New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.9

Javascript Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I received a curt email from the NYT recruiter asking for availability for a phone interview. The technical interviewer was late to the call, and preceded every question with some variation of "Sorry, I'm in a rush," and often interjected my answers with "that's enough".

All questions were either about documentation semantics for Backbone/Angular (really?), or relatively easy, but nuanced, questions about web development in general (CORS, scope in Javascript) that require more than a sentence to answer. However, like I mentioned earlier—I kept getting cut off when going into detail—so I assume that the interviewer didn't understand many of the questions and was reading from a list that a more experienced JS developer wrote.

Interview Questions

• Q: What happens when typing a URL into a web browser?   1 Answer

Digital Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

HR set up the interview time with manager and director. Standard interview questions with manager then dive into more details of previous work experience with director. I thought we had a nice conversation but I didn't hear from them later on. Probably they hired other candidates.

Product Manager, Web Products Interview

Interview

Received a call from HR followed by an in-person interview. Did not get a call back explaining why they decided not to proceed. When I followed up, received no response. Glad I didn't receive an offer as I wouldn't want to work for a company that treats potential applicants in such an unprofessional manner.

Newsroom Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail for an "informational interview" opportunity over the phone. Upon speaking with the human resources individual, I found out they were interested in finding someone to do newsroom analytics, sort of a combination of work taken from journalism-background and from a data analysis/SQL background.

The interview went well, but I didn't hear anything back for a while. I sent an e-mail about 3 weeks after the interview to follow up and ask how the process was going. Instead of getting back to me, I simply received an e-mail asking what my availability would be for a second phone interview.

The second interview is tomorrow, and I'm in the process of preparing for it.

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Times in March 2015.

Interview

I received a single sentence, grammatically incorrect email from a recruiter asking for my availability for a phone interview.

Later that week I interviewed with the a manager by phone.

While answering most questions, I would get cut off as "that’s enough" leaving me unsure if I was correctly answering the question, going down the wrong avenue of discussion, or answering the question incorrectly.

The interview did not seem very concerned with me as a developer or how I would fit the position aside from lots of trivia about obscure parts of various frameworks and browser networking. Most of the questions were fairly easy or straightforward (CORS, scope, HTTP requests, DNS lookup, caching) while some were more implementation specific (Backbone initialization functions and differences between Backbone and Marionette).

I received no follow up and had to reach out to find out my status.

Interview Questions

• How can you know when an Angular Directive is done updating?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

interview with general political and business news, as well as historical questions. Some opinions, and others are behavioral questions. Most of them are general knowledges learned in high school/college, but some are related to real market.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Had an easy phone interview and then was sent a problem to solve as homework. The problem was not hard - just had to download a json response, parse the response and convert the text. Didn't receive any feedback as to what they were looking for. Simply a rejection. I've been an iOS Engineer for 5 years and was stumped as to what was wrong. Another colleague went through the same process about the same time frame and he has similar iOS development experience with an MS in computer science and he experienced the same thing with his problem. It makes you wonder whether or not they are actually hiring people.

I spent about 8 hours on the problem and so did my friend.

Freelance Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred by a mutual friend. I interviewed in person at their about.com headquarters in the conference room. After a brief review of my portfolio, the rest of the interview revolved around getting acquainted with each other, followed by a tour of the workplace.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Let them make the first offer.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me about a Data Scientist position and submitted my resume. First, I spoke with the hiring manager and then with one of the resident data scientists in two separate calls. I pass the telephone screens and get invited to an onsite interview. I get there, and the first two interviewers (same session) start asking me to type Unix commands. I'm thinking to myself, uh shouldn't I be explaining the details of a random forest to you? Then it hits me.... they are interviewing me for a Data Engineer position. Bait and switch. I then have a series of five interviews, all very easy questions about linked lists, depth-first searches, and some Python code to debug (Hint: it's a deep copy). Two of the interviewers were non-technical managers who couldn't hack it in Silicon Valley, so they returned to the NYT nest. For the duration of the afternoon, I was thinking to myself, man these people are jaded but certainly have no reason to be. The exception was a brilliant engineer from the Caribbean, and I was thinking okay, this is cool. His manager was present during this interview, and clearly he did not like the way we were bonding during a coding exercise on the whiteboard. As other interviewers pointed out, it's about liking you, and if one of them does not, then you're hit. As far as technical expertise, keep it in your head.

Team Lead of Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the role of Team lead at the Help Desk. The interview was very easy and nice. Met with three different managers. Sadly never heard a peep back even after a thank you email was sent.