New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.7

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions

• Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to do a phone interview. This consisted of hammering me with questions about my experience. The interviewer seemed to be hammering away at what he perceived to be a deficiency in my experience (ie. running library "programs"). However, since there is nothing on my resume about this I am wondering why I was even invited to interview. I have some customer service experience both in person and via the telephone. And I was able to demonstrate various competencies in terms of problem solving, but I came away from the phone interview feeling as though I had botched it. Therefore, I was surprised when they set up a panel interview for me. This group was a lot friendlier, but I had to answer the same canned questions from a list. Fortunately I was prepared with some answers, but I felt that I was probably never going to hear from them again. I usually do very badly in these types of job interview situations because I feel like what I am doing is not rocket science and I feel like an idiot acting as though it is. Anyway, they told me they would call me in a few days (And yes, I have heard that one about a million times). The time frame they set forth has passed and I honestly do not believe I will hear from them, but if by some miracle I get an offer, I will follow up. If selected, the next step would be for a background check and drug test before a formal offer is made.

Interview Questions

• Time you were frustrated by an inability to serve a customer?   1 Answer

Enrichment Zone Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted online via the NYPL career opportunities portal. Received an email a few weeks later about setting a time for an interview. Interview was 1-on-1, fairly relaxed, with stock questions based on working with kids and tutoring kids. Brush up on why you want to be a tutor and what tools you have to help kids learn. Be prepared for situation-based questions, scenarios, etc.... Pedagogical knowledge could help, too.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about working with kids. For example, Johnny seems to be distracted today and not motivated to do his homework. Something is clearly bothering him. What do you do? Lots of situational things... Also, What do you hope to gain from being a tutor?   Answer Question

Children/Young Adult Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I am still waiting to hear from individual branch managers but the process is to interview with a main HR person who sends resumes to the branches that are looking for a librarian.

Interview Questions

• How would you build a Young Adult collection.   1 Answer
    • Programming ideas for children's libraries.   Answer Question
    • An instance when you used your communication skills to solve a problem   Answer Question

Library Information Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library in July 2014.

Interview

They have an initial HR interview for the position, and if you pass it, they submit your materials to the branch managers, who call you as they wish. The branches with openings do not necessarily sync up with the openings posted online. They prefer to call with interview offers, and then when you set a date, they will typically email you a confirmation. Then they'll either call you with an offer or mail you a rejection letter. Physical mail. Which takes forever to receive.

Interview Questions

• Not so much unexpected, as difficult to answer--I was asked about what I thought about the programming of the NYPL. I had researched what I thought was the specific branch I was applying to, but it turned out she meant the NYPL as a whole, and their library-wide programs.   Answer Question

Professional Interview

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I was called for a screening by HR, which went well. I was the given a second round interview with the team I would work with. I thought that interview went pretty well except one interviwer was moody and rude. Needless to say I moved on and had an interview with the senior leader of the department. I was told I was a final candidate. The issue is that I never received a call back regarding an offer or telling me I didnt make it. The sad part is I had to go online and search for the job to only to find out it was closed. Very unprofessional. I am a seasoned professional and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. However based on the reviews of current employees this should not be that shocking. I will be letting everyone know about my bad experience with NYPL.

Interview Questions

• Tall about your previous experience and how it relates to this job.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I applied online to various locations. I only revieved correspondence from the main branch. I recieved a call that i missed due to being at an internship. No voicemail. Then an email that afternoon to set up an interview. I got there early and had to wait because the interviewers was late. They took me to the back of the old storage room and pulled some chairs up. They were friendly and very approachable. They asked the basic questions and really want to make sure youre a team player, so they emphasize on questions dealing with teamwork and customer service.

Interview Questions

• They want an example that shows your customer service skills   Answer Question

At first I got the impression that because I lack customer service experience they overlooked me. A month later I was offered the job due to there still being vacancies, however because I wasn't enrolled in college this semester I couldn't accept the job.

Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library in October 2012.

Interview

The process took a few months, there were a number of interviews. First a phone interview, followed by a meeting with HR, then a meeting with the manager, followed by the head of the department

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library in December 2014.

Interview

I applied to several openings over a four month period (thankfully the make it very easy to apply to new positions with your stored information.) I was eventually called to interview with an HR representative. Ideally, he would have liked for me to come to his office, but I am currently living out of state so they settled for a phone interview which lasted about 45-minutes. A couple weeks later, I was called by one of the branch managers for an in-person interview. (She was even willing to do a Skype interview - though I accepted the in-person interview since I was going to visit the city anyway.) The in-person interview was a one-on-one interview between me and the branch manager. Originally, she said the interview would only last about 30-minutes; however, it was a full-hour before we finally wrapped things up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you creatively answered a patron's question.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

The first interview is by one person and they will give you index cards to test your organization skills. Then a second interview will take place if all went well, you will be questioned by two staff members.

Interview Questions

• Several questions included about your studies, interest, goals, and as to why you wish to be employed by said library.   1 Answer