New York Public Library

19 candidate interviews

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Question – Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

Librarian, Young Adult Services
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Question – None. Just be and act professional.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Library Information Assistant Interview

Library Information Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – Interviewed with HR. Average questions. HR rep seemed inexperienced and rushed in interviewing process.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral questions - open ended scenarios.   Answer Question

Information Services Assistant Interview

Information Services Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

Interview Details – I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Interview Question – What type of community service have to done?   Answer Question

Computer Operator Interview

Computer Operator

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

Interview Details – First interview- Recruiting manager
Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.

Purchasing Interview

Purchasing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Interview Details – Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

Research Information Systems Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Question – What can you offer our department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Library Technical Assistant
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details – The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Question – Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Copyright Analyst Interview

Copyright Analyst
New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

Interview Details – I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions

• Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
  • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Page

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2009.

Interview Details – This was a one on one interview followed by test of skills on a second day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees and interview candidates.