New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.8

Director Marketing Planning Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times.

Very thorough process. You got to meet the entire team of players and stakeholders in 1 day in a series of 30-minute interviews. Although you are pretty much wrung out by the end you have a decent flavor of what it will be like to work there and what is expected. Also eliminates the need for multiple interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are all situational. So be prepared to talk about accomplishments and how that relates to what they need.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times in January 2014.

got an email from recruiter, after a couple of emails set up a time for a phone interview with one of the senior members in quality team. The interviewer had a strong accent and sounded like drunk. He was probably not ready for the interview asking same questions and I had to repeat myself again and again. He was probably not wiling to talk also. He didn't introduce himself and didn't give a clue what exactly his team does or anything about the job. He asked ew basic questions on HTML tags, jquery, HTTP protocol like why this tag needed why that protocol needed which are very stupid questions related to SDET role I believe. I already said initially I don't have any SDET experience, still he asked (or gave statement not sure) "So you don't have any SDET experience", same again "So you don't know python/perl".

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember, don't want to remember.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

Applied through the website and HR coordinator (maybe manager) contacted me for a phone Interview. We scheduled one and the interviewer never called on the scheduled time. I emailed back, they said sorry and scheduled another one. The next time they called, with 2 interviewers. Apparently liked me enough to fly me over to do an In-Person interview. I have to admit their HR is very accommodating and let me come in a few days earlier to visit friends.

I had the interview on a monday with 8 people, in 4 sessions (2 per session). The last one was cancelled. Seemed like a successful interview.

When I got home, the next day, I sent in my Thank you letter to the hiring manager and was told that i'd hear from them soon.

Its been over a month since they responded. I sent 2 emails to the HR coordinator and not a single peep. I'm assuming they rejected me so I'm gonna mark this one up as a "no offer"

Interview Questions
    • Asked some industry standard questions. Even asked some personal ones too, but didn't mind, just asking me if I was married or not.   View Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

1) Contacted by email to arrange phone interview.
    2) Phone interview.
    3) Email to arrange in person interviews.
    4) In person interviews with several people - about 30 minutes each.
    5) Two weeks pass.
    6) Email to arrange in round of in person interviews, no information as to who you will be interviewing.
    7) Round of interviews, again about 30 minute apiece.
    8) Two weeks pass.
    9) Emailed to inquire whether position was filled or if still in consideration.
    10) No response for 2 days and then
    11) Heartfelt and personal email thanking candidate but they have reviewed candidate's qualifications against their current staffing needs and based on their review, they cannot offer candidate a position at this time. (the last bit was sarcastic, it was very impersonal and badly worded.)

Interview Questions
    • HR must hire interns or high school students, because the person I dealt with had no email etiquette and was poorly spoken. NOT a good representative of the company.

The interviews themselves were informative and enjoyable, but HR left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

1 Telephonic interview of about 30 min, that touches little bit of everything. Once this is cleared, you will be called for in-person. There are 7 rounds of 30 minutes each scheduled. During the first round, you will be given online test which you will be doing with interviewers. If the test is cleared, you will have further rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you are comfortable with MAC   View Answer

Senior IOS Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Times.

3 phases:
    1 - Phone Interview with concepts, patterns and background. Mostly focused on multithread and blocks
    2 - Create a test app at home and send back via email. Project is non-ARC with network, scroll view and text mapping features.
    3 - In person interview

Interview Questions
    • Create the app with the minimum description sometimes might lead to confusion.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Times.

I sent in my application online and got a call to schedule an interview about two weeks later. I first had a phone interview where I was asked some simple questions about my resume. I then was contacted to schedule a technical interview with three managers. I thought it went okay, I spent a long time on a simple coding question, so I assumed I would be rejected. However, I got a call two days later offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a data structure for holding a cellphone phone book.   Answer Question

Manager of Web Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at New York Times in March 2013.

A recruitment coordinator contacted me about a week after I applied and arranged a phone call. I was given the name of the person I would be talking to, but not his title or what we would be talking about. It turned out to be a technical screening: I was asked a series of standardized-sounding questions about my knowledge of some web technologies I had listed on my resume. I wish I had been able to prepare better for that.

About a week after that, I contacted the coordinator again to get an update, and was asked to provide my availability for scheduling an on-site interview.

The three onsite interviewers I met with discussed different areas of expertise with me -- technology, business, management experience -- and didn't cover redundant ground. Everybody seemed truly positive and excited about the company and the work environment.

I was surprised when I followed up a week after the interview and found out an offer wasn't going to be extended. I thought the onsite interviews had gone really well; maybe there was an unspoken disconnect between what I offer and what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Talk through this sample of code in an unfamiliar language. Explain what it's doing, and if possible describe a way it could be improved.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times in August 2012.

The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig.

After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again.

I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply.

I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   View Answer