New York Public Library

18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Library Information Assistant Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – Interviewed with HR. Average questions. HR rep seemed inexperienced and rushed in interviewing process.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions - open ended scenarios.   Answer Question

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Question – None. Just be and act professional.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Senior Library Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Question – A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details – Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a problem with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the Dewey system?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Question – Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

Interview Details – I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Copyright Analyst Interview

New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

Interview Details – I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions

• Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
  • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details – Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   View Answer
  • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   View Answer

Page Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

Interview Details – I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees and interview candidates.