New York Times

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Times in June 2012.

Interview Details – Initial contact was a cold email from the Times' HR Department. After a phone screen with the tech lead on the Mobile Web team, I was invited a couple days later to interview in NYC. I was in DC at the time, and never was reimbursed for the travel costs. The in-person interview was a series of 5 people - a tech lead, asking to refactor some code that was written in an in-house language, an interview with a software engineer, talking about technology and development in general, an interview with a fantastic dev that turned into him convincing me to come to the Times, an interview with the project lead, and an interview with the project director. I was given an offer Friday that week, and given until Monday to accept. I accepted on that Monday.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at the Times?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – While negotiation was not offered, putting an aggressively high Expected Salary seemed to anchor the offer at higher than I would have gotten with a straight raise + cola.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Times

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Times Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Times employees and interview candidates.