New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.8

Campus Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

A brief phone interview asking me about prior sales experience and how I would be able to succeed in selling the product on campus. The interview was rather brief and easy. As long as you are well spoken over the phone you will get the position.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to produce sales for the New York Times?   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Interview

I met with the editor in New York. The job interview was conversational and friendly. He wanted to know about working conditions, my desired salary, and described the number of pieces he wanted me to write. His assistant called the next day and told me that I got the job.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Great interview Process. They rescinded their offer after making me go through background checks and drug screenings! Reason for revocation was because they thought I hesitated when they wanted to talk to my current employer. I just wanted to end on good terms with my current employer. I thought the revocation of the offer was unfair and will probably not recommend NYT.

EA Interview

Interview

Everyone was very nice and welcoming; obviously smart. However, the process itself was a bit disorganized. I have no complaints with the environment or the people, and they handled a last minute scheduling issue well.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions about goals and transferable skills.   Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

3 round of interviews, back to back. First one with VP and others with directors of department of Electronic commerce and with magazine publishing business. Both directors ask only for their specifics tasks while VP asks for both roles and how to balance time. VP asks for transferable skills from previous jobs to this role

Interview Questions

• What information would you need to make an analysis on where to launch T magazine abroad?   Answer Question

Javascript Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I received a curt email from the NYT recruiter asking for availability for a phone interview. The technical interviewer was late to the call, and preceded every question with some variation of "Sorry, I'm in a rush," and often interjected my answers with "that's enough". All questions were either about documentation semantics for Backbone/Angular (really?), or relatively easy, but nuanced, questions about web development in general (CORS, scope in Javascript) that require more than a sentence to answer. However, like I mentioned earlier—I kept getting cut off when going into detail—so I assume that the interviewer didn't understand many of the questions and was reading from a list that a more experienced JS developer wrote.

Interview Questions

• Q: What happens when typing a URL into a web browser?   1 Answer

Digital Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

HR set up the interview time with manager and director. Standard interview questions with manager then dive into more details of previous work experience with director. I thought we had a nice conversation but I didn't hear from them later on. Probably they hired other candidates.

Interview Questions

Interview

Received a call from HR followed by an in-person interview. Did not get a call back explaining why they decided not to proceed. When I followed up, received no response. Glad I didn't receive an offer as I wouldn't want to work for a company that treats potential applicants in such an unprofessional manner.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Times in March 2015.

Interview

I received a single sentence, grammatically incorrect email from a recruiter asking for my availability for a phone interview. Later that week I interviewed with the a manager by phone. While answering most questions, I would get cut off as "that’s enough" leaving me unsure if I was correctly answering the question, going down the wrong avenue of discussion, or answering the question incorrectly. The interview did not seem very concerned with me as a developer or how I would fit the position aside from lots of trivia about obscure parts of various frameworks and browser networking. Most of the questions were fairly easy or straightforward (CORS, scope, HTTP requests, DNS lookup, caching) while some were more implementation specific (Backbone initialization functions and differences between Backbone and Marionette). I received no follow up and had to reach out to find out my status.

Interview Questions

• How can you know when an Angular Directive is done updating?   1 Answer

Newsroom Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via e-mail for an "informational interview" opportunity over the phone. Upon speaking with the human resources individual, I found out they were interested in finding someone to do newsroom analytics, sort of a combination of work taken from journalism-background and from a data analysis/SQL background. The interview went well, but I didn't hear anything back for a while. I sent an e-mail about 3 weeks after the interview to follow up and ask how the process was going. Instead of getting back to me, I simply received an e-mail asking what my availability would be for a second phone interview. The second interview is tomorrow, and I'm in the process of preparing for it.