New York Public Library

Updated Jan 8, 2015

2.0

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Library Page Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Public Library.

I applied online to various locations. I only revieved correspondence from the main branch. I recieved a call that i missed due to being at an internship. No voicemail. Then an email that afternoon to set up an interview. I got there early and had to wait because the interviewers was late. They took me to the back of the old storage room and pulled some chairs up. They were friendly and very approachable. They asked the basic questions and really want to make sure youre a team player, so they emphasize on questions dealing with teamwork and customer service.

Interview Questions
  • They want an example that shows your customer service skills   Answer Question

At first I got the impression that because I lack customer service experience they overlooked me. A month later I was offered the job due to there still being vacancies, however because I wasn't enrolled in college this semester I couldn't accept the job.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Public Library

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in December 2013.

I applied for this job online and recieved a call within two weeks. It didnt feel like an interview it felt more like having a conversation with someone. The interviewer explained the job description and also gave me a tour since this was a new branch that did not open yet. She asked if I was familiar with the Dewey system which is how the library organizes books.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Public Library in August 2010.

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in June 2010.

Online application, got called by HR within a week for an interview where they just ask you to organize material alphabetically and numerically. Got called for a second interview onsite by the hiring department and interviewed followed by the job offer later in the day.

No negotiation

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Public Library in September 2008.

Sent my resume and cover letter in to the main branch, received a call within about a month. I came in for an interview, they gave me an assessment of my organizational abilities and then I was hired, held a meeting shortly after giving me documentation etc.