New York Public Library

Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.6

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

No negotiation

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2009.

Everyone was very professional and seemed knowledgeable.

Library Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

The interviewer seemed a bit angry. I felt like I chose a bad day and interviewer, because she didn't seem like she was in the mood. She made strong eye contact, almost intimidating. I tried making a few jokes to ease the energy in the room, and that didn't work.

Interview Questions
    • Has their ever been a policy at a work station that you did not feel comfortable doing?   Answer Question

It was a full time job and I couldn't keep it due to being a full time student.

Research Information Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in May 2008.

Interviewed by HR. Then called back to be interviewed by upper management and direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    Stick to your guns for $10k more. They low ball what they offer. When asked, "does not getting what you want deter you from taking the position?" Say yes, if you can't meet my minimum requirement, I can not take the position. They'll say they have to check their budget and call you back. Be patient, it's a scare tactic. They will call you back.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2008.

Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Questions
    • What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in January 2008.

I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions
    My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Information Services Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in February 2012.

I went on two interviews also had a drug test as well as a background test. It took forever to get to the next step. Process took about a month and a half just to hear back from someone. Since it too so long I get a different job which only took 3days to get hired.

Page Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in May 2009.

This was a one on one interview followed by test of skills on a second day.

no negotiation.

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Computer Operator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Public Library in April 2008.

First interview- Recruiting manager
    Second Interview- Supervisor and Hiring Manager

Interview Questions
    Salary was not negotiable, job description specified what I was applying for, requirements and salary information.