New York Life

2.2

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in December 2010.

Met with a Partner and discussed my abilities with him. He seemed keen to have me start working, even though I have no experience in the field.

Interview Questions
  • Why I wanted to leave the legal field to work in insurance sales.   Answer Question

I don't want to sell to family and friends, which is what they expect of you. Also seemed too easy to get the job and the partner promised me too much, it seemed fishy.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in September 2010.

Received a phone call to in reference to my resume posted on careerbuilder. Went to the office two days later and met with a financial advisor with one other candidate. The interview lasted about 90 minutes however I was not asked one question. It was simply a presentation and I left there feeling like I was being sold something as opposed to being presented with a career opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • After everything I have shown you, are you interested in pursuing a career with us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

First, I got a phone call from a recruiter who in the Long Island Office to come to an interview in the New York Metro. Area. She let me choose the office location: either Brooklyn or Manhattan. I chose Manhattan. I went to the interview 1 week after received the phone call. The interview was very simple, just asking some basic interview question. After a 30 mins interview, the manager asked me to take a background test, about 20-25 mins. After that, the manager asked me to schedule an agent liscence test by myself online then come back after I passed. And DONE.

Interview Questions
    • Would you sell our products to your family members and friends?   Answer Question

I was looking for an actuarial intern, but not a sales parttime. So I declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

They just want to know if you would be able to sell insurance and make sure that you know people interested. The environment was good and the people seemed really nice. But be careful there are a lot of catches to what they say and offer you.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you considering a career in financial services?   Answer Question
    • What kind of marketing strategies will you be using to get clients?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

This was by far the worst trickery I've ever seen. I was contacted by a partner and went into the office for an interview, which started out as your standard interview. Some questions were a little odd, like, "I bet at your workplace when you say jump, people say how high". I am a warm, strong, personality but that is not my technique. OK, so we proceeded, but I was not allowed to discuss income until the next appointment, which I will not be keeping.
    You have to bring in 200 people, family and friends, etc., and you have to be "willing to become a little bit famous in (my town)". At the end of the interview I was walked to a wall, where I was shown agents and rookies of the quarter, their names, and amounts of money earned so far. Then, here's the kicker...I was told to go take a personallity test, and no matter what, "answer all 4s and 5s". He must have repreated this three times. So I went home and took the personality test, and despite a "little voice" that said this didn't feel right, I answered all 4s and 5s. I was told the next day by email that because of my answers on the personality test, I was not up for consideration at this time, or words to that effect. He wants me to reapply in 90 days and start studying for my licenses. Right...I'll run right out and do that. Truthfully, you won't see any money for at least a year, more like three. There is absolutely no up front salary. I'm seriously thinking of running this by my attorney, and I have a message in to the agent. Why, after doing exactly what he said, was I rejected?
    I would say two thumbs down on this particular company. It is not publicly traded, and you cannot easily get into financial advising. They want you to sell life insurance, period. The beginning of the interview (to backtrack) was odd, because this partner said "I don't read resumes". That's funny, because when he called me he said, "I came across your resume and wanted to talk with you".

My advice is not to deal with New York Life if you are looking for an employer to shoot straight, and not play games. If I fail on my own merits, that's ok, but not at the hands of a partner's bad (purposefully bad?) advice. The office was very unfriendly. I must have walked by ten people. I smiled and said hello, and goit zero in return. I am not sure if it's legal to be set up for that personality test. I have free will, and I could have gone against his advice, but why would I? Stay away.
     If anyone out there knows of a financial services company who will train you with a base salary, I have been a very successful sales manager for some time, and would love that opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • I bet when you say jump, others say "how high?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in March 2010.

After an inital phone call an apt. was set for 2 days later. I was very happy with how things went. We talked about the company (of course) and my background. The managrs background and history as well. Spoke of the products and services offered. Over all I liked what I had heard. I wasnt promised the world but I didnt expect to be either. If I had, I would have known it was a joke. Very nice people and so far I recomend others to check them out. I will meet again very soon to discuss I possible transfer into their company.

Interview Questions
    • If I gave you a brick right now, what would you do this it?   Answer Question
    • What are your financial goals in the next 5 to 10 years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Recruiter at local job fair was very personable and informative. After the job fair I receievd a call within 24hrs for a f2f interview. Interview went very well and received a lot of information on the company, their history, possible earnings and realistic requirements of the job. New York Life will train and support their sales staff, but for me, the cold call selling was the biggest hurdle and working 80hrs + per week to build a client base. I was impressed with the support and possible earnings (small salary while training and thru the 1st year based on your sales).

Interview Questions

Did not want to give up my personal life (nights and weekends). It would be great opportunity for someone who loves sales and is single or doesn't want to see their family much...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2009.

I applied through my university and got the interview. I knew better, but thought it might be a good experience. What's strange is that I felt like the recruiter was trying to sell me on NY Life rather than me having to sell myself. The turnover in this job is very high, so they're constantly recruiting. Word of warning...if you don't feel comfortable about approaching your family and friends to buy insurance or annuities then don't even bother applying. After the 2nd interview I was given phone surveys to complete and return when I came back for my third interview. I just decided it wasn't for me. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten this job right out of high school. I feel like I've invested too much into my education to sell insurance. Everyone was very nice and professional during the whole process. The job just wasn't for me.

Interview Questions

Could have gotten the job straight out of high school without going to college. Didn't want to drive away my family and friends by trying to sell them insurance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in November 2009.

Interview was a 1:1 with various questions that assessed my sales skills. I was asked a group I would like to concentrate sales on, and how i would create a relationship with clients to build their trust. After words, I was taken to a small room with a computer and given a personality test.

Interview Questions
    • How would you involve yourself in the community to focus on the target group?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in October 2009.

Pros

New York Life provided me with meaningful work from the outset. The work life balance was very good. Excellent work environment.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement and feedback were limited. Compensation was low compared with other companies. Management seemed somewhat out of touch.

Advice to Senior Management

Management should provide lower level workers with more exposure. There should be more interaction among workers and more teamwork and group projects.