New York Times

37 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

User Experience Research Manager Interview

Interviewed at New York Times

Interview Details – Several rounds of interviews - starting with HR, then phone interviews, and finally an in person interview. They claim to want a UX Research Manager, but really want a miracle worker that can help them make people pay for the news.

Interview Question – "Hypothetically, if there is a lot of interest in the sports area, how would you go about researching next steps for new products" - a lot of product conception questions, and how you'll help their apps make money. More product/creative questions, less UX / usability / research questions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Times in October 2010.

Interview Details – Account Managers are hired both internally and from outside. Typically the job the posted on websites and on the Co website, recruiters screen the resumes and invite suitable candidates for an interview first with HR then with the hiring managers ( Ad Directors,VP, EVP)
If you are hired from within you are interviewed directly by the Ad Director and the VP first.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the world, typical questions like tell me about yourself, your accomplishments, most difficult problem and how you solved it, 5 year career plan etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fixed salary range, no negotiations

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – I was referred by an existing employee. I had a high-level phone screen to test basic stuff like "what does 'strongly typed' mean?" Then had a phone screen with an engineer with questions like, "What pieces comprise an HTTP request?" Finally had an on-site interview (they paid for my flight to NY and car service, and even accommodated a schedule that would allow me to visit friends!). Met members from multiple software groups where I had to write an XMLHTTPRequest demo, debug some esoteric internally developed software, and answer basic questions.

Interview Question – What are Javascript closures and how do they work?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test/Software Development In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Times in January 2014.

Interview Details – got an email from recruiter, after a couple of emails set up a time for a phone interview with one of the senior members in quality team. The interviewer had a strong accent and sounded like drunk. He was probably not ready for the interview asking same questions and I had to repeat myself again and again. He was probably not wiling to talk also. He didn't introduce himself and didn't give a clue what exactly his team does or anything about the job. He asked ew basic questions on HTML tags, jquery, HTTP protocol like why this tag needed why that protocol needed which are very stupid questions related to SDET role I believe. I already said initially I don't have any SDET experience, still he asked (or gave statement not sure) "So you don't have any SDET experience", same again "So you don't know python/perl".

Interview Question – Don't remember, don't want to remember.   View Answer

Director Marketing Planning Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – Very thorough process. You got to meet the entire team of players and stakeholders in 1 day in a series of 30-minute interviews. Although you are pretty much wrung out by the end you have a decent flavor of what it will be like to work there and what is expected. Also eliminates the need for multiple interviews.

Interview Question – The interview questions are all situational. So be prepared to talk about accomplishments and how that relates to what they need.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at the Times?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Engineer Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – Applied through the website and HR coordinator (maybe manager) contacted me for a phone Interview. We scheduled one and the interviewer never called on the scheduled time. I emailed back, they said sorry and scheduled another one. The next time they called, with 2 interviewers. Apparently liked me enough to fly me over to do an In-Person interview. I have to admit their HR is very accommodating and let me come in a few days earlier to visit friends.

I had the interview on a monday with 8 people, in 4 sessions (2 per session). The last one was cancelled. Seemed like a successful interview.

When I got home, the next day, I sent in my Thank you letter to the hiring manager and was told that i'd hear from them soon.

Its been over a month since they responded. I sent 2 emails to the HR coordinator and not a single peep. I'm assuming they rejected me so I'm gonna mark this one up as a "no offer"

Interview Question – Asked some industry standard questions. Even asked some personal ones too, but didn't mind, just asking me if I was married or not.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Designer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in November 2011.

Interview Details – First, met with hiring agent, then, manager of department, who had with her in the interview, a colleague (more like, friend, as it turned out) from an entirely different, unrelated department. Kind of like a security blanket, in retrospect.

Interview Question – All softball questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since the hiring was through an agent, I was aware from day 1 what the rate was.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – 1) Contacted by email to arrange phone interview.
2) Phone interview.
3) Email to arrange in person interviews.
4) In person interviews with several people - about 30 minutes each.
5) Two weeks pass.
6) Email to arrange in round of in person interviews, no information as to who you will be interviewing.
7) Round of interviews, again about 30 minute apiece.
8) Two weeks pass.
9) Emailed to inquire whether position was filled or if still in consideration.
10) No response for 2 days and then
11) Heartfelt and personal email thanking candidate but they have reviewed candidate's qualifications against their current staffing needs and based on their review, they cannot offer candidate a position at this time. (the last bit was sarcastic, it was very impersonal and badly worded.)

Interview Questions

• HR must hire interns or high school students, because the person I dealt with had no email etiquette and was poorly spoken. NOT a good representative of the company.

The interviews themselves were informative and enjoyable, but HR left a bad taste in my mouth.
      Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

Interview Details – 1 Telephonic interview of about 30 min, that touches little bit of everything. Once this is cleared, you will be called for in-person. There are 7 rounds of 30 minutes each scheduled. During the first round, you will be given online test which you will be doing with interviewers. If the test is cleared, you will have further rounds.

Interview Question – Make sure you are comfortable with MAC   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Times

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Times interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Times employees and interview candidates.