New York Times Interview Questions & Reviews in New York City, NY

2.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Ios Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Times.

Had an easy phone interview and then was sent a problem to solve as homework. The problem was not hard - just had to download a json response, parse the response and convert the text. Didn't receive any feedback as to what they were looking for. Simply a rejection. I've been an iOS Engineer for 5 years and was stumped as to what was wrong. Another colleague went through the same process about the same time frame and he has similar iOS development experience with an MS in computer science and he experienced the same thing with his problem. It makes you wonder whether or not they are actually hiring people.

I spent about 8 hours on the problem and so did my friend.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in July 2014.

The recruiter contacted me about a Data Scientist position and submitted my resume. First, I spoke with the hiring manager and then with one of the resident data scientists in two separate calls. I pass the telephone screens and get invited to an onsite interview. I get there, and the first two interviewers (same session) start asking me to type Unix commands. I'm thinking to myself, uh shouldn't I be explaining the details of a random forest to you? Then it hits me.... they are interviewing me for a Data Engineer position. Bait and switch. I then have a series of five interviews, all very easy questions about linked lists, depth-first searches, and some Python code to debug (Hint: it's a deep copy). Two of the interviewers were non-technical managers who couldn't hack it in Silicon Valley, so they returned to the NYT nest. For the duration of the afternoon, I was thinking to myself, man these people are jaded but certainly have no reason to be. The exception was a brilliant engineer from the Caribbean, and I was thinking okay, this is cool. His manager was present during this interview, and clearly he did not like the way we were bonding during a coding exercise on the whiteboard. As other interviewers pointed out, it's about liking you, and if one of them does not, then you're hit. As far as technical expertise, keep it in your head.

Freelance Graphic/Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Times.

I was referred by a mutual friend. I interviewed in person at their about.com headquarters in the conference room. After a brief review of my portfolio, the rest of the interview revolved around getting acquainted with each other, followed by a tour of the workplace.

Interview Questions
    Let them make the first offer.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Times in May 2014.

The phone screen was a breeze and the code test wasn't that hard, but they never followed up with me. I never found out if my code was bad, or if they just moved on to another candidate. I still wish they offered the feedback, is it really that much to offer?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in June 2012.

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions
    While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times.

Applied through the website and HR coordinator (maybe manager) contacted me for a phone Interview. We scheduled one and the interviewer never called on the scheduled time. I emailed back, they said sorry and scheduled another one. The next time they called, with 2 interviewers. Apparently liked me enough to fly me over to do an In-Person interview. I have to admit their HR is very accommodating and let me come in a few days earlier to visit friends.

I had the interview on a monday with 8 people, in 4 sessions (2 per session). The last one was cancelled. Seemed like a successful interview.

When I got home, the next day, I sent in my Thank you letter to the hiring manager and was told that i'd hear from them soon.

Its been over a month since they responded. I sent 2 emails to the HR coordinator and not a single peep. I'm assuming they rejected me so I'm gonna mark this one up as a "no offer"

Interview Questions
    • Asked some industry standard questions. Even asked some personal ones too, but didn't mind, just asking me if I was married or not.   View Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in November 2011.

First, met with hiring agent, then, manager of department, who had with her in the interview, a colleague (more like, friend, as it turned out) from an entirely different, unrelated department. Kind of like a security blanket, in retrospect.

Interview Questions
    Since the hiring was through an agent, I was aware from day 1 what the rate was.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

1 Telephonic interview of about 30 min, that touches little bit of everything. Once this is cleared, you will be called for in-person. There are 7 rounds of 30 minutes each scheduled. During the first round, you will be given online test which you will be doing with interviewers. If the test is cleared, you will have further rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you are comfortable with MAC   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Times in July 2013.

I had a phone interview with HR person at New York Times for a position of a Project Manager. The HR guy interviewing me paid very little attention to our conversation from the first second. It felt like he was busy doing something else while listening to me at the same time. We had quite a few pauses when he didn’t even realize that I've stopped answering his question. He could not elaborate too much on the position requirements and blabbered something from the script he had. There was more info online, that I got from him. That was a very disrespectful interview, but oh well. I guess that's people that New York Times hire. So I wouldn’t want to be a part of a team like this for sure. Don’t want to mention his name, but check out his Linkedin profile - he was a politician in the White House in the past. I wonder if he left his people skills there too.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. He had no details about the position he was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Manager of Web Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at New York Times in March 2013.

A recruitment coordinator contacted me about a week after I applied and arranged a phone call. I was given the name of the person I would be talking to, but not his title or what we would be talking about. It turned out to be a technical screening: I was asked a series of standardized-sounding questions about my knowledge of some web technologies I had listed on my resume. I wish I had been able to prepare better for that.

About a week after that, I contacted the coordinator again to get an update, and was asked to provide my availability for scheduling an on-site interview.

The three onsite interviewers I met with discussed different areas of expertise with me -- technology, business, management experience -- and didn't cover redundant ground. Everybody seemed truly positive and excited about the company and the work environment.

I was surprised when I followed up a week after the interview and found out an offer wasn't going to be extended. I thought the onsite interviews had gone really well; maybe there was an unspoken disconnect between what I offer and what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Talk through this sample of code in an unfamiliar language. Explain what it's doing, and if possible describe a way it could be improved.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!