New York Public Library

Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.6

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions
    • Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Questions
    There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Library Information Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Interviewed with HR. Average questions. HR rep seemed inexperienced and rushed in interviewing process.

Information Services Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Library Information Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in July 2014.

They have an initial HR interview for the position, and if you pass it, they submit your materials to the branch managers, who call you as they wish. The branches with openings do not necessarily sync up with the openings posted online. They prefer to call with interview offers, and then when you set a date, they will typically email you a confirmation. Then they'll either call you with an offer or mail you a rejection letter. Physical mail. Which takes forever to receive.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much unexpected, as difficult to answer--I was asked about what I thought about the programming of the NYPL. I had researched what I thought was the specific branch I was applying to, but it turned out she meant the NYPL as a whole, and their library-wide programs.   Answer Question

Computer Operator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

First interview- Recruiting manager
    Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions
    Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Questions
    • Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question