New York Life

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed many times (4 to be specific). The 1st is with the recruiter. The 2nd is likely that with a Partner. The 3rd is likely the Executive Partner or Group. The 4th is back with the Partner. There are tasks to be completed after the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – What are your motivations? Please list 3 in the order of importance... Please explain each.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiation, because it is a sales position. It is a matter of how much do you believe you can sale without a safety net. I would definitely reconsider if this is your first job. Actually, I would doubt they would offer you the job if it is your first.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – I received a phone call and was told there would be 4 interview rounds and they will help me finish step by step. The second round is a face-to-face interview. This job is good for people who have good communication and sales skill and commission-based

Reason for Declining – I am interested in another job

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – basic behavior questions, very nice person, makes me ask him a lot of questions. had to take a survey to evaluate your personality and see if you are fit to this job. made me practice with people around me to ask their preferences on having insurance.

Interview Question – have to come up more questions to ask him   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process consisted of a personality test, homework from a reading booklet, attending a class and another interview.

Interview Question – What do you least like about your job? And Why do you want to be part of NYI?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, there was no negotitation

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – I got reference and came in to have a interview with a partner. It was very straight forward. The whole process contain 4 interviews. In the first interview, they will ask you few question to get to know you and they will spend more time to tell whats going on in New York Life.

Interview Question – how would you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Interview Details – The NYL partner took a very long time describing how good the company and the position is. She kept emphasizing that if you work hard you will succeed as a sales agent. Those who failed or quit are the lazy ones.

Reason for Declining – Not the career path I want to pursue at this point

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Many questions and test to see if you fit corporate culture. The final grade is a traffic light, green, yellow, red.

Interview Question – "I am going to interview 200 to 250 people this year and maybe hire 11-15 of them, why should I hire you?"   Answer Question

Springfield, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a New York Life recruiter who found my resume online. The initial phone interview lasted about 20 minutes and covered basic information regarding my current position, experience, and interest level in a career in insurance. 2nd level was an in-person interview with the District Manager. The interview was laid back and focused on how strong the company was, the potential for growth, the aging population, and how lucrative the industry is for agents. The 3rd level was an informal breakfast meeting with approximately 20 agents and a half dozen other interview candidates where we got to meet other agents, hear a motivational talk by a successful agent, and get a feel for the company and people.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer a question about how comfortable are you selling to family and friends.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the 4th level interview with the District Manager and their boss as it was not a long term fit for me. They have a great company, strong reputation in the industry, and I left the process impressed with the people.

Very Easy Interview

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – I had two interviews but declined the third. I was told about the company mainly during the first interview what they had to offer. The second interview they explain their products and services. It was not right for me but sounded like an amazing opportunity.

Interview Question – The questions are pretty straight forward. Could you be comfortable without a guaranteed paycheck?   Answer Question

Paducah, KY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process is crazy. Based out of New York so there are tons of hoops to jump through. Just when you think they couldnt ask for anymore paperwork, they do. They are looking for new agents to mold into a great sales person. If you are established, you can get a different kind of contract.

Interview Question – Can you name 100 people that you could do business with.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Sales Agent interview questions and advice. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.