New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.8

Interview

long and extensive, interview with several people, 3 rounds of interview required. HR interview was fast, but they don't really make the decision. Position title is vague, they are still trying to figure things out internally.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

It was extensive and took a few weeks to hear back after each step (so don't be discouraged!) Here is the process, after each step there was a chance you would not hear back: Step 1: Apply Step 2: Fill out Google form survey and wait to hear back Step 3: Webcam Video Interview* Step 4: Phone/In-person Interview * This was unusual (but not bad). They give you three days to go onto a website and record a video of you answering questions (but you can do this at any time from any computer). You click "Go" and it pulls up a question; you get 60 seconds to read the question and contemplate your answer, then it starts to record you, and you get 1-3 minutes to talk, then it automatically stops, or you can stop it early. You can't see the questions ahead of time and you can't re-record them, but you can take a break in between questions. It takes about 20 minutes total (I needed a break to calm my nerves).

Interview Questions

• What makes The New York Times a unique organization with unique challenges?   Answer Question
    • How do you interact with social media and who are some of the influencers you follow?   1 Answer
    • What are your ideas for the intern project?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between marketing and advertising?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Two interviewers came in and talked to me about the company (spent some time discussing about the department where they work at, what they do). The interview itself was very conversational - very back and forth. There weren't too many behavioral questions, but they really do try to make it as comfortable for the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Talk to us about your process, how do you work in a group setting, how would you help us improve our product   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

A brief phone interview asking me about prior sales experience and how I would be able to succeed in selling the product on campus. The interview was rather brief and easy. As long as you are well spoken over the phone you will get the position.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to produce sales for the New York Times?   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Interview

I met with the editor in New York. The job interview was conversational and friendly. He wanted to know about working conditions, my desired salary, and described the number of pieces he wanted me to write. His assistant called the next day and told me that I got the job.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Great interview Process. They rescinded their offer after making me go through background checks and drug screenings! Reason for revocation was because they thought I hesitated when they wanted to talk to my current employer. I just wanted to end on good terms with my current employer. I thought the revocation of the offer was unfair and will probably not recommend NYT.

EA Interview

Interview

Everyone was very nice and welcoming; obviously smart. However, the process itself was a bit disorganized. I have no complaints with the environment or the people, and they handled a last minute scheduling issue well.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions about goals and transferable skills.   Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

3 round of interviews, back to back. First one with VP and others with directors of department of Electronic commerce and with magazine publishing business. Both directors ask only for their specifics tasks while VP asks for both roles and how to balance time. VP asks for transferable skills from previous jobs to this role

Interview Questions

• What information would you need to make an analysis on where to launch T magazine abroad?   Answer Question

Javascript Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I received a curt email from the NYT recruiter asking for availability for a phone interview. The technical interviewer was late to the call, and preceded every question with some variation of "Sorry, I'm in a rush," and often interjected my answers with "that's enough". All questions were either about documentation semantics for Backbone/Angular (really?), or relatively easy, but nuanced, questions about web development in general (CORS, scope in Javascript) that require more than a sentence to answer. However, like I mentioned earlier—I kept getting cut off when going into detail—so I assume that the interviewer didn't understand many of the questions and was reading from a list that a more experienced JS developer wrote.

Interview Questions

• Q: What happens when typing a URL into a web browser?   1 Answer

Digital Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

HR set up the interview time with manager and director. Standard interview questions with manager then dive into more details of previous work experience with director. I thought we had a nice conversation but I didn't hear from them later on. Probably they hired other candidates.