New York Times Web Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Great interview Process. They rescinded their offer after making me go through background checks and drug screenings! Reason for revocation was because they thought I hesitated when they wanted to talk to my current employer. I just wanted to end on good terms with my current employer. I thought the revocation of the offer was unfair and will probably not recommend NYT.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Times

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

The team members I spoke with seemed reasonable, if poorly coordinated, but the HR department was especially rude. I was disappointed with the lack of agreement on which technologies they planned to use. I was excited to work in an environment where Node might be leveraged heavily, but upon arrival I was told this was not likely; I'm not sure I'd have made the trip for a PHP gig. After sitting though a grueling 4hr interview, where I was asked the same questions repeatedly and left sitting alone for up to 20min at a time, the HR department never contacted me again. I've assumed they were uninterested, which not at issue, however, I attempted to contact them twice for information on my status with no reply. I got the strong impression they don't understand how to hire technical people and/or don't realize fundamentals, like the fact that I will not be pointing colleagues at NYT due to their poor treatment of me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to edit very low quality JavaScript. I think I lost points for not catching "errors", but the interviewer hadn't given me any requirements, even when I prompted for them. I had no way of knowing what was expected from the spaghetti code :-\   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Started with a call from a 3rd party recruiter, followed up with a brief technical phone interview, then was invited for an on-site interview. None of the technical interviews were particularly challenging, however the routing process was fairly poor. I ended up interviewing for a team I didn't apply for and didn't really seem all that interesting for someone with my background. The people were all pleasant however.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions involved debugging code and factoid type questions about programming languages.   Answer Question