New York State Department of Labor Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

Labor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hauppauge, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in April 2012.

To become a permanent employee, one must take civil service examination and try to score high to obtain top ranking. Then you become part of a list. If a particular location has a vacancy they will send you a canvas letter asking you if interest in this position at location. If yes, most likely you get contacted for an interview., where they ask you about your experience, customer service, you and team environment, assignments, computer literacy, etc. Even though they give you the interview unfortunately they already have in mind a candidate since out the rule of 3 for civil service exams for top ranking candidates, they will select the higher score no matter what. In other words, if 3 people were selected for an interview and you are participant with a score of 80, you will not be selected. The person with higher score will be hired. Your interview was only a formality.

Interview Questions
    • If you are an hourly employee looking for permanent position, they might ask you how would handle your assignments and responsibilities with a different manager?   Answer Question

Clerk I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hicksville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hicksville, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in June 2010.

There was no prior knowledge of the interview. I received a phone call from a random number and decided to answer, which in turn became my interview. Although unprepared, the two women I spoke with were very kind and interested in my experiences and transferable skills. The call lasted approximately 10 minutes and about a week later I was given a call stating that I was hired for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how this position would benefit my educational major.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in January 2010.

promotional interview so everything from the 10 years previous came to bear; attitude, ethics, work load, abiltiy to multi-task, quality, interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, stress management, critical thinking, program development, technical abilities.....What made the difference in the end was showing how much I wanted the job and what I was willing to do to get it - come prepared and prove value!

Interview Questions
    • questions about presentation and training   View Answer
    there wasn't one. with civil service the salary and benefits are not negotiable

LSR Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in July 2009.

Normal interviewing process (after the civil service test)

N/A

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York State Department of Labor

Worked for New York State Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!