New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

interview with general political and business news, as well as historical questions. Some opinions, and others are behavioral questions. Most of them are general knowledges learned in high school/college, but some are related to real market.

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times.

Had an easy phone interview and then was sent a problem to solve as homework. The problem was not hard - just had to download a json response, parse the response and convert the text. Didn't receive any feedback as to what they were looking for. Simply a rejection. I've been an iOS Engineer for 5 years and was stumped as to what was wrong. Another colleague went through the same process about the same time frame and he has similar iOS development experience with an MS in computer science and he experienced the same thing with his problem. It makes you wonder whether or not they are actually hiring people.

I spent about 8 hours on the problem and so did my friend.

Freelance Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times.

I was referred by a mutual friend. I interviewed in person at their about.com headquarters in the conference room. After a brief review of my portfolio, the rest of the interview revolved around getting acquainted with each other, followed by a tour of the workplace.

Interview Questions
    Let them make the first offer.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times in July 2014.

The recruiter contacted me about a Data Scientist position and submitted my resume. First, I spoke with the hiring manager and then with one of the resident data scientists in two separate calls. I pass the telephone screens and get invited to an onsite interview. I get there, and the first two interviewers (same session) start asking me to type Unix commands. I'm thinking to myself, uh shouldn't I be explaining the details of a random forest to you? Then it hits me.... they are interviewing me for a Data Engineer position. Bait and switch. I then have a series of five interviews, all very easy questions about linked lists, depth-first searches, and some Python code to debug (Hint: it's a deep copy). Two of the interviewers were non-technical managers who couldn't hack it in Silicon Valley, so they returned to the NYT nest. For the duration of the afternoon, I was thinking to myself, man these people are jaded but certainly have no reason to be. The exception was a brilliant engineer from the Caribbean, and I was thinking okay, this is cool. His manager was present during this interview, and clearly he did not like the way we were bonding during a coding exercise on the whiteboard. As other interviewers pointed out, it's about liking you, and if one of them does not, then you're hit. As far as technical expertise, keep it in your head.

Team Lead of Help Desk Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times in June 2014.

I applied online for the role of Team lead at the Help Desk. The interview was very easy and nice. Met with three different managers. Sadly never heard a peep back even after a thank you email was sent.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Times in May 2014.

The phone screen was a breeze and the code test wasn't that hard, but they never followed up with me. I never found out if my code was bad, or if they just moved on to another candidate. I still wish they offered the feedback, is it really that much to offer?

Interview Questions
    • The phone screen barely had any technical questions   View Answer

User Experience Research Manager Interview

Several rounds of interviews - starting with HR, then phone interviews, and finally an in person interview. They claim to want a UX Research Manager, but really want a miracle worker that can help them make people pay for the news.

Interview Questions
    • "Hypothetically, if there is a lot of interest in the sports area, how would you go about researching next steps for new products" - a lot of product conception questions, and how you'll help their apps make money. More product/creative questions, less UX / usability / research questions.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

I was referred by an existing employee. I had a high-level phone screen to test basic stuff like "what does 'strongly typed' mean?" Then had a phone screen with an engineer with questions like, "What pieces comprise an HTTP request?" Finally had an on-site interview (they paid for my flight to NY and car service, and even accommodated a schedule that would allow me to visit friends!). Met members from multiple software groups where I had to write an XMLHTTPRequest demo, debug some esoteric internally developed software, and answer basic questions.

Director Marketing Planning Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times.

Very thorough process. You got to meet the entire team of players and stakeholders in 1 day in a series of 30-minute interviews. Although you are pretty much wrung out by the end you have a decent flavor of what it will be like to work there and what is expected. Also eliminates the need for multiple interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are all situational. So be prepared to talk about accomplishments and how that relates to what they need.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test/Software Development In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times in January 2014.

got an email from recruiter, after a couple of emails set up a time for a phone interview with one of the senior members in quality team. The interviewer had a strong accent and sounded like drunk. He was probably not ready for the interview asking same questions and I had to repeat myself again and again. He was probably not wiling to talk also. He didn't introduce himself and didn't give a clue what exactly his team does or anything about the job. He asked ew basic questions on HTML tags, jquery, HTTP protocol like why this tag needed why that protocol needed which are very stupid questions related to SDET role I believe. I already said initially I don't have any SDET experience, still he asked (or gave statement not sure) "So you don't have any SDET experience", same again "So you don't know python/perl".

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember, don't want to remember.   View Answer