New York Life Sales Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Columbia, TN) in January 2010.

Interview

Recruiter at local job fair was very personable and informative. After the job fair I receievd a call within 24hrs for a f2f interview. Interview went very well and received a lot of information on the company, their history, possible earnings and realistic requirements of the job. New York Life will train and support their sales staff, but for me, the cold call selling was the biggest hurdle and working 80hrs + per week to build a client base. I was impressed with the support and possible earnings (small salary while training and thru the 1st year based on your sales).

Interview Questions

• How much do you want to earn?   1 Answer

Did not want to give up my personal life (nights and weekends). It would be great opportunity for someone who loves sales and is single or doesn't want to see their family much...

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Irvine, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Interview was a 1:1 with various questions that assessed my sales skills. I was asked a group I would like to concentrate sales on, and how i would create a relationship with clients to build their trust. After words, I was taken to a small room with a computer and given a personality test.

Interview Questions

• How would you involve yourself in the community to focus on the target group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

I applied through my university and got the interview. I knew better, but thought it might be a good experience. What's strange is that I felt like the recruiter was trying to sell me on NY Life rather than me having to sell myself. The turnover in this job is very high, so they're constantly recruiting. Word of warning...if you don't feel comfortable about approaching your family and friends to buy insurance or annuities then don't even bother applying. After the 2nd interview I was given phone surveys to complete and return when I came back for my third interview. I just decided it wasn't for me. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten this job right out of high school. I feel like I've invested too much into my education to sell insurance. Everyone was very nice and professional during the whole process. The job just wasn't for me.

Interview Questions

Could have gotten the job straight out of high school without going to college. Didn't want to drive away my family and friends by trying to sell them insurance.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life in October 2009.

Interview

Pros New York Life provided me with meaningful work from the outset. The work life balance was very good. Excellent work environment. Cons Opportunities for advancement and feedback were limited. Compensation was low compared with other companies. Management seemed somewhat out of touch. Advice to Senior Management Management should provide lower level workers with more exposure. There should be more interaction among workers and more teamwork and group projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Orlando, FL) in October 2009.

Interview

Interview was very short, approx 20 min. The questions were pretty straightforward. Much of the process was the partner explaining the company, job, etc. The interview questions were mostly geared towards sales experience and ability to sell. Second interview was a bit longer. Partner began the interview by fielding any questions you have (come with a few to ask). The rest of the second interview mostly consisted of a presentation of the job, compensation, etc.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked what kind of skills I have that would contribute to the job and company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

The Managing Director seemed honest and straight-forward, but i always felt like there are conditions that are nor fully disclosed until you've joined. The training process can be hit-or-miss, but ongoing training seems great due too a great online portal and classroom training available upon getting to certain production levels.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions are asked. Be prepared to discuss your prospecting skills and ideas...also your past sales success. Do not lose sight of the fact that this is a SALES job...it about productions.   Answer Question
    • The most harrowing experience about NYLife is the extensive background and credit check. They take this too far! They will even require you to pay some delinquent bills, including credit cards!   Answer Question

Negotiation

The insurance payout is great, but considering that you are responsible for paying your own E&O and office expenses, the payout for securities are too low. Additional, you are only able to sell NYLife VAs, which do not have the best living benefits, or no living benefits in NY. However, NYLife have a take it or leave it attitude about payouts so negotiations work far.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

I have interviewed at several large insurance companies in the last couple of years. NYL is not much different than the others. They tell you about the company and its great reputation and leadership. Then they tell you about the opportunities they offer. They also tell you you have to be persistent and think long term.

Interview Questions

I have a family to support. I can't wait 3 years to start seen real money. I also don't have the resources to spend money out of pocket to just get started without guarantee that I will be able to make it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview went real smooth, I just had the luck of a really cool manager with whom I could relate to alot. Basically, there were about 3 interviews, 1st was short, and I had to take a personality test, second I had an assignment that was related to the position. and finally the final was the congraulatory interview and a presentation on compensation.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your immediate/short term goals in life?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Me just coming out of college I just wanted a job, but to recent grads, be prepared to sacrifice alot in the first 2 months; this is a commission-only job...

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Got the interview through the main team manager out of the local branch, was at a buddies referal meeting with friends where he pretty much trys to make his first sale and start his feferal leads, the manager was there backing him up called out alot of the BS in what I thought they were trying to sell being the sceptic that I am, they baited me in and I have interviewed twice now. I have a third interview coming up pretty soon, it seems to good to be true I'm sure theres alot of ins and outs I dont know seeing as how Im coming from a 180 degree change in carrer but theres only one way I know to find out and thats feet first and knees deep. The company its self is very respectful, proffessional and so far on the up and up, It could all be a front to lure me and potential agents like me in to get a few sales but that seems like a whole lot of paperwork and trouble for a few thousand dollars and some closed policies. I have done a weekends worth of full internet digging and yet havn't found one truly negative event or circumstance with the company, other than a past disgruntled employee or agent who wasn't cut out for sales. All in all seems like a good company and a tough business, but what would'nt be when your playing with someone elses money.

Interview Questions

• have you ever failed at anything?   1 Answer
    • what current groups or organizations do you participate in or have participated in?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview

It was through an on-campus interview arranged by my university. The recruiter was very nice and made sure that we were seeing eye to eye. For example, if i was offered a job my commute would not be friendly. He shared his past experiences with the company and revealed that he took a less paying position because the commute was better and less draining. He complimented my resume and offered to forward it to a branch that was closer to my home location. Overall, they make sure they have the ideal candidate.