New York Public Library

Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.7

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in November 2010.

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   View Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions
    • What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   View Answer
    • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   View Answer

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

No negotiation

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Questions
    • Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2008.

Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Questions
    • What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions
    My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Information Services Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.