to know you, No real behavioral situations. Just a chat. Accepted the offer and interned over the summer. Terrible experience though. Maybe life insurance just isn't for me.

Interview Question – When can you start. Don't get suckered into "immediately." Your decision can be wrong if rushed like mine was.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Started it but the work was all based on what you wanted out of it. Building your own network as opposed to learning skills.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!