New York Times Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 30, 2014

2.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Times in April 2009.

I spoke with an in-house recruiter for an initial phone screen that was not terribly in-depth, then moved on to a tech phone screen with the hiring manager that lasted about half an hour and touched on more detailed tech questions (e.g. http protocol details). That lead to an in-person interview that lasted for about three hours in total. The in-person consisted of several 30-minute long sections talking with different staff members/managers, and touched on both detailed explanations of prior work as well as yet more detailed technical questions. Some live coding was done in a dedicated interview environment, which was a nice difference from the usual entirely whiteboard routine. Most of the questions were not what I would call the "useless brainteaser" variety, but more focused on actual technical details (the standard algorithms and datastructures sort of material that you'd expect, plus an emphasis on things like the inner workings of HTTP and so forth... probably nothing unusual for a web-focused position).

Interview Questions
    • At the time (maybe they still use it), the NYT has their own in-house programming language. This isn't quite as crazy as it sounds, but it was being phased out. Anyway, part of the interview process was to read a snippet of it, having never seen this language before, and make some guesses as to what it was intended to do and what possible errors might arise. The language in question is broadly imperative and nothing particularly syntactically bizarre, so this isn't particularly hard so much as it is a bit out of left field.   Answer Question
    The negotiation was fairly straightforward. They couldn't *quite* meet my request for base, but came within a few thousand of doing so and granted me a bit of extra vacation time in exchange.

Graphics Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in March 2009.

you talk to editor and those who will be your colleagues. a few top bosses, but just don't do anything stupid. the one you need to impress is the person who contacted you.

Interview Questions
    not much room for negotiation.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in August 2012.

The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig.

After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again.

I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply.

I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

The process starts with a number of phone screens. The next step in the process will be to bring you in for an on-site interview. If you get a positive review you will keep interviewing people higher and higher on the management chain. If you make it to the director level, you will likely be getting an offer. If for some reason your interview does not last as long as you were told it would, you will likely not be getting an interview.

Interview Questions
    I was called by HR and told what the offer was. There was a bit of selling on their end to convince me to accept the job.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times.

It was pretty customary, met the first manager and then kept meeting more of them until i got to the division director - as long as they like you they pass you along to the next person to interview at so they can all get an idea of who you are.
    Really nice ppl and process

Interview Questions
    • "what would you say to a client that...." they put me on the spot and you never really know how they would like you to answer.. best advise - answer for real.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in February 2008.

Code test on a computer is most special about the interview.

Throught recruiter.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Times in March 2012.

HR took forever. Interview was with three different people for half an hour each (very precisely, actually). First got a sense of interests and personality, second moved on to questions pertaining to NYTimes web services, third put algorithms question on the board to do. They definitely asked a good deal of questions that they didn't expect a good answer to, but simply to see how one would field the question. (Difficult considering that the questions weren't unreasonsable, just unexpected - and they seemed to know it when they asked.)

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in February 2012.

I applied online and got phone call from a recruiter in the company's HR department. Questions were current situation, a cursory review of my background, and how much I was expecting to make. From there a phone interview was scheduled with the department manager. That took about 40 minutes. I was then invited to interview in person.

The in-person interview consisted of several people whom I would be working with and a skills test taken on a computer. The interview lasted about 3 1/2 hours total. The people I met with varied. Most were polite and nice, some were very stiff and formal. Also, some were soft-spoken and had thick accents, making them hard to understand. However, overall it was a very positive experience.

Assistant Editor - Video Content Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

Starts with a fairly informal interview over the phone. The in-person interview has you meeting most of the department in small groups. No hard questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a brand or company with an online presence you admire.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in July 2011.

It started with a phone interview that was supposed to be 30 minutes but lasted an hour and a half. Then 5 face to face interviews over the next 4 weeks withdifferent people in each interview. Most were face to face, some with multiple people. Questions were mostly about my backround and how it would help me in the position. Personalitys ran the gamut from very laid back and casual to very strict and old school.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a good fit for this position, what do you bring to the table.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in your work experience you faced a challenge and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    Was able to negogiate. Dont take the first offer