New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

2.7

Senior Library Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Questions

• A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

Interview

I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Senior Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with two ladies, Maria and LIz. It was a lot of generic situation questions. But it was pretty simple. Customer service is really important here. I'm not sure why that surprised me, but it did.

Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Public Library in October 2012.

Interview

The process took a few months, there were a number of interviews. First a phone interview, followed by a meeting with HR, then a meeting with the manager, followed by the head of the department

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions

• Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Copyright Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I met with two people. One was in the legal department and the other was on the business management side. I thought both interviews were conducted very professionally. I didn't feel like the questions they asked were "gotcha" questions or like they put me on the spot, and I felt like they took care to educate me as much about the position as they did to see if I met their needs. I didn't end up getting the job, but I had a good enough experience with the interview process that it makes me remain interested in working there in the future.

Interview Questions

• Let's pretend that a donor wants to donate to the NYPLE pictures that his father took of a famous gay pride parade in New York City. The pictures show people in various outfits, with their faces clearly shown, but does not identify the individuals by name. You'd like to be able to include the pictures in an exhibit that the museum is putting up. What copyright considerations are you confronted with here? How would you handle them?   1 Answer
    • Why does the NYPL interest you as a place to work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work at NYPL?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

See What New York Public Library Employees Are Saying

Current Reference Librarian in New York, NY

Pros: “We bring it. We have so many resources that we can make accessible to the public that is clearly in need. I'm not talking about the demanding types on the Upper East Side, but those...”“We bring it. We have so many resources that we can make accessible to the public that is clearly in need. I'm not talking about the demanding types on the Upper East Side, but those truly in need in the South Bronx, or in the poorer areas of Staten Island or Northern Manhattan. The people without home computers, the people who can't speak English. The people who value our programs, our talented staff, even our warm buildings in this frigid weather. In that respect, NYPL has few rivals. Our health insurance, while better in previous years, is not terrible. Currently, it's Cigna, which is a lot of paperwork and can be problematic at times, but it could be much worse.” – Full Review