Newfield Exploration

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Newfield Exploration.

Interacted through email. The people I interviewed with were great people that really tried to calm me down during the interview. The questions were difficult, but they accepted all of my answers very politely even if I didn't give the answer they were really searching for. They are definitely looking for a person that is the right fit for the company, so answer all questions honestly, and if they feel you are a good fit for the position they will offer you a job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to convince to believe in something that they originally did not.   View Answer

Entry Level Petroleum Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Newfield Exploration in September 2014.

Applied for the position through the career fair at my university. Two weeks later I received an email prompting me to schedule an on campus interview with them. The interview was an hour long and was comprised of two Newfield representatives and myself. One of the Newfield interviewers was a younger reservoir engineer who graduated from the university I attend. The other was a woman from the corporate headquarters who was in the HR department. Both were very friendly, personable interviewers and made it easy to feel comfortable and confident. The questions asked during the interview were predominately based off of my past internships from my resume, which they both had in front of them. There were no nonsensical behavioral questions and the interview went smoothly. Unfortunately, I did not get the job, but none the less, it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for specific details and duties of the my previous internships. Just have thorough knowledge of what you have done in the past.   Answer Question

Drilling Engineer Interview

It is a standard interview process. I found out about it through a career fair my school had. I got the interview after a review of my application. The interview was general behavior questions as well as some questions about experience and classes I enjoyed or did not do so well in. This was a simple and painless interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to be a knife, fork or spoon, which would you be and why?   Answer Question

Field Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Newfield Exploration.

Newfield was very accommodating and was very welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us how people who least like you would describe you.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Newfield Exploration.

I contacted NFX through my on-campus recruiting services. I attended a pre-interview dinner which really helped me to get hired. The company seemed like a typical place to work and the employees were very laid back for an oil and gas company. I had one behavioral interview with 2 employees, one of which was at the dinner.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a 30 second TV commercial about your life, what would be in it?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Newfield Exploration in January 2011.

The HR Rep was very welcoming yet forward with the expectations of the position. There were many positive traits that the interviewers and the staffing agency focused on which helped ease the interviewing jitters. All interviewers were ready with a packet of the job posting, timed interview schedule and prewritten notes on my resume. You can tell they knew what traits they were looking for and what precautions they have had to highlight from previous candidates. They did not sugar coat the company's standing nor the position. They were very upfront and very proud of the company they worked for.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle office politics?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience with companies that are going through growing pains?   Answer Question
    Vacation time and Flex time limitations

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Newfield Exploration in October 2010.

Very organized interview - arranged through HR. In 5 hours I met with 6 people - two virtually via skype/lync.
    Looking primarily for a cultural fit, secondarily for strong project delivery skills.

Interview Questions
    • What best practices would you use with a distributed team?   View Answer
    They were supportive of my requests, but very firm on offer limits.

Regulatory Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Newfield Exploration.

They flew me in from another city all expenses paid. I interviewed most of the day. Each person or group was very friendly and knowledgable. They spoke very highly of the company and seemed very interested in me. They were organized and professional. Overall it was a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How long does it take to file a completion report in Texas or in Oklahoma.   View Answer
    I accepted the first offer.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Newfield Exploration in September 2011.

Two people interviewed me one younger guy and one older. Very brief, started with why PetE, why newfield, ran through my resume, ask if or if i hope to hold a leadership position, tell me about a time when you worked in a team. Its been 9 days since my interview and I haven't heard back yet but the interview was pretty relaxed and straightforward.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Newfield Exploration in September 2010.

They seem not to be interested in what I did.

Interview Questions
    • Introduce a little about yourself   Answer Question
    • Describe a little on your research: how do you optimize a fracture operation.   Answer Question