New York Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2014

2.2

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in July 2009.

I have interviewed at several large insurance companies in the last couple of years. NYL is not much different than the others. They tell you about the company and its great reputation and leadership. Then they tell you about the opportunities they offer. They also tell you you have to be persistent and think long term.

Interview Questions

I have a family to support. I can't wait 3 years to start seen real money. I also don't have the resources to spend money out of pocket to just get started without guarantee that I will be able to make it.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

The interview went real smooth, I just had the luck of a really cool manager with whom I could relate to alot. Basically, there were about 3 interviews, 1st was short, and I had to take a personality test, second I had an assignment that was related to the position. and finally the final was the congraulatory interview and a presentation on compensation.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your immediate/short term goals in life?   Answer Question
    Me just coming out of college I just wanted a job, but to recent grads, be prepared to sacrifice alot in the first 2 months; this is a commission-only job...

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

It was through an on-campus interview arranged by my university. The recruiter was very nice and made sure that we were seeing eye to eye. For example, if i was offered a job my commute would not be friendly. He shared his past experiences with the company and revealed that he took a less paying position because the commute was better and less draining. He complimented my resume and offered to forward it to a branch that was closer to my home location.

Overall, they make sure they have the ideal candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Got the interview through the main team manager out of the local branch, was at a buddies referal meeting with friends where he pretty much trys to make his first sale and start his feferal leads, the manager was there backing him up called out alot of the BS in what I thought they were trying to sell being the sceptic that I am, they baited me in and I have interviewed twice now. I have a third interview coming up pretty soon, it seems to good to be true I'm sure theres alot of ins and outs I dont know seeing as how Im coming from a 180 degree change in carrer but theres only one way I know to find out and thats feet first and knees deep. The company its self is very respectful, proffessional and so far on the up and up, It could all be a front to lure me and potential agents like me in to get a few sales but that seems like a whole lot of paperwork and trouble for a few thousand dollars and some closed policies. I have done a weekends worth of full internet digging and yet havn't found one truly negative event or circumstance with the company, other than a past disgruntled employee or agent who wasn't cut out for sales. All in all seems like a good company and a tough business, but what would'nt be when your playing with someone elses money.

Interview Questions
    • have you ever failed at anything?   View Answer
    • what current groups or organizations do you participate in or have participated in?   View Answer
    none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in April 2009.

I initially went in just to find out what it would be like to work as a financial services representative as part of my career change strategy. As the meeting went on, it turned out to be more of an interview, with the agent asking me to apply for the position because he thought I would be a good fit with the company. It seemed like the people in the office were very friendly and supportive of each other. I was impressed when I saw agents helping each other even though only the primary agent would receive commissions. Thus it appears that they really just want to invest in quality people and build them up to be successful. Also, it was nice to know that they are willing to give you a partial salary in your first three years to help you get on your feet during the toughest part of your career, unlike some other companies who pay a minimum salary during training and then throw you to the wolves.

Interview Questions
    • why do you think you will be successful in financial planning?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

I first met a manager at a job fair. He was very forthcoming and extroverted. It seemed to me that these are qualities they are looking for. Basically, social skills are a huge part of the job. Sales is all about communication, getting into your client's head, caring about what is right for them, and executing it.

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in December 2011.

Contacted Managing Partner.
    Had a face to face 1 hour meeting
    took on-line pre-interview questionaire.
    Did not hear back from firm

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question that I had was, could you sell life insurance to your family.   View Answer

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Met the recruiter at a job fair. Followed up with an email and received instructions for a personality test and online application. After all was completed, recruiter called to setup an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest problem you anticipate facing on this job?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

I got an email from the company after they went thru my resume which was posted in one of those job boards , i had phone interview and one to one , very easy , the partner was a gentelman and very easy going , i got good impact about managers and partners , looking forward for next meeting to discuss more details related to salary etc

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

I received a call from a manager at a local NYL office after applying for the position on my college website. Everyone at the office was very professional and extremely friendly. Basically it is about starting my own business with all the costs associated with it and receiving training/materials from NYL. First they gave me 10 questionnaires to give to people I knew that might be interested in having me sell them life insurance and give me names of 3 referrals for the future. Then they wanted me to get a list of 200 people to start. If I could not come up with the full 200, they would supply me with names, numbers and info of people to get started. I am extremely impressed with the reputation and success of the is company but am concerned about the 100% commission and all the fees that I will need to come up with like office cubicle rent etc. to get started. They expect numbers right away in the first 90 days with 2.5 households sold a week. I have had B2B selling experience before and have run another small business with many contacts. What has me concerned is to whether with the economy the way it is, whether people are willing to part with their money to buy life insurance, the costs associated with running the business and the possibility that with the high failure rate of new agents whether I could make it.