New York Public Library

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews

Senior Library Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview Details – Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Question – A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

Interview Details – I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details – Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at NYPL?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details – Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a problem with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Page Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

Interview Details – I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details – Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   View Answer
  • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   View Answer

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the Dewey system?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in February 2008.

Interview Details – Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Question – What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Computer Operator Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

Interview Details – First interview- Recruiting manager
Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Question – What can you offer our department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees and interview candidates.