New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.7

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2012.

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions
    • Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Library Information Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in July 2014.

They have an initial HR interview for the position, and if you pass it, they submit your materials to the branch managers, who call you as they wish. The branches with openings do not necessarily sync up with the openings posted online. They prefer to call with interview offers, and then when you set a date, they will typically email you a confirmation. Then they'll either call you with an offer or mail you a rejection letter. Physical mail. Which takes forever to receive.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much unexpected, as difficult to answer--I was asked about what I thought about the programming of the NYPL. I had researched what I thought was the specific branch I was applying to, but it turned out she meant the NYPL as a whole, and their library-wide programs.   Answer Question

Professional Interview

The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library.

I was called for a screening by HR, which went well. I was the given a second round interview with the team I would work with. I thought that interview went pretty well except one interviwer was moody and rude. Needless to say I moved on and had an interview with the senior leader of the department. I was told I was a final candidate. The issue is that I never received a call back regarding an offer or telling me I didnt make it. The sad part is I had to go online and search for the job to only to find out it was closed. Very unprofessional. I am a seasoned professional and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. However based on the reviews of current employees this should not be that shocking. I will be letting everyone know about my bad experience with NYPL.

Interview Questions
    • Tall about your previous experience and how it relates to this job.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

I applied online to various locations. I only revieved correspondence from the main branch. I recieved a call that i missed due to being at an internship. No voicemail. Then an email that afternoon to set up an interview. I got there early and had to wait because the interviewers was late. They took me to the back of the old storage room and pulled some chairs up. They were friendly and very approachable. They asked the basic questions and really want to make sure youre a team player, so they emphasize on questions dealing with teamwork and customer service.

Interview Questions
    • They want an example that shows your customer service skills   Answer Question

At first I got the impression that because I lack customer service experience they overlooked me. A month later I was offered the job due to there still being vacancies, however because I wasn't enrolled in college this semester I couldn't accept the job.

Development Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in October 2012.

The process took a few months, there were a number of interviews. First a phone interview, followed by a meeting with HR, then a meeting with the manager, followed by the head of the department

Librarian (Children's) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in December 2014.

I applied to several openings over a four month period (thankfully the make it very easy to apply to new positions with your stored information.) I was eventually called to interview with an HR representative. Ideally, he would have liked for me to come to his office, but I am currently living out of state so they settled for a phone interview which lasted about 45-minutes. A couple weeks later, I was called by one of the branch managers for an in-person interview. (She was even willing to do a Skype interview - though I accepted the in-person interview since I was going to visit the city anyway.) The in-person interview was a one-on-one interview between me and the branch manager. Originally, she said the interview would only last about 30-minutes; however, it was a full-hour before we finally wrapped things up.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you creatively answered a patron's question.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

The first interview is by one person and they will give you index cards to test your organization skills. Then a second interview will take place if all went well, you will be questioned by two staff members.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions included about your studies, interest, goals, and as to why you wish to be employed by said library.   View Answer

Literacy Leaders Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2015.

Vs tarted with a phone interview and then she offered for me to come in, it was very friendly and laid back. Sat upstairs In the library auditorium with the program manager and the library manager. Asked me basic questions about myself and informed me of the role. Very nice and made the job seem like fun. I accepted and I'm glad I did. Fun job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if left alone with the kids to teach?   View Answer

Computer Operator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

First interview- Recruiting manager
    Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions
    Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.