New York Life

Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.2

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

Long Interview process, in which they wait until the end to tell you how much money you must spend to become an agent, and that you may not make any money for up to 6th months.

At this time, it seems like it would be an excellent company, only if you have time to get there.

Interview Questions

Did not have approx $1,000 to hope I would be making good commission after a few months. The job is commission only with no base salary.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2012.

It consisted of a 1:1 interview. The computer questions were very silly, and to be honest, not sure how I answered them incorrectly or correctly. They ask you questions such as "Hav eyou ever said a negative thing about a person in your entire life."

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever said a negative thing about a person ever?-computer question taken on the first day.   View Answer
    • Why sales?   Answer Question

the position wasn't for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paducah, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paducah, KY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Hiring process is crazy. Based out of New York so there are tons of hoops to jump through. Just when you think they couldnt ask for anymore paperwork, they do. They are looking for new agents to mold into a great sales person. If you are established, you can get a different kind of contract.

Interview Questions
    • Can you name 100 people that you could do business with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

I have received the phone call for the interview the day after I came back from my college's job fair, scheduling me for the following week. When that day came, I went to their office, got seated at a computer to take a information/personality test and after that was done, got a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager.

He then interviewed me for about a half hour, telling why I should work for the company, told me what I got on the personality test and how that related to me,etc. The questions that he asked were the usual questions like why do want to work here, what are your weaknesses, how many people do you know, since it's a sales job, etc. Overall a pleasant experience, but I declined the offer since this job was not right for me.

Interview Questions

Decided that being a sales agent was not for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

I only went to the first interview and realized it was not for me, the best way to describe it is it like opening your own personal sales franchise.... Using the franchise name of new york life. They will do the best they can to set you up with potential clients even have a mentor assigned to you for i believe 3 years or so but it is ultimately up to you to make the sale and hold on to them as your personal client while you send what is the equivalent of a royalty back to new york life for using there name and products.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about why you want to work in sales?   View Answer
    • What do you know about new york life?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

I was contacted by a New York Life recruiter who found my resume online. The initial phone interview lasted about 20 minutes and covered basic information regarding my current position, experience, and interest level in a career in insurance. 2nd level was an in-person interview with the District Manager. The interview was laid back and focused on how strong the company was, the potential for growth, the aging population, and how lucrative the industry is for agents. The 3rd level was an informal breakfast meeting with approximately 20 agents and a half dozen other interview candidates where we got to meet other agents, hear a motivational talk by a successful agent, and get a feel for the company and people.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer a question about how comfortable are you selling to family and friends.   Answer Question

I declined the 4th level interview with the District Manager and their boss as it was not a long term fit for me. They have a great company, strong reputation in the industry, and I left the process impressed with the people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in October 2011.

Interviewer asked for 2 minute overview of my Career highlights. Gave a 10 minute presentation of company makeup and philosophy. Asked questions regarding my knowledge of the financial sector and what it is I thought New York life did and how.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a Mutual company and a typical investment company?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2011.

Very unprofessional for a company this size. The interview was done in about 10 minutes and the group interview was no better. Asked strange questions about what I enjoyed not a lot of my experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

It went fairly well. The interviewer was a Senior Partner with the firm and had been there 30+ years. He was very genial and forthcoming with information. The only thing that he said that raise any alarms was that it was purely commission based, but with what to me seemed a decent percentage base. He said that they only did "warm calls," but I have read other places that I myself might need to initiate my own sales(this is something that I will need to look further into). He invited me to a second interview. He said that he had the process would take 5 interviews over approximately 3 weeks and that if I continued to impress that at the end of this I would be offered a position. I am still doing research.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

I thought that the interview was very impersonal. I felt as if I was just another number and my presence at the company was irrelevant. The man interviewing me was not very friendly.

Interview Questions

because the job was all commission based