New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014
Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.6

Senior Library Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Questions
    • A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

Pre-Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library.

I was called in for an interview by the woman who would become by manager and then a few days later I received a call from HR saying that I was hired.

The Interview process was fairly laid-back. I didn't feel as if the interviewer was trying to trip me up. She presented the requirements and description of the position with good detail and answered any questions I had. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2008.

Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Questions
    • What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions
    My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions
    • What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   View Answer
    • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   View Answer

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question