New York Times

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

Interview Details – 1 Telephonic interview of about 30 min, that touches little bit of everything. Once this is cleared, you will be called for in-person. There are 7 rounds of 30 minutes each scheduled. During the first round, you will be given online test which you will be doing with interviewers. If the test is cleared, you will have further rounds.

Interview Question – Make sure you are comfortable with MAC   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Question – Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Senior IOS Developer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – 3 phases:
1 - Phone Interview with concepts, patterns and background. Mostly focused on multithread and blocks
2 - Create a test app at home and send back via email. Project is non-ARC with network, scroll view and text mapping features.
3 - In person interview

Interview Question – Create the app with the minimum description sometimes might lead to confusion.   Answer Question

Manager of Web Development Interview

Manager of Web Development
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at New York Times in March 2013.

Interview Details – A recruitment coordinator contacted me about a week after I applied and arranged a phone call. I was given the name of the person I would be talking to, but not his title or what we would be talking about. It turned out to be a technical screening: I was asked a series of standardized-sounding questions about my knowledge of some web technologies I had listed on my resume. I wish I had been able to prepare better for that.

About a week after that, I contacted the coordinator again to get an update, and was asked to provide my availability for scheduling an on-site interview.

The three onsite interviewers I met with discussed different areas of expertise with me -- technology, business, management experience -- and didn't cover redundant ground. Everybody seemed truly positive and excited about the company and the work environment.

I was surprised when I followed up a week after the interview and found out an offer wasn't going to be extended. I thought the onsite interviews had gone really well; maybe there was an unspoken disconnect between what I offer and what they were looking for.

Interview Question – Talk through this sample of code in an unfamiliar language. Explain what it's doing, and if possible describe a way it could be improved.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – I sent in my application online and got a call to schedule an interview about two weeks later. I first had a phone interview where I was asked some simple questions about my resume. I then was contacted to schedule a technical interview with three managers. I thought it went okay, I spent a long time on a simple coding question, so I assumed I would be rejected. However, I got a call two days later offering me the position.

Interview Question – Describe a data structure for holding a cellphone phone book.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Times in April 2009.

Interview Details – I spoke with an in-house recruiter for an initial phone screen that was not terribly in-depth, then moved on to a tech phone screen with the hiring manager that lasted about half an hour and touched on more detailed tech questions (e.g. http protocol details). That lead to an in-person interview that lasted for about three hours in total. The in-person consisted of several 30-minute long sections talking with different staff members/managers, and touched on both detailed explanations of prior work as well as yet more detailed technical questions. Some live coding was done in a dedicated interview environment, which was a nice difference from the usual entirely whiteboard routine. Most of the questions were not what I would call the "useless brainteaser" variety, but more focused on actual technical details (the standard algorithms and datastructures sort of material that you'd expect, plus an emphasis on things like the inner workings of HTTP and so forth... probably nothing unusual for a web-focused position).

Interview Question – At the time (maybe they still use it), the NYT has their own in-house programming language. This isn't quite as crazy as it sounds, but it was being phased out. Anyway, part of the interview process was to read a snippet of it, having never seen this language before, and make some guesses as to what it was intended to do and what possible errors might arise. The language in question is broadly imperative and nothing particularly syntactically bizarre, so this isn't particularly hard so much as it is a bit out of left field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was fairly straightforward. They couldn't *quite* meet my request for base, but came within a few thousand of doing so and granted me a bit of extra vacation time in exchange.

Graphics Editor Interview

Graphics Editor
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in March 2009.

Interview Details – you talk to editor and those who will be your colleagues. a few top bosses, but just don't do anything stupid. the one you need to impress is the person who contacted you.

Interview Question – no question is difficult. just do your thing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Tampa, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Times in February 2011.

Interview Details – Multiple pre-screening phone interviews followed by on-site interview program.

Interview Question – Hypothetical question regarding managing staff.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in August 2012.

Interview Details – The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig.

After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again.

I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply.

I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Question – I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

Interview Details – The process starts with a number of phone screens. The next step in the process will be to bring you in for an on-site interview. If you get a positive review you will keep interviewing people higher and higher on the management chain. If you make it to the director level, you will likely be getting an offer. If for some reason your interview does not last as long as you were told it would, you will likely not be getting an interview.

Interview Question – SQL questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was called by HR and told what the offer was. There was a bit of selling on their end to convince me to accept the job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Times