News America Marketing Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at News America Marketing.

First step was having a phone interview with HR. Asked basic questions about your resume and experience. After that, they set up an interview with 3 different Account Directors. Basic interview questions are asked. It seemed like it had went well and the interviewers were friendly for the most part. Had a decision the next day.

Entry Level Interview

Very intense people. Felt like they did most of the talking. Only wanted to hear specific things. Met with a few different people around the office including pretty high up people. They were definitely looking for a specific type of person: young, pretty, LOVE sales, peppy, conservative. Asked a ton of questions about their products, what they do, why they do it. Less about my skills, more about them. Must relate EVERYTHING in your resume to sales

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at News America Marketing.

The interview was intense. First it was an initial phone screen with the HR Generalist, really basic. Followed with an office interview (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area - so it was easy for me to get to the interview). If you are not local to an office you would have a Skype Interview. This component entailed three interviews. Finally, I was flown down to LA for the final interview, where I met with six additional executives and managers. In total is met/chatted with ten different people involved with the company. Just be yourself, explain how you love sales and you should be in good shape.

No negotiation available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at News America Marketing.

Was referred to this company by a friend, but they also interview on campus, and their website clearly lays out details for the Sales Development Program. I had a brief phone screening, then two initial interviews, and then participated in their HQ process in NYC. HQ is an introductory night with brief presentations, happy hour with the interviewers and executives, and dinner with current entry level employees.

It's hard to say there is an interview style common, as you'll never know what you're going to get with your 7 interviewers. Some are ''sell me this stapler,'' some are talking about how the Packers did last season for a half hour. Be personable, be likeable, be genuine, and be comfortable without being cocky. These are salespeople, they know when they're being BS'd.

Don't act like they want your passion to be selling coupons, that isn't what the company is about. Figure out what the right passion is that translates to a successful career here, and you'll get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Where else are you interviewing? If you got an offer from X company tomorrow, would you accept an offer here?   Answer Question
    • You have a blank check- what kind of business do you use it to open?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about what you were doing in college. What about senior year? What about junior year? Sophomore? Freshman?   View Answer
    • Sell me this stapler.   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for News America Marketing?   View Answer
    Salary and bonus structure is non-negotiable and predetermined for the first 4 levels or so of the Sales ladder. This information is published. It's $45,000 base + $5,000 bonus, regardless of location.

Account Coordinator Interview

Two thirty minute on-campus interviews. Information session the night before.

Layouts Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at News America Marketing.

Contacted by recruiter initially, set up in person interview. Interviewed with the recruiter and then three representatives from the department the position was in individually, the assistant manager, manager, and VP. Very easygoing interview, conversational, probably the easiest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, a day or two after the interview they made an offer, but no room for negotiation.

Sales Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at News America Marketing in September 2012.

3 interviews in the whole process

1- Phone interview for a half hour with college recruiter. No curveballs, really nice interviewer
    2- In office interview about a month later, had 4 different people interview me, about 40 minutes each. All of them were really laid back interviewers
    3- Final round in the office again. It was an entire day, rotated interviewers about 6 times, then had lunch with some current employees in the program.

The offer was given over the phone a day after my interview, and the official offer with benefits package was given in an email the next day. Really quick, painless process.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask any case questions, all behavioral & about my resume. Not a single trick was thrown   Answer Question

It isn't my ideal position, doesn't seem that challenging or glamorous of a job. (But extremely friendly atmosphere & gorgeous office)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at News America Marketing in November 2011.

There was the initial interview with 2 people from the company, then they flew you out to NYC for a 2 day interview process. Day one consisted of an information video session with a Q&A and Day 2 consisted of 7, 40 minute interviews.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at News America Marketing in March 2012.

The interviews went fine. Be sure to have a solid understanding of the company structure and have well prepared answers for why you want to work there. Personally, I had a hard time saying I had a "passion" to work in the coupon industry... Find a good way to sell yourself on this one! Best of luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at News America Marketing in March 2012.

I submitted my resume for an on-campus interview and was asked to come in to interview with them. There was an information session the night before the the interview which was helpful to get a feel of what the two interviewers were like. They are very open and upfront about everything, and have nothing to hide. I did some research on the company and they have so much on the website so you'll be set if you just know about what the position is, what the company does, and what are the products they sell. The next day I had a 30 min interview with an HR representation back to back with 30 min interview with the Senior VP Regional Manager of Sales. They were both very friendly and the interviews were conversational. The HR was more administrative and Why sales type questions and the other one was conversational about my background and past experiences. I got an email two days later saying that I was invited to the HQ event for the final interview held in NY. The event was 4 weeks after my initial interview and they covered everything from travel to hotel to nice dinner, it was a very impressive experience. There was a presentation where the CEO gave a talk, had a QA with him and also some other people who worked there as well. Watched a few videos to get an idea of the culture and had a cocktail reception after that. We all got to meet all of the people who we were interviewing with the next day and just socialize with them and the other candidates. Then we had a really nice dinner with current ACs and some HR people as well. This was one of my favorite things because we got to ask them questions about everything and they gave us tips on the interviewers and more about the job too. The next day I had 7 interviews with executive members and other managers that were 40 mins each. The night before they gave us bios on all the interviewers so it was helpful to look that over as well as have really good questions prepared, and not just generic ones to ask. They provided breakfast and lunch as well as a hotel night stay. Everyone was very welcoming, sincere, nice, funny and friendly. I got a call two days later, extending the offer to me which I accepted. The culture of the office was very young and energetic, the office was beautiful and very open, and the management and higher up people really care about those lower on the rungs and don't look down upon anyone, they really value their employees.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe your temper?   View Answer
    • There is only one position and it's down to you and one person in the other room. Why should I give the job to you?   View Answer
    • Describe News America Marketing to me? What have you been saying to your parents, friends and family when you describe the company? What are the products in our portfolio?   View Answer
    • Besides being people oriented, why do you think that you would be good at sales? Why do you want to do sales as a career?   View Answer
    • Walk me through your resume, and tell me about your past experiences in sales/customer service.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, it was already set at $45,000 with a $5,000 bonus, non-negotiable.