New York Times Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Times?   2 Answers

Negotiation

While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.