New York Life

Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.2

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Agent Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

I got an email from the company after they went thru my resume which was posted in one of those job boards , i had phone interview and one to one , very easy , the partner was a gentelman and very easy going , i got good impact about managers and partners , looking forward for next meeting to discuss more details related to salary etc

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

I received a call from a manager at a local NYL office after applying for the position on my college website. Everyone at the office was very professional and extremely friendly. Basically it is about starting my own business with all the costs associated with it and receiving training/materials from NYL. First they gave me 10 questionnaires to give to people I knew that might be interested in having me sell them life insurance and give me names of 3 referrals for the future. Then they wanted me to get a list of 200 people to start. If I could not come up with the full 200, they would supply me with names, numbers and info of people to get started. I am extremely impressed with the reputation and success of the is company but am concerned about the 100% commission and all the fees that I will need to come up with like office cubicle rent etc. to get started. They expect numbers right away in the first 90 days with 2.5 households sold a week. I have had B2B selling experience before and have run another small business with many contacts. What has me concerned is to whether with the economy the way it is, whether people are willing to part with their money to buy life insurance, the costs associated with running the business and the possibility that with the high failure rate of new agents whether I could make it.

Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Went through 2 F2F interviews. Mostly a dog and pony show hyping the potential to make big money if you stick it out. Want new hires to have a list of 100 to 200 friends/family to immediately start marketing to. They send out letters, you call and set up appointments.

Interview Questions
    • Your assessment (happy test) indicates that you may have difficulty with rejection. Why do you think that? (or something along those lines)   View Answer

Didn't want to sell life insurance to friends and family. New York Life's other products are all propietary....not leaving much flexibility if you want to be more of a financial advisor.

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

I meet a Sales Manager/Partner at a job fair, he was very professional. We spent a little while talking and i discuss my 14 year sales background. I also gave him my resume. He let me know that they sent out an email with a link to a online test. Depending on how you score on the test would determine the next step. It took him a week to email me the test after i completed it he called me the next day to set up an interview. The offices are nice the company has a great reputation and is finically strong. The first interview was just me asking questions. I found out that process takes 3 interviews. You don not talk about compensation until the second interview. I let him know I need a base salary and with out going into specifics he said they did provide one. He shared with me information about the company, I asked many questions but it did not feel like he was asking me any "interview questions". This might have been the fact that I have extensive resume and he was confident that i could perform. We set an appointment for the second interview but I canceled later on. I did not have any negative experience with the company but wanted to pursue other options.

Interview Questions
    • How long have you lived in your current city.   View Answer
    • We will need to run your credit.   View Answer

Sales Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in July 2009.

A friend recommended I talk to an internal manager for a sales position. I spoke 3-5 times with him. He said he had been allowed to hire X number of people in the next 3-6 months. I later learned that was his "quota." I wanted to go through the training course, so it was arranged that I would receive a stipend for doing so. I have a clean background, no drugs ever, so I passed all that testing with no problem. Part of his interviewing process was to explain aspects of the NYL company to me. He really rushed through it. I think it was meant to be an hour presentation which he did in 15-min talking fast ... little time for questions and no time to process all the info. I realized that if I signed on, I'd be on my own.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to complete a form on my entire life...memories from 0-7, 7-14, 15-21, 21 on   View Answer

The deal breaker for me was they asked for several years of my prior IRS tax returns. Justification was that they were giving me a stipend and needed to verify that I was not earning other money they didn't know about. I had given them my earnings for 2 prior years from previous employment, so I didn't understand why they needed the full tax return.