Newsday

www.newsday.com

Newsday Interview Questions

Journalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Newsday.

After submitting clips online and calling for info, I was contacted and flown in for a tryout that lasted for three days. There was no taking me out to meals or anything, no socializing, just writing and working. But all my pieces ended up in the paper and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • The biggest thing was actually writing for the next days' papers during my tryout.   View Answer
    very little

Freelance Writer/Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Newsday in May 2013.

Mainly done via email. Submit clips, pitch story idea to specified editor and editor will usually respond via email. Fairly informal for freelance stories.

Internet News Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Newsday in January 2011.

Initial interview was over the phone with the Deputy Online Editor. The next step is to come in to meet with editors. I met with four editors and eventually the top Editor, but I've also heard others having to meet up to 7 editors in one day. I've also heard that sometimes the top editor is unavailable to meet you at the last minute, because of a breaking news situation, and you may have to come in for another day.

Interview Questions
    • I think that they worry a lot about their employee retention rate, so they asked me about commuting from NYC. If you're okay with the commute, just let them know that. But as an Internet News Manager, they want to know what kind of work you did as a web producer. Headline writing, copy editing and being able to juggle breaking news is a very important part of the job.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Newsday in May 2010.

I was being interviewed for a sales rep over the telephone. I really felt confident that I would get the position since I taken a written test and i passed it. She asked me a question about what I would do in a situation to please a customer. I fumbled at first and I retold a story that happened to me at a supermarket where I formerly worked. The customer was not pleased with the product and she wanted her money back and I could not do that and the customer service was not available. I relayed this story to the interviewer and then it was done. She finished at that point. I thought afterwards that I failed. I knew I would have succeeded in the job.

Assistant Entertainment Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Newsday in October 2008.

Communication with the company went very smoothly. They set up a time for and hotel reservation so I would be fresh for the meeting. I brought newspaper clips with me, which we discussed. We chatted so I could find out what they were looking for and so they could find out if I was the right person for the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to attract more readers to the entertainment section?   View Answer
    • What expereince do you have?   View Answer