New York Times Interview Questions in New York City, NY

2.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times in June 2012.

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions
    While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Times in March 2012.

HR took forever. Interview was with three different people for half an hour each (very precisely, actually). First got a sense of interests and personality, second moved on to questions pertaining to NYTimes web services, third put algorithms question on the board to do. They definitely asked a good deal of questions that they didn't expect a good answer to, but simply to see how one would field the question. (Difficult considering that the questions weren't unreasonsable, just unexpected - and they seemed to know it when they asked.)

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times in February 2012.

I applied online and got phone call from a recruiter in the company's HR department. Questions were current situation, a cursory review of my background, and how much I was expecting to make. From there a phone interview was scheduled with the department manager. That took about 40 minutes. I was then invited to interview in person.

The in-person interview consisted of several people whom I would be working with and a skills test taken on a computer. The interview lasted about 3 1/2 hours total. The people I met with varied. Most were polite and nice, some were very stiff and formal. Also, some were soft-spoken and had thick accents, making them hard to understand. However, overall it was a very positive experience.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

The process starts with a number of phone screens. The next step in the process will be to bring you in for an on-site interview. If you get a positive review you will keep interviewing people higher and higher on the management chain. If you make it to the director level, you will likely be getting an offer. If for some reason your interview does not last as long as you were told it would, you will likely not be getting an interview.

Interview Questions
    I was called by HR and told what the offer was. There was a bit of selling on their end to convince me to accept the job.

Assistant Editor - Video Content Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

Starts with a fairly informal interview over the phone. The in-person interview has you meeting most of the department in small groups. No hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a brand or company with an online presence you admire.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times in November 2011.

First, met with hiring agent, then, manager of department, who had with her in the interview, a colleague (more like, friend, as it turned out) from an entirely different, unrelated department. Kind of like a security blanket, in retrospect.

Interview Questions
    Since the hiring was through an agent, I was aware from day 1 what the rate was.

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Times in July 2011.

It started with a phone interview that was supposed to be 30 minutes but lasted an hour and a half. Then 5 face to face interviews over the next 4 weeks withdifferent people in each interview. Most were face to face, some with multiple people. Questions were mostly about my backround and how it would help me in the position. Personalitys ran the gamut from very laid back and casual to very strict and old school.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a good fit for this position, what do you bring to the table.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in your work experience you faced a challenge and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    Was able to negogiate. Dont take the first offer

Sales- Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Times in June 2011.

Very organized interview process.
    Very friendly.
    Will question you about everything you put on your resume.

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Times in June 2010.

Well the recruiter will give you a call and have a phone interview. Then you'll come in and interview with the recruiter. From there if the managers you'd be working under are available, you'd interview with them. Unfortunately none were available after my interview with the recruiter, so I had to come back maybe two days later to interview with the managers and director of my department.

I interviewed with three managers and the director, all separately. It was a back to back sort of situation. A little intimidating, but only three out of the four were difficult to get a good vibe from. After the interviews, I made sure to send thank you emails as the recruiter was helpful in pointing out how highly the managers and director view them. It took about a week to hear from the recruiter and I was offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time were you had difficulty selling to a customer -or something of that nature   Answer Question
    There wasn't much room for negotiating since I was offered a temporary contract instead of the salary position I thought was available.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Times in October 2009.

Found communication from the company to be prompt and efficient. I was contacted one week after applying and offered an interview. Interviewed by IT manager and HR deputy director. Asked pointed questions about my experience, and holes in my education. I was also asked to discuss future developments in the industry and indeed asked if I though the newspaper would exist 5 years from now.

Salary was too low.