New York Public Library

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Interview Details – Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a problem with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the Dewey system?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

Interview Details – I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Library Page

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Interview Details – Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at NYPL?   View Answer

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!