New York Life

Average Difficulty
43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Agent

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in July 2009.

Interview Details – A friend recommended I talk to an internal manager for a sales position. I spoke 3-5 times with him. He said he had been allowed to hire X number of people in the next 3-6 months. I later learned that was his "quota." I wanted to go through the training course, so it was arranged that I would receive a stipend for doing so. I have a clean background, no drugs ever, so I passed all that testing with no problem. Part of his interviewing process was to explain aspects of the NYL company to me. He really rushed through it. I think it was meant to be an hour presentation which he did in 15-min talking fast ... little time for questions and no time to process all the info. I realized that if I signed on, I'd be on my own.

Interview Question – Asked me to complete a form on my entire life...memories from 0-7, 7-14, 15-21, 21 on   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The deal breaker for me was they asked for several years of my prior IRS tax returns. Justification was that they were giving me a stipend and needed to verify that I was not earning other money they didn't know about. I had given them my earnings for 2 prior years from previous employment, so I didn't understand why they needed the full tax return.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Agent

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I meet a Sales Manager/Partner at a job fair, he was very professional. We spent a little while talking and i discuss my 14 year sales background. I also gave him my resume. He let me know that they sent out an email with a link to a online test. Depending on how you score on the test would determine the next step. It took him a week to email me the test after i completed it he called me the next day to set up an interview. The offices are nice the company has a great reputation and is finically strong. The first interview was just me asking questions. I found out that process takes 3 interviews. You don not talk about compensation until the second interview. I let him know I need a base salary and with out going into specifics he said they did provide one. He shared with me information about the company, I asked many questions but it did not feel like he was asking me any "interview questions". This might have been the fact that I have extensive resume and he was confident that i could perform. We set an appointment for the second interview but I canceled later on. I did not have any negative experience with the company but wanted to pursue other options.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I did not have any negative experience with the company but wanted to pursue other options.

Sales Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – Went through 2 F2F interviews. Mostly a dog and pony show hyping the potential to make big money if you stick it out. Want new hires to have a list of 100 to 200 friends/family to immediately start marketing to. They send out letters, you call and set up appointments.

Interview Question – Your assessment (happy test) indicates that you may have difficulty with rejection. Why do you think that? (or something along those lines)   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Didn't want to sell life insurance to friends and family. New York Life's other products are all propietary....not leaving much flexibility if you want to be more of a financial advisor.