New York Public Library

Relevance Date Difficulty

Page Interview

Page
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

Interview Details – I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

Research Information Systems Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Question – What can you offer our department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Purchasing Interview

Purchasing
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Interview Details – Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in February 2008.

Interview Details – Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Question – What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Library Technical Assistant
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details – The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Question – Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Library Page Interview

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details – Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Information Services Assistant Interview

Information Services Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

Interview Details – I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Interview Question – What type of community service have to done?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Page

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in May 2009.

Interview Details – This was a one on one interview followed by test of skills on a second day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Computer Operator Interview

Computer Operator

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

Interview Details – First interview- Recruiting manager
Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.