New York Life

Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.2

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2009.

The Managing Director seemed honest and straight-forward, but i always felt like there are conditions that are nor fully disclosed until you've joined. The training process can be hit-or-miss, but ongoing training seems great due too a great online portal and classroom training available upon getting to certain production levels.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions are asked. Be prepared to discuss your prospecting skills and ideas...also your past sales success. Do not lose sight of the fact that this is a SALES job...it about productions.   Answer Question
  • The most harrowing experience about NYLife is the extensive background and credit check. They take this too far! They will even require you to pay some delinquent bills, including credit cards!   Answer Question
The insurance payout is great, but considering that you are responsible for paying your own E&O and office expenses, the payout for securities are too low. Additional, you are only able to sell NYLife VAs, which do not have the best living benefits, or no living benefits in NY. However, NYLife have a take it or leave it attitude about payouts so negotiations work far.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in November 2009.

Interview was a 1:1 with various questions that assessed my sales skills. I was asked a group I would like to concentrate sales on, and how i would create a relationship with clients to build their trust. After words, I was taken to a small room with a computer and given a personality test.

Interview Questions
    • How would you involve yourself in the community to focus on the target group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

The interview went real smooth, I just had the luck of a really cool manager with whom I could relate to alot. Basically, there were about 3 interviews, 1st was short, and I had to take a personality test, second I had an assignment that was related to the position. and finally the final was the congraulatory interview and a presentation on compensation.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your immediate/short term goals in life?   Answer Question
    Me just coming out of college I just wanted a job, but to recent grads, be prepared to sacrifice alot in the first 2 months; this is a commission-only job...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

This was by far the worst trickery I've ever seen. I was contacted by a partner and went into the office for an interview, which started out as your standard interview. Some questions were a little odd, like, "I bet at your workplace when you say jump, people say how high". I am a warm, strong, personality but that is not my technique. OK, so we proceeded, but I was not allowed to discuss income until the next appointment, which I will not be keeping.
    You have to bring in 200 people, family and friends, etc., and you have to be "willing to become a little bit famous in (my town)". At the end of the interview I was walked to a wall, where I was shown agents and rookies of the quarter, their names, and amounts of money earned so far. Then, here's the kicker...I was told to go take a personallity test, and no matter what, "answer all 4s and 5s". He must have repreated this three times. So I went home and took the personality test, and despite a "little voice" that said this didn't feel right, I answered all 4s and 5s. I was told the next day by email that because of my answers on the personality test, I was not up for consideration at this time, or words to that effect. He wants me to reapply in 90 days and start studying for my licenses. Right...I'll run right out and do that. Truthfully, you won't see any money for at least a year, more like three. There is absolutely no up front salary. I'm seriously thinking of running this by my attorney, and I have a message in to the agent. Why, after doing exactly what he said, was I rejected?
    I would say two thumbs down on this particular company. It is not publicly traded, and you cannot easily get into financial advising. They want you to sell life insurance, period. The beginning of the interview (to backtrack) was odd, because this partner said "I don't read resumes". That's funny, because when he called me he said, "I came across your resume and wanted to talk with you".

My advice is not to deal with New York Life if you are looking for an employer to shoot straight, and not play games. If I fail on my own merits, that's ok, but not at the hands of a partner's bad (purposefully bad?) advice. The office was very unfriendly. I must have walked by ten people. I smiled and said hello, and goit zero in return. I am not sure if it's legal to be set up for that personality test. I have free will, and I could have gone against his advice, but why would I? Stay away.
     If anyone out there knows of a financial services company who will train you with a base salary, I have been a very successful sales manager for some time, and would love that opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • I bet when you say jump, others say "how high?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in October 2009.

Interview was very short, approx 20 min. The questions were pretty straightforward. Much of the process was the partner explaining the company, job, etc. The interview questions were mostly geared towards sales experience and ability to sell. Second interview was a bit longer. Partner began the interview by fielding any questions you have (come with a few to ask). The rest of the second interview mostly consisted of a presentation of the job, compensation, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked what kind of skills I have that would contribute to the job and company.   View Answer

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

I received a call from a manager at a local NYL office after applying for the position on my college website. Everyone at the office was very professional and extremely friendly. Basically it is about starting my own business with all the costs associated with it and receiving training/materials from NYL. First they gave me 10 questionnaires to give to people I knew that might be interested in having me sell them life insurance and give me names of 3 referrals for the future. Then they wanted me to get a list of 200 people to start. If I could not come up with the full 200, they would supply me with names, numbers and info of people to get started. I am extremely impressed with the reputation and success of the is company but am concerned about the 100% commission and all the fees that I will need to come up with like office cubicle rent etc. to get started. They expect numbers right away in the first 90 days with 2.5 households sold a week. I have had B2B selling experience before and have run another small business with many contacts. What has me concerned is to whether with the economy the way it is, whether people are willing to part with their money to buy life insurance, the costs associated with running the business and the possibility that with the high failure rate of new agents whether I could make it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Recruiter at local job fair was very personable and informative. After the job fair I receievd a call within 24hrs for a f2f interview. Interview went very well and received a lot of information on the company, their history, possible earnings and realistic requirements of the job. New York Life will train and support their sales staff, but for me, the cold call selling was the biggest hurdle and working 80hrs + per week to build a client base. I was impressed with the support and possible earnings (small salary while training and thru the 1st year based on your sales).

Interview Questions

Did not want to give up my personal life (nights and weekends). It would be great opportunity for someone who loves sales and is single or doesn't want to see their family much...

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Met the recruiter at a job fair. Followed up with an email and received instructions for a personality test and online application. After all was completed, recruiter called to setup an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest problem you anticipate facing on this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

It went fairly well. The interviewer was a Senior Partner with the firm and had been there 30+ years. He was very genial and forthcoming with information. The only thing that he said that raise any alarms was that it was purely commission based, but with what to me seemed a decent percentage base. He said that they only did "warm calls," but I have read other places that I myself might need to initiate my own sales(this is something that I will need to look further into). He invited me to a second interview. He said that he had the process would take 5 interviews over approximately 3 weeks and that if I continued to impress that at the end of this I would be offered a position. I am still doing research.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

First, I got a phone call from a recruiter who in the Long Island Office to come to an interview in the New York Metro. Area. She let me choose the office location: either Brooklyn or Manhattan. I chose Manhattan. I went to the interview 1 week after received the phone call. The interview was very simple, just asking some basic interview question. After a 30 mins interview, the manager asked me to take a background test, about 20-25 mins. After that, the manager asked me to schedule an agent liscence test by myself online then come back after I passed. And DONE.

Interview Questions
    • Would you sell our products to your family members and friends?   Answer Question

I was looking for an actuarial intern, but not a sales parttime. So I declined.