New York Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The new agents are interviewed several times each interview is one hour. The general manager offers company statistical hand outs and related articles to read between interviews. The training program included taking tests related to certificate requirements for the industry.

Interview Questions

• What are your future needs vs. wants?   Answer Question
  • Tell me a little bit about your last job. How independent were you in creating your own schedule?   Answer Question

The manager explained that the position was not salaried but commission based for the duration of the training program.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (White Plains, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I meet one of the recruiting agents at a college career fair. My resume was handed in and then the ywo employees started to talk about the business. After two days, I got an offer to come in for a preliminary interview. When i got to the office, the managing partner was very nice and just asked me basic questions and told me the process on getting hired. The interview process is long, but it is only done so tjat yhe company can get to know about you and vise versa.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I had an hour long meeting to discuss the opportunity within the company and was given a great presentation. I was told the average annual salary and benefits that would come with the position. I was then give an assessment on a computer which took about 15 minutes to complete. I was called later the same day and offered the position. I am still weighing my options.

Sales Agent Interview

Interview

I received a phone call and was told there would be 4 interview rounds and they will help me finish step by step. The second round is a face-to-face interview. This job is good for people who have good communication and sales skill and commission-based

I am interested in another job

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed many times (4 to be specific). The 1st is with the recruiter. The 2nd is likely that with a Partner. The 3rd is likely the Executive Partner or Group. The 4th is back with the Partner. There are tasks to be completed after the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your motivations? Please list 3 in the order of importance... Please explain each.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't much room for negotiation, because it is a sales position. It is a matter of how much do you believe you can sale without a safety net. I would definitely reconsider if this is your first job. Actually, I would doubt they would offer you the job if it is your first.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (San Jose, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a personality test, homework from a reading booklet, attending a class and another interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you least like about your job? And Why do you want to be part of NYI?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, there was no negotitation

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

I got reference and came in to have a interview with a partner. It was very straight forward. The whole process contain 4 interviews. In the first interview, they will ask you few question to get to know you and they will spend more time to tell whats going on in New York Life.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in August 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call to discuss opportunity. Set up a personal interview to discuss the opportunity. We went over the requirements. We talked about the license requirements, and the compensation. The need to have fingerprints taken and the schedule of training. When that was completed we talked about business cards and the lead time that was required.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

The NYL partner took a very long time describing how good the company and the position is. She kept emphasizing that if you work hard you will succeed as a sales agent. Those who failed or quit are the lazy ones.

Not the career path I want to pursue at this point

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Long Interview process, in which they wait until the end to tell you how much money you must spend to become an agent, and that you may not make any money for up to 6th months. At this time, it seems like it would be an excellent company, only if you have time to get there.

Interview Questions

Did not have approx $1,000 to hope I would be making good commission after a few months. The job is commission only with no base salary.