New York Times

Relevance Date Difficulty

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in August 2012.

Interview Details – The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig.

After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again.

I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply.

I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Question – I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

Interview Details – The process starts with a number of phone screens. The next step in the process will be to bring you in for an on-site interview. If you get a positive review you will keep interviewing people higher and higher on the management chain. If you make it to the director level, you will likely be getting an offer. If for some reason your interview does not last as long as you were told it would, you will likely not be getting an interview.

Interview Question – SQL questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was called by HR and told what the offer was. There was a bit of selling on their end to convince me to accept the job.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times.

Interview Details – It was pretty customary, met the first manager and then kept meeting more of them until i got to the division director - as long as they like you they pass you along to the next person to interview at so they can all get an idea of who you are.
Really nice ppl and process

Interview Question – "what would you say to a client that...." they put me on the spot and you never really know how they would like you to answer.. best advise - answer for real.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Times in February 2008.

Interview Details – Code test on a computer is most special about the interview.

Interview Question – Technology Used   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Throught recruiter.

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Times in March 2012.

Interview Details – HR took forever. Interview was with three different people for half an hour each (very precisely, actually). First got a sense of interests and personality, second moved on to questions pertaining to NYTimes web services, third put algorithms question on the board to do. They definitely asked a good deal of questions that they didn't expect a good answer to, but simply to see how one would field the question. (Difficult considering that the questions weren't unreasonsable, just unexpected - and they seemed to know it when they asked.)

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got phone call from a recruiter in the company's HR department. Questions were current situation, a cursory review of my background, and how much I was expecting to make. From there a phone interview was scheduled with the department manager. That took about 40 minutes. I was then invited to interview in person.

The in-person interview consisted of several people whom I would be working with and a skills test taken on a computer. The interview lasted about 3 1/2 hours total. The people I met with varied. Most were polite and nice, some were very stiff and formal. Also, some were soft-spoken and had thick accents, making them hard to understand. However, overall it was a very positive experience.

Assistant Editor - Video Content Interview

Assistant Editor - Video Content
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Times in January 2012.

Interview Details – Starts with a fairly informal interview over the phone. The in-person interview has you meeting most of the department in small groups. No hard questions.

Interview Question – Name a brand or company with an online presence you admire.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Senior Systems Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in July 2011.

Interview Details – It started with a phone interview that was supposed to be 30 minutes but lasted an hour and a half. Then 5 face to face interviews over the next 4 weeks withdifferent people in each interview. Most were face to face, some with multiple people. Questions were mostly about my backround and how it would help me in the position. Personalitys ran the gamut from very laid back and casual to very strict and old school.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for this position, what do you bring to the table.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time in your work experience you faced a challenge and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was able to negogiate. Dont take the first offer

Sales- Advertising Interview

Sales- Advertising
New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Times in June 2011.

Interview Details – Very organized interview process.
Very friendly.
Will question you about everything you put on your resume.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes.

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Advertising Sales Representative
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Times in June 2010.

Interview Details – Well the recruiter will give you a call and have a phone interview. Then you'll come in and interview with the recruiter. From there if the managers you'd be working under are available, you'd interview with them. Unfortunately none were available after my interview with the recruiter, so I had to come back maybe two days later to interview with the managers and director of my department.

I interviewed with three managers and the director, all separately. It was a back to back sort of situation. A little intimidating, but only three out of the four were difficult to get a good vibe from. After the interviews, I made sure to send thank you emails as the recruiter was helpful in pointing out how highly the managers and director view them. It took about a week to hear from the recruiter and I was offered a position.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time were you had difficulty selling to a customer -or something of that nature   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much room for negotiating since I was offered a temporary contract instead of the salary position I thought was available.