NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.9

Patient Care Support Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Interview

The interviewers and HR department were very professional. After your first interview, you will have to return to the campus several times for follow up documentation, blood work, PPD, background screening and blood work. I met with HR, followed by my future department. It's a very large campus that takes up more than an entire city block. I would suggest getting their early. You will get lost for the interview, and the first two months you work at the hospital. The experience was about as pleasant as it could be. I found everyone to be pleasant, enthusiastic and understanding. The organization places a lot of emphasis on patient safety and satisfaction. Some positions are 1199 eligible, and others are not. This can be a little confusing as it pertains to benefits and health insurance. Ultimately, I found the experience to be positive. The interviewers treated me very professionally, and were honest about the position and everything one could expect.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not clinical. They were general job interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate for this position.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

New graduate event; was chosen to interview with two patient care directors. The interviews lasted 20 min each and felt rushed as we were in a room with other students who were also interviewing with other patient care directors.

Nutrition Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Interview

First you have to fill out an online application which is fairly time consuming so give yourself time to get it done (30 mins). After which you will be asked to do a basic math and English online test. Secondly, if your application is selected you will receive a call where they will do a telephone interview basically asking why you would want to work at the hospital you selected if they like your response they will schedule a face to face interview. Thirdly, you will be interviewed by three different managers so brace yourself for that. Lastly, just be yourself and always keep a smile!!!

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY).

Interview

Straightforward. Met with the department manager and director, then with the HR representative. My director and manager had to prod HR quite a bit to get them to process my paperwork.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel working in a ethnically and religiously diverse environment?   1 Answer

Clinical Nutritionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was quite long. From the time I applied online until I got an actual interview was about 2.5 months. I first applied through Indeed.com, then received email notification to take a career battery test for clinical professionals. I assumed I passed because a week or so later I got an email from HR for a phone screen. I didn't hear back so I applied for another opening at another location. Same HR recruiter contacted me and asked me which job I preferred. Slightly puzzled, I said I thought I was not being considered or the position was already filled. When she realized no one contacted me about the previous job she apologized and she must have contacted someone about it because the next day I got a call from another HR recruiter about a phone interview. The phone interview was about thirty minutes long. Then the HR recruiter was supposed to contact me in a week but she didn't. I had to email her to get her to move things along. Finally 2 more days later the clinical nutrition supervisor contacted me about a phone screen. After that, a couple days later she emailed me and said her and the hiring team are interested to bring me in for an interview. The actual interview took only about thirty minutes. There were about 5 dietitians in this HR hiring team. They asked questions based off of my resume and did not seem to have prepared a set of questions to ask me. Most questions were related to my daily responsibilities. They asked whether I am familiar with tube feedings and TPN. Also asked to see a portfolio. Truthfully I thought they did not seem as interested as I thought they would be. I did not think it was hard; you just have to be prepared to discuss your work experience in details. Then a week later the clinical supervisor contacted me to say they decided to not go further with the process because they want a candidate with experience, flexibility and who demonstrates leadership characteristics. Also someone who is proactive. I was fairly disappointed. The listed posting asked for 6 months of experience. I have close to 2 years of work experience and a Master's Degree. Also mentioned I should go for more certifications but I felt that was not fair because I have only became an RD for only 2 years and just recently finished my Master's. I wish they were more specific with what qualifications they are looking for on their job postings. HR also needed a push here and there to get things move along but I guess this is how HR processes are with big hospitals.

Interview Questions

• HR phone interview: Describe a situation where you went out of your way to help a patient. In-person interview: Why are you interested in applying to our hospital? Tell us more about your job duties. What type of projects do you do at your hospital? Are you trained in physical assessment in identifying patients with malnutrition? Are you familiar with tube feedings and TPN? Do you have a portfolio?   Answer Question

Patient Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

it was on phone, not more than 7-10 min. With HR Representative she ask me to be sure that i applied for this position. She is reviewing my resume and more information regarding my experience.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Application process took a very long time. They seem to be incredibly backed up as I applied months before I got my interview, and had to keep calling to ask them to check on my application status. After speaking to different people who promised they'd get back to me, I finally got through and was scheduled for an interview. It ended up being a group interview because they had a large volume of applications and it wasn't feasible to do their regular one-on-one. We were asked to partner up, ask each other questions, then tell the group/hiring manager about our partner, and he asks your partner to elaborate more on their answers.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (Newark, NJ) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was scheduled by phone at a time that was convenient for them. The interviewers (there were two) spent the first part of the interview picking at my resume. I took that in stride, because I saw it as free-of-charge feedback, and who doesn't want that? They spent the rest of it asking questions with a tone that suggested that I really should beg for inclusion at this "number one" institution (they made sure to throw that in a few times, too). I am entry-level for the job I interviewed for, but I am NOT entry level professionally. I expected to have to explain my transition, but....goodness. I'm sorry I felt the need to go in a different direction people! I asked questions at the end about the interviewers (because I had looked them up prior) to see how they got where they had gotten and where they saw the position and the specific field going. I was not impressed with their answers. They stated that the next step would be to come in person, but they didn't say whether it would be a one on one plan, or a panel. I didn't ask. I got off the phone with mixed feelings and a feeling this wasn't going to work out, though I was still a little optimistic. To be honest, I felt a little disrespected and picked apart. To add insult to injury, it took them ONE MONTH to publicly state (because I am sure they decided quickly) that I didn't get the job, and then they didn't even have the courtesy to send a direct "thanks but no thanks" email (and yes, I think those are good, because SOMEONE sent that). Rather, I had to make it a point to login to my account and see what the updated status was -- THAT is how I confirmed I was out (I mentioned the one month, correct?). I had applied for a different position way after interviewing for this one -- I applied for this new one in April -- and miraculously, they knew just a few days afterwards that they didn't want me for that either. That's fine. I don't expect to get every job I apply for. I just expected far more...everything from NYP. No. I'm not at all impressed with this "number one" hospital, and how I was treated. I think I'll go be "number one" elsewhere.

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Interview

applied online, recruiter interview was mostly situational on how you would handle a given situaton. mostly behavioral questions. practice before going to the interview and always wear a smile. always have the right attitude.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

HR interview followed by 3 interviews with Directors and Managers from NYP. The HR interview was very straight forward basic qualification and experience related questions. The other interviews were specific to my background, experience and accomplishments. The hiring manager was interested to know specific experience related to health care clinical systems related projects.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about project management background and specific project related questions   Answer Question

accepted another offer.