Newegg

Updated Oct 2, 2014
Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.5

Merchandiser/Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Newegg in May 2013.

Got a call and email from HR to confirm the interview. Based on the email, the interview will last 5 hours and interviewers are 5 people from different functions. Went to the interview, talked to HR first, whose English is barely understandable. HR went out, 4 people interviewed me, every one of them warned me it is a fast paced working environment and very challenging business model. Then I waited for 30 mins for the last people to interview me, HR finally remembered, came in, apologized, said the person is having meetings and I need to come over the next day. The next day, interviewed with 3 people, answered some random questions and looks like pretty much all the employees are Chinese.

The interview process is very unprofessional, it is the most unprofessional interview experience I've had in my career life.

And the end, they didn't offer me and they couldn't tell me the reason, and they verbally confirmed they want someone who is committed........

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Feels like none of the interviewers know they are going to interview you, when they walk in the meeting room and look at you, they then look at the resume for the first time.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Newegg in April 2013.

After 3-4 days I submitted my resume to Newegg, the HR called me up and arrange the interview. The interview took about 2h. I met with director or manger of different purchasing department. They all asked about same questions: such as 1.Why do you leave your current employer. 2. what is the most challenging in your career etc

Interview Questions

the salary does not meet my inquiry

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Newegg in March 2013.

Got a call an hour after I submitted application. Called me and set up an interview for 2 days from then.
    Interview was 2 people at one time, each person taking turns asking a question. Used my name a lot, which I liked.

If you get chosen to move up in the hiring process, you are to take a 4 part test. Testing your listening skills, etiquette, spelling and grammar, and a sample email.
    I found it difficult simply because I tend to get SUPER nervous and don't do well on tests when nervous.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel going from a supervisor position, telling people what to do, to a non supervisor position being told what to do.   Answer Question
    • In a 5 month period, how many days do you feel it is appropriate to miss work due to illness, emergency, or the occasional personal day.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had differences with a boss. What did you do to overcome it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Was told "The pay is 11/hr. There is no negotiation for this"

Purchasing Administrator Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Newegg in March 2013.

-Online profile creation and submission.
    -Online Resume submission.
    -Brief phone interview with recruiter.
    -In-House interview scheduling.
    -In-house interview: 1:1 or 2:1 - between 5 to 6 interviewers
    -Counteroffer may take place
    -More counteroffer may take place.
    -Orientation and First Day

Interview Questions
    In-house recruiter sends out offer letter, then countered, re-countered, and accepted.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Newegg in November 2012.

It took me 5 hours (2 - 7pm) with different 10 peoples. It is terrible exp. Few of them are professional. Most of them will ask you same question like any other places. Their HR dept. is really disappointed. I even heard they report to company owner (Fred) that they only confirm 3 people of 60+ peoples interview in past 3 months. What a joke! He even said they keep rest as backup choice and won't give feedback. I am really glad they didn't give me offer.
    One more funniest thing is the last HR person even said he had to finish all paperwork of my interview when the time is over 7:00pm. Otherwise, I had to go back in next day. He was doing me a favor. haha!!

Senior Management Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Newegg in August 2012.

Initial call from hr lasted 45 minutes and contained no info about the job. The position would have required a relocation, so the bulk of the initial call was recruiter trying to pitch me on southern Cal living. I hate it when the first question for me is salary, but in the case of this interview, it looked like the question would save everyone from wasting each others' time. I provided my salary requirements for such a move, and was informed that I was just outside the upper end of the range for the job. I was encouraged to lower my requirements. I thanked the recruiter for his time and wished him luck in his search. 2 weeks later, I get another call from them again focusing on salary and how I should temper my expectations. All questions about the job were deferred, but the recruiter kept coming back to the phrase "we want to reward your talent, let me see what I can do". At this point, I'm pretty uninterested in the role since I don't know what it is exactly, and the CA cost of living is prohibitive for the range they were trying to push me to. I didn't hear from them again for a month and figured that they had moved on. This time, they wanted me to meet with the hiring manager. I said yes, I was interested in finding out about the role, but I wanted to be respectful of everyone's time and not go through the motions if the role isn't going to pay what I would require. I was assured that the C levels of the company wanted to meet with me and if I was the right fit, they'd make the salary fit. I spent 2 weeks trying to schedule the interview with the recruiter, who insisted on communicating via SMS. Finally the phone interview was scheduled with what was supposed to be a panel of managers. When I was called (at a different number than I had requested), it was a different recruiter with no explanation as to why the interview had changed. I decided at that point that I was not interested in continuing the process as this company had been very unprofessional and was wasting my time. The final call was almost 2 hours, where I was asked to walk through my résumé and then finally was given a description of the job. I didn't feel the job was the best fit of my abilities and the recruiter asked if the hiring manager could speak to me because he wasn't properly representing the role. I said if the manager wanted to call me directly, I'd take the call. Never heard from them again. Not a single question was asked beyond the standard job history questions were asked.The level of professionalism of this company for such a senior role was surprising.

Interview Questions
    • Not a single question asked after several hours spent on "phone interviews"   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Newegg in May 2012.

I originally applied for a position that had just been filled. The recruiter liked my resume so kept it and said he'd contact me if there was something he'd think i'd be good for. After weeks of calling back and forth we kind of lost contact. Then 2-3 weeks later the recruiter contacted me about a new position he felt i'd be good for because of my background. I told him i was interested and he submitted my resume and got me an interview a couple days later.

They were willing to work around my schedule a little because i was currently working for another company. I was interviewed by the category manager and a director one right after the other. The questions were standard at first, "why do you want to work here" "why should we hire you," Then started to get into specifics. "if you worked here in this category, which vendor would you target?" I answered all the questions as best as i could and they were impressed. A week later i got called for a 2nd interview with another director. He would make the final decision. He asked similar question and threw in some senario questions, what would you do if... kind of questions. I sounded confident in all my responses, made sure i didn't stutter, and took a second to gather myself before just talking out of my ass. My recruiter called me 30 mins after the interview and said i got a verbal offer.

Background check took 3-4 days and then got my written offer and accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • What sets you apart form other candidates?   View Answer
    There really wasn't a negotiation phase. My recruiter told me to just say i was open, and he would try to get me what i wanted. But the interviewer wanted me to give him a number. So instead of saying one number i gave him a range and gauged his reaction. He reacted like it was a reasonable range. \

During the 2nd interview i was asked what i was looking to make again and i gave him the higher number in he range i gave in the 1st interview. He nodded like it was reasonable.

I then got a called 30 mins after the 2nd interview and was offered more than i originally asked for.

I would give a range between 3-4k and see how they react

HRIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Newegg in February 2012.

Recruiter called me, Met with around 4 people in a 2 hour interview. Sometimes there was more than one person interviewing. Got called back for round 2, met with an attorney and boss lady. Attorney hit me hard with questions I had asked in round 1 with hiring manager and was told not relevant to this position. So that was cornfusing?

There is a huge sign in the lobby (almost bigger than company logo) - we will drug screen anyone at anytime which seemed off putting.

Interview Questions
    • Asked the standard questions, What's an accomplishment, tell me something negative about yourself, tell me how you achieved a goal, why do you want to work here? (a lot of folks asked that one), what motivates you.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Newegg in May 2011.

2 phone interviews and 4 people interviews
    Took a long time to interview because they had to schedule with many peoples.

They negotiate hard.

Why Are You Leaving Your Current Employer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Newegg in July 2009.

The hiring process is not really professional but really fast