New York & Company

Average Difficulty
64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Easy! Fill out application, turn it in. I had one interview, it was fairly short and went really well. However, if you apply now you will probably have 2 interviews.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for New York & Company?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview Details – Initial interview is usually with a tenured store manager or assistant manager. Second interview will be with the district manager or her right hand woman. Then with your store manager.

Interview Question – Pretty normal interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview Details – I applied in store and was invited to come in for a group interview. I was hired on the spot, along with the three other people I was interviewing with. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and it was more of a conversation between all of us rather than an actual interview.

Interview Question – None. Typical retail questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Pay was minimum wage.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at New York & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – NY&Co. came to my college's Career Fair in which I introduced myself to one of their employees. I was honest about not having retail experience but she must have seen my desire to work at NY&Co. So she asked me to fill out an application and come back to her. Once I filled out the application she introduced me to another employee. The second woman glanced at my resume (full of volunteer leadership experience) and asked me what I could bring to NY&Co. I replied, "you can teach me the skills needed to perform a task but you can't teach others my desire to work and passion for people". We shook hands and I went home. An hour and a half later, I received a call from NY&Co. offering me a permanent part time position as a Sales Associate starting $9/hr. I accepted.

Interview Question – What could I bring to NY&Co?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate. I asked for $11 on the application and was offered $9. I was told that is the starting rate for all sale associates.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview Details – Put in an application, had an interview a few days later. Offered job on the spot. Not difficult at all.

Interview Question – Talk about a time you saw a coworker do something dishonest. They also asked about my experiences as a shopper in the store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basic offer. No negotiating.

Waterford, CT

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York & Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was called back for an in person interview a couple days after I handed in my application. The manager had asked me a few questions about my background and told me a little about the company itself.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Garland, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York & Company in July 2013.

Interview Details – Walked into the store, asked if they were hiring, the assistant manager gave me an application, I filled it out on the spot, turned it in and then left. When I got home like an hour later they called and asked if I could do an interview with them. I had the interview with the same assistant manager, she was very nice, she looked like she didn't expect much, she was reading questions off a piece of paper, the questions were very easy. After that she said she would call to tell me when I can come for orientation. She called the next day told me to come for orientation the following week. Orientation was 2 hrs long, with two other girls, very boring, they showed us the store and we watched two videos about NY&Co. Then they gave us a quiz of 15 Qs about the video, I think I only knew about one, it was impossible memorizing everything. But they didn't check the quiz right then. We filled out the usual paperwork forms and then we got to go home. They said to call the following week on monday so they can tell me my work schedule for NEXT week. So I was hired.

VERY IMPORTANT: They only give you 2 DAYS a week, 4-5 hours a day, you will only get more hours if you sell their credit cards. As you can see it is a low income job and it is not stable.
Also, you have an on-call shift you have to call 2 hrs before your shift to ask if they are gonna need you or not, if they say no then you don't work. They did that to me yesterday, it was supposed to be my first day, and when I called they said they didn't need me to come in. I have another "on-call shift" this saturday though hopefully I will get to go in. If not then I'll start work next week.

Dress code: You can only wear black or white pants (that look like the ones they sell) with a black or white/off white top and something black over it, you cannot wear color unless you buy it from the store that is recent, and MUST wear jewelry.

Interview Question – Some of the questions asked: what were my duties at my last job, why do I want to work for the company, and how do I handle stress.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but the assistant manager said they only offer $7.85 per hour, which is ok.

Store Sales Manager Interview

Store Sales Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York & Company in January 2010.

Interview Details – You interview with the District Manager which is a very casual conversation then with the Regional Manager. The RM asks a lot of behavioral questions and STAR questions.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. The DM will try to give you a heads up. They did ask about my family life to see how it would interfere with my position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The DM knows the range and will tell you that she will try to get the highest amount. It is based on location. There really is no negotiation.

Seal Beach, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at New York & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – The store manager interviews you. If she sees that you have potential, she will give you a shot. These interview questions are the basics, nothing too difficult. They do ask you if you mind asking customers for credit and they also ask why you would want to work for this company.

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York & Company.

Interview Details – First I went in and asked for an application. One of the managers was there and liked that I had a resume with me, as well as my cheerful talkative demeanor. She said to come back the following day for an interview with the hiring manager. I came early which earned me points and I struck up a conversation with a sales associate. She asked me general questions about customer service, and availability. Like why do you want to work here? Tell me a time when you had to overcome an obstacle. What would your previous customers say about you? Tell me about yourself. The interview took about 15 minutes. It ended and I was offered a job. The advice I would give to a job applicant is be friendly, confident, have a resume, get to know some of the sales associates when you drop off an application. For the interview process you should dress in the style of the store, talk your job skills up. I didn't really have more than a few months of retail experience but that didn't matter. That's what I liked about the company is they are willing to train you in other areas than what you applied for. They don't require you to have 2 years of retail experience , you just have to be a good fit. Just show how excited your are at the prospect of the job. That you are there to learn, and are willing to do other positions. This is a great job for those wanting to learn about the clothing retail world.

Interview Question – No particularly hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – What I was offered was above minimum wage. The hiring manager gave me a fair wage for the experience I had.