New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.9

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me about a Data Scientist position and submitted my resume. First, I spoke with the hiring manager and then with one of the resident data scientists in two separate calls. I pass the telephone screens and get invited to an onsite interview. I get there, and the first two interviewers (same session) start asking me to type Unix commands. I'm thinking to myself, uh shouldn't I be explaining the details of a random forest to you? Then it hits me.... they are interviewing me for a Data Engineer position. Bait and switch. I then have a series of five interviews, all very easy questions about linked lists, depth-first searches, and some Python code to debug (Hint: it's a deep copy). Two of the interviewers were non-technical managers who couldn't hack it in Silicon Valley, so they returned to the NYT nest. For the duration of the afternoon, I was thinking to myself, man these people are jaded but certainly have no reason to be. The exception was a brilliant engineer from the Caribbean, and I was thinking okay, this is cool. His manager was present during this interview, and clearly he did not like the way we were bonding during a coding exercise on the whiteboard. As other interviewers pointed out, it's about liking you, and if one of them does not, then you're hit. As far as technical expertise, keep it in your head.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Times in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the role of Team lead at the Help Desk. The interview was very easy and nice. Met with three different managers. Sadly never heard a peep back even after a thank you email was sent.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

The phone screen was a breeze and the code test wasn't that hard, but they never followed up with me. I never found out if my code was bad, or if they just moved on to another candidate. I still wish they offered the feedback, is it really that much to offer?

Interview Questions

• The phone screen barely had any technical questions   1 Answer

Interview

Several rounds of interviews - starting with HR, then phone interviews, and finally an in person interview. They claim to want a UX Research Manager, but really want a miracle worker that can help them make people pay for the news.

Interview Questions

• "Hypothetically, if there is a lot of interest in the sports area, how would you go about researching next steps for new products" - a lot of product conception questions, and how you'll help their apps make money. More product/creative questions, less UX / usability / research questions.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I was referred by an existing employee. I had a high-level phone screen to test basic stuff like "what does 'strongly typed' mean?" Then had a phone screen with an engineer with questions like, "What pieces comprise an HTTP request?" Finally had an on-site interview (they paid for my flight to NY and car service, and even accommodated a schedule that would allow me to visit friends!). Met members from multiple software groups where I had to write an XMLHTTPRequest demo, debug some esoteric internally developed software, and answer basic questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Very thorough process. You got to meet the entire team of players and stakeholders in 1 day in a series of 30-minute interviews. Although you are pretty much wrung out by the end you have a decent flavor of what it will be like to work there and what is expected. Also eliminates the need for multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are all situational. So be prepared to talk about accomplishments and how that relates to what they need.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times in January 2014.

Interview

got an email from recruiter, after a couple of emails set up a time for a phone interview with one of the senior members in quality team. The interviewer had a strong accent and sounded like drunk. He was probably not ready for the interview asking same questions and I had to repeat myself again and again. He was probably not wiling to talk also. He didn't introduce himself and didn't give a clue what exactly his team does or anything about the job. He asked ew basic questions on HTML tags, jquery, HTTP protocol like why this tag needed why that protocol needed which are very stupid questions related to SDET role I believe. I already said initially I don't have any SDET experience, still he asked (or gave statement not sure) "So you don't have any SDET experience", same again "So you don't know python/perl".

Interview Questions

• Don't remember, don't want to remember.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through the website and HR coordinator (maybe manager) contacted me for a phone Interview. We scheduled one and the interviewer never called on the scheduled time. I emailed back, they said sorry and scheduled another one. The next time they called, with 2 interviewers. Apparently liked me enough to fly me over to do an In-Person interview. I have to admit their HR is very accommodating and let me come in a few days earlier to visit friends.

I had the interview on a monday with 8 people, in 4 sessions (2 per session). The last one was cancelled. Seemed like a successful interview.

When I got home, the next day, I sent in my Thank you letter to the hiring manager and was told that i'd hear from them soon.

Its been over a month since they responded. I sent 2 emails to the HR coordinator and not a single peep. I'm assuming they rejected me so I'm gonna mark this one up as a "no offer"

Interview Questions

• Asked some industry standard questions. Even asked some personal ones too, but didn't mind, just asking me if I was married or not.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

Interview

1) Contacted by email to arrange phone interview.
    2) Phone interview.
    3) Email to arrange in person interviews.
    4) In person interviews with several people - about 30 minutes each.
    5) Two weeks pass.
    6) Email to arrange in round of in person interviews, no information as to who you will be interviewing.
    7) Round of interviews, again about 30 minute apiece.
    8) Two weeks pass.
    9) Emailed to inquire whether position was filled or if still in consideration.
    10) No response for 2 days and then
    11) Heartfelt and personal email thanking candidate but they have reviewed candidate's qualifications against their current staffing needs and based on their review, they cannot offer candidate a position at this time. (the last bit was sarcastic, it was very impersonal and badly worded.)

Interview Questions

• HR must hire interns or high school students, because the person I dealt with had no email etiquette and was poorly spoken. NOT a good representative of the company.

The interviews themselves were informative and enjoyable, but HR left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question