Newmont Mining Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014
15 interviews

2.9

Global IT Analyst Interview

Initial phone screen was with a recruiter followed by 3 on site interviews. First was with the team I would be working with, followed by a one-on-one with our Director, and another with an executive chief of staff. First interview was with the group and I was asked to give a 5 minute PowerPoint presentation. Was asked some technical questions. Next interview was with a director and more of a interpersonal interview to see how I'd fit in with the team.

Director Data Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Newmont Mining in June 2013.

During the interview process, I met with several key executives and IT personnel. The actual interview process was conducted mostly by contractors who were more interested in the platform than how to address the analytic business needs of the organization. Also included in the interview process, was a chance to be interviewed by an HR manager.

Interview Questions
    • Went through a series of choice A or B style questions...for example, paper or plastic? Some were applicable, others were just silly.   View Answer

IT Professional Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Newmont Mining.

Pretty informal. Small community, so everyone already knew of each other.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of (my current boss)?   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Newmont Mining in May 2010.

Initial communications was through an employee referral. After submitting resumes and applications through both the employee and HR, there were several interviews (phone screening, in person with hiring manager, group interview with team). One interview included a PowerPoint presentation. There was a period of follow-up phone calls, followed by an eventual job offer.

Communication throughout the process was sporadic and sometimes lacked clarity, but overall it was not a bad process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult (but expected - it was communicated prior to the group interview) part of the interview was to prepare a presentation to the group, yet no topic or guidance was given on what they would like to see highlighted. Without knowing the audience (yet) or who was even going to participate, it was difficult to know what to present.   Answer Question
    Newmont tends to act as if they are the only game in town and that everyone should want to work there, therefore they tend to negotiate very little on anything.

Accounting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Newmont Mining in March 2013.

Got a call in March to fill a spot for an intern that was leaving. Called on Monday, interviewed on Wednesday and someone from HR called on Friday to say that they would like to offer me the position. I think it was out of necessity that the process was so quick, but still...great experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Excel formula to use?   View Answer
    No negotiation for intern salary.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Butte, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butte, MT

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Newmont Mining in September 2012.

When they visited my college, I submitted my resume. Upon reviewing my resume, they called me back for the initial interview the day after the Career Fair. Later, they informed me that they wanted to do a second phone interview. After the phone interview (2-3 weeks) they called me back with an offer.

Category Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Newmont Mining in February 2010.

Comprehensive list of requirements and topics

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Newmont Mining in February 2011.

Most interesting part was that they had me put together a slide presentation about myself, explaining why I'd be good at the job. I thought that was clever way to do it.

Digital Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Newmont Mining in May 2012.

Initially I was contacted by an in-house recruiter. I had a phone interview with an HR person which went very well. She gave me good insights on pay, benefits and we talked about my experience.
    I was called back for an in-person interview which went really well. Then after 2 weeks got another call to meet with two other people. I felt that went really well too. A few more weeks went by and I called but they were still working on a decision. Two days later they told me they thought I was a great fit and everyone liked me but they went with someone internally. I was a bit heartbroken but totally understand.

Emerging Talent Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Newmont Mining in April 2012.

There were two days of interviews. The first day was a half hour meeting at the company headquarters with three people from different sections. They basically just asked about my experience, why I chose my graduate degree, what my career interests are. The second round didn't take place for another month. I had a series of one on one interviews with various members of the internal audit section. This one was a little more in-depth about why I wanted to work for Newmont, my career aspirations, and my skills set. One thing that stuck out to me was that all but one of the five people I met with was brought on board the company by a mentor who came to work there. Seems like you won't get a job if you don't know someone in the company who's willing to sponsor you.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work for Newmont rather than a big 4 firm?   Answer Question

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!