New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

2.7

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions

• Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in May 2009.

Interview

This was a one on one interview followed by test of skills on a second day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions

• Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   1 Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

You will be interviewing with an HR staff member to see if you meet the basic requirements of the job. Previous work experience, degree, comfort level working with a diverse public, technical aptitude, etc. You should realize that once hired for a specific position, you may be moved to another location.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is none. There is no wiggle room for entry level librarians.

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I applied online to various locations. I only revieved correspondence from the main branch. I recieved a call that i missed due to being at an internship. No voicemail. Then an email that afternoon to set up an interview. I got there early and had to wait because the interviewers was late. They took me to the back of the old storage room and pulled some chairs up. They were friendly and very approachable. They asked the basic questions and really want to make sure youre a team player, so they emphasize on questions dealing with teamwork and customer service.

Interview Questions

• They want an example that shows your customer service skills   Answer Question

At first I got the impression that because I lack customer service experience they overlooked me. A month later I was offered the job due to there still being vacancies, however because I wasn't enrolled in college this semester I couldn't accept the job.

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

The first interview is by one person and they will give you index cards to test your organization skills. Then a second interview will take place if all went well, you will be questioned by two staff members.

Interview Questions

• Several questions included about your studies, interest, goals, and as to why you wish to be employed by said library.   1 Answer

Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in October 2012.

Interview

The process took a few months, there were a number of interviews. First a phone interview, followed by a meeting with HR, then a meeting with the manager, followed by the head of the department

Professional Interview

Application

The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I was called for a screening by HR, which went well. I was the given a second round interview with the team I would work with. I thought that interview went pretty well except one interviwer was moody and rude. Needless to say I moved on and had an interview with the senior leader of the department. I was told I was a final candidate. The issue is that I never received a call back regarding an offer or telling me I didnt make it. The sad part is I had to go online and search for the job to only to find out it was closed. Very unprofessional. I am a seasoned professional and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. However based on the reviews of current employees this should not be that shocking. I will be letting everyone know about my bad experience with NYPL.

Interview Questions

• Tall about your previous experience and how it relates to this job.   Answer Question

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Questions

• Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Computer Operator Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

Interview

First interview- Recruiting manager Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

• Why should you be consider for this job?   1 Answer
    • Any questions you have for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.