New York Times Interview Questions & Reviews

42 interviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in June 2012.

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions
    While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Applied through the website and HR coordinator (maybe manager) contacted me for a phone Interview. We scheduled one and the interviewer never called on the scheduled time. I emailed back, they said sorry and scheduled another one. The next time they called, with 2 interviewers. Apparently liked me enough to fly me over to do an In-Person interview. I have to admit their HR is very accommodating and let me come in a few days earlier to visit friends.

I had the interview on a monday with 8 people, in 4 sessions (2 per session). The last one was cancelled. Seemed like a successful interview.

When I got home, the next day, I sent in my Thank you letter to the hiring manager and was told that i'd hear from them soon.

Its been over a month since they responded. I sent 2 emails to the HR coordinator and not a single peep. I'm assuming they rejected me so I'm gonna mark this one up as a "no offer"

Interview Questions
    • Asked some industry standard questions. Even asked some personal ones too, but didn't mind, just asking me if I was married or not.   View Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in November 2011.

First, met with hiring agent, then, manager of department, who had with her in the interview, a colleague (more like, friend, as it turned out) from an entirely different, unrelated department. Kind of like a security blanket, in retrospect.

Interview Questions
    Since the hiring was through an agent, I was aware from day 1 what the rate was.

Executive Assistant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

1) Contacted by email to arrange phone interview.
    2) Phone interview.
    3) Email to arrange in person interviews.
    4) In person interviews with several people - about 30 minutes each.
    5) Two weeks pass.
    6) Email to arrange in round of in person interviews, no information as to who you will be interviewing.
    7) Round of interviews, again about 30 minute apiece.
    8) Two weeks pass.
    9) Emailed to inquire whether position was filled or if still in consideration.
    10) No response for 2 days and then
    11) Heartfelt and personal email thanking candidate but they have reviewed candidate's qualifications against their current staffing needs and based on their review, they cannot offer candidate a position at this time. (the last bit was sarcastic, it was very impersonal and badly worded.)

Interview Questions
    • HR must hire interns or high school students, because the person I dealt with had no email etiquette and was poorly spoken. NOT a good representative of the company.

The interviews themselves were informative and enjoyable, but HR left a bad taste in my mouth.
        Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

1 Telephonic interview of about 30 min, that touches little bit of everything. Once this is cleared, you will be called for in-person. There are 7 rounds of 30 minutes each scheduled. During the first round, you will be given online test which you will be doing with interviewers. If the test is cleared, you will have further rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you are comfortable with MAC   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Senior IOS Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Times.

3 phases:
    1 - Phone Interview with concepts, patterns and background. Mostly focused on multithread and blocks
    2 - Create a test app at home and send back via email. Project is non-ARC with network, scroll view and text mapping features.
    3 - In person interview

Interview Questions
    • Create the app with the minimum description sometimes might lead to confusion.   Answer Question

Manager of Web Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at New York Times in March 2013.

A recruitment coordinator contacted me about a week after I applied and arranged a phone call. I was given the name of the person I would be talking to, but not his title or what we would be talking about. It turned out to be a technical screening: I was asked a series of standardized-sounding questions about my knowledge of some web technologies I had listed on my resume. I wish I had been able to prepare better for that.

About a week after that, I contacted the coordinator again to get an update, and was asked to provide my availability for scheduling an on-site interview.

The three onsite interviewers I met with discussed different areas of expertise with me -- technology, business, management experience -- and didn't cover redundant ground. Everybody seemed truly positive and excited about the company and the work environment.

I was surprised when I followed up a week after the interview and found out an offer wasn't going to be extended. I thought the onsite interviews had gone really well; maybe there was an unspoken disconnect between what I offer and what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Talk through this sample of code in an unfamiliar language. Explain what it's doing, and if possible describe a way it could be improved.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

I sent in my application online and got a call to schedule an interview about two weeks later. I first had a phone interview where I was asked some simple questions about my resume. I then was contacted to schedule a technical interview with three managers. I thought it went okay, I spent a long time on a simple coding question, so I assumed I would be rejected. However, I got a call two days later offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a data structure for holding a cellphone phone book.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Times in April 2009.

I spoke with an in-house recruiter for an initial phone screen that was not terribly in-depth, then moved on to a tech phone screen with the hiring manager that lasted about half an hour and touched on more detailed tech questions (e.g. http protocol details). That lead to an in-person interview that lasted for about three hours in total. The in-person consisted of several 30-minute long sections talking with different staff members/managers, and touched on both detailed explanations of prior work as well as yet more detailed technical questions. Some live coding was done in a dedicated interview environment, which was a nice difference from the usual entirely whiteboard routine. Most of the questions were not what I would call the "useless brainteaser" variety, but more focused on actual technical details (the standard algorithms and datastructures sort of material that you'd expect, plus an emphasis on things like the inner workings of HTTP and so forth... probably nothing unusual for a web-focused position).

Interview Questions
    • At the time (maybe they still use it), the NYT has their own in-house programming language. This isn't quite as crazy as it sounds, but it was being phased out. Anyway, part of the interview process was to read a snippet of it, having never seen this language before, and make some guesses as to what it was intended to do and what possible errors might arise. The language in question is broadly imperative and nothing particularly syntactically bizarre, so this isn't particularly hard so much as it is a bit out of left field.   Answer Question
    The negotiation was fairly straightforward. They couldn't *quite* meet my request for base, but came within a few thousand of doing so and granted me a bit of extra vacation time in exchange.