New York Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Burlington, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Very unprofessional for a company this size. The interview was done in about 10 minutes and the group interview was no better. Asked strange questions about what I enjoyed not a lot of my experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

It went fairly well. The interviewer was a Senior Partner with the firm and had been there 30+ years. He was very genial and forthcoming with information. The only thing that he said that raise any alarms was that it was purely commission based, but with what to me seemed a decent percentage base. He said that they only did "warm calls," but I have read other places that I myself might need to initiate my own sales(this is something that I will need to look further into). He invited me to a second interview. He said that he had the process would take 5 interviews over approximately 3 weeks and that if I continued to impress that at the end of this I would be offered a position. I am still doing research.

Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Bala Cynwyd, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

I thought that the interview was very impersonal. I felt as if I was just another number and my presence at the company was irrelevant. The man interviewing me was not very friendly.

Interview Questions

because the job was all commission based

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Brea, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Met with a Partner and discussed my abilities with him. He seemed keen to have me start working, even though I have no experience in the field.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to leave the legal field to work in insurance sales.   Answer Question

I don't want to sell to family and friends, which is what they expect of you. Also seemed too easy to get the job and the partner promised me too much, it seemed fishy.

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

Received a phone call to in reference to my resume posted on careerbuilder. Went to the office two days later and met with a financial advisor with one other candidate. The interview lasted about 90 minutes however I was not asked one question. It was simply a presentation and I left there feeling like I was being sold something as opposed to being presented with a career opportunity.

Interview Questions

• After everything I have shown you, are you interested in pursuing a career with us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

First, I got a phone call from a recruiter who in the Long Island Office to come to an interview in the New York Metro. Area. She let me choose the office location: either Brooklyn or Manhattan. I chose Manhattan. I went to the interview 1 week after received the phone call. The interview was very simple, just asking some basic interview question. After a 30 mins interview, the manager asked me to take a background test, about 20-25 mins. After that, the manager asked me to schedule an agent liscence test by myself online then come back after I passed. And DONE.

Interview Questions

• Would you sell our products to your family members and friends?   Answer Question

I was looking for an actuarial intern, but not a sales parttime. So I declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

They just want to know if you would be able to sell insurance and make sure that you know people interested. The environment was good and the people seemed really nice. But be careful there are a lot of catches to what they say and offer you.

Interview Questions

• Why are you considering a career in financial services?   Answer Question
    • What kind of marketing strategies will you be using to get clients?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Providence, RI) in April 2010.

Interview

This was by far the worst trickery I've ever seen. I was contacted by a partner and went into the office for an interview, which started out as your standard interview. Some questions were a little odd, like, "I bet at your workplace when you say jump, people say how high". I am a warm, strong, personality but that is not my technique. OK, so we proceeded, but I was not allowed to discuss income until the next appointment, which I will not be keeping.
    You have to bring in 200 people, family and friends, etc., and you have to be "willing to become a little bit famous in (my town)". At the end of the interview I was walked to a wall, where I was shown agents and rookies of the quarter, their names, and amounts of money earned so far. Then, here's the kicker...I was told to go take a personallity test, and no matter what, "answer all 4s and 5s". He must have repreated this three times. So I went home and took the personality test, and despite a "little voice" that said this didn't feel right, I answered all 4s and 5s. I was told the next day by email that because of my answers on the personality test, I was not up for consideration at this time, or words to that effect. He wants me to reapply in 90 days and start studying for my licenses. Right...I'll run right out and do that. Truthfully, you won't see any money for at least a year, more like three. There is absolutely no up front salary. I'm seriously thinking of running this by my attorney, and I have a message in to the agent. Why, after doing exactly what he said, was I rejected?
    I would say two thumbs down on this particular company. It is not publicly traded, and you cannot easily get into financial advising. They want you to sell life insurance, period. The beginning of the interview (to backtrack) was odd, because this partner said "I don't read resumes". That's funny, because when he called me he said, "I came across your resume and wanted to talk with you".

My advice is not to deal with New York Life if you are looking for an employer to shoot straight, and not play games. If I fail on my own merits, that's ok, but not at the hands of a partner's bad (purposefully bad?) advice. The office was very unfriendly. I must have walked by ten people. I smiled and said hello, and goit zero in return. I am not sure if it's legal to be set up for that personality test. I have free will, and I could have gone against his advice, but why would I? Stay away.
     If anyone out there knows of a financial services company who will train you with a base salary, I have been a very successful sales manager for some time, and would love that opportunity.

Interview Questions

• I bet when you say jump, others say "how high?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Baltimore, MD) in March 2010.

Interview

After an inital phone call an apt. was set for 2 days later. I was very happy with how things went. We talked about the company (of course) and my background. The managrs background and history as well. Spoke of the products and services offered. Over all I liked what I had heard. I wasnt promised the world but I didnt expect to be either. If I had, I would have known it was a joke. Very nice people and so far I recomend others to check them out. I will meet again very soon to discuss I possible transfer into their company.

Interview Questions

• If I gave you a brick right now, what would you do this it?   Answer Question
    • What are your financial goals in the next 5 to 10 years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (Columbia, TN) in January 2010.

Interview

Recruiter at local job fair was very personable and informative. After the job fair I receievd a call within 24hrs for a f2f interview. Interview went very well and received a lot of information on the company, their history, possible earnings and realistic requirements of the job. New York Life will train and support their sales staff, but for me, the cold call selling was the biggest hurdle and working 80hrs + per week to build a client base. I was impressed with the support and possible earnings (small salary while training and thru the 1st year based on your sales).

Interview Questions

• How much do you want to earn?   1 Answer

Did not want to give up my personal life (nights and weekends). It would be great opportunity for someone who loves sales and is single or doesn't want to see their family much...