Newton Europe

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Test Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Newton Europe in December 2013.

Interview Details – Came through to Newton via agency, who highly recommended the company's work culture. First was a telecon, which went well. Some of the answers were extracted from me, which is the sign of a good interviewer. Then had a second face to face, with two people which was again very good. They made me feel comfortable, and we had very technical and informal round. It exceeded beyond the normal time limit. I was told that there will be only two rounds and they will reveal the decision. But I was again called for a third round in London which they reimbursed. The interview in London went for 2 hours and slightly more in the Hilton. I was impressed by the professionalism and the ease of communication (both contradict). I met the company's director, an extremely nice and approachable person. And also my would-be-manager.

I got the decision the same day in the evening.

Interview Questions

• What will you do when you come to know that there is a lot of resistance for a team to change and adapt to new processes?   Answer Question
  • How would you communicate with a client who is very non-technical and yet demands to know how are we planning to deliver the project to him?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pre-negotiated salary. They were happy to pay what I wanted.

Interviewed at Newton Europe

Interview Details – Done the test on campus, quite easy, passed it, got to selection day on campus a week later

Interview Question – None. All questions were quite basic   Answer Question

Interviewed at Newton Europe

Interview Details – Did tests at uni and the following week was invited to an assessment day. Here we all had to do a 3 minute presentation as well as a case study and a short non technical interview.

Interview Question – case study   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Newton Europe.

Interview Details – Presentation at university/career fair followed by technical/reasoning assessment.
For those who make it, next stage is day-long assessment.
The morning starts with a short presentation (no visual aid) that you are asked to prepare a few days earlier on a topic of your choice (to be presented in front of your peer interviewees and 2/3 assessors). Next, there is an alternation of case studies (testing analytical and reasoning skills mostly - not business cases of the traditional type!) and group activities and individual interviews to verify motivation & interests and getting to know the candidate (who also has opportunities for asking all question she/he desires).
At lunch-time there is a further selection, and those who make it to the afternoon are faced by a further case-study. A final interview also wraps up the day.
Final stage is preceded by a dinner in which standard social skills are assessed (nothing to be worried about - being yourself is the absolute best you can do!) and the candidates have their opportunity to get to know the company culture and see if it suits them.
The morning after a final case-study + interview is now role-played (psychology is just as important as analytical skills in this job!). Focus is on personality - technical ability has already been assessed!
About a week later you'll hear back whether the results are positive or not and you will be able to receive feedback on what you didn't do so well.

Interview Question – None - it's all about how you think, not standard case studies (I personally never trained on business case studies). So whenever it feels you don't have the right answer, don't worry and just lead the assessors through your thoughts in a logical fashion.
Be prepared for some challenge as in a real case scenario where clients may disagree with you! (for final stage only)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Newton Europe.

Interview Details – Initial online A level standard physics along with normal "Three best achievements/examples of drive" etc questions.
Assessment day with quick fire maths, physics and physcometric test. Business awareness test and industrial case study. Also had to do a 3 minute presentation on anything you find "amusing or interesting". I would recommend choosing something that shows you are social and interested in more than just scienceand techonology.

In the afternoon you have to analyse another case study with only 30 minutes to prepare before presenting your results to the MD and Production Manager in a roleplay situation. This was the difficult and stressful! Don't lose your cool.

The next round is a dinner with other candidates and Newton employees. The following day is a final case study and interview. Again, quite stressful as you are under a lot of pressure form the recuiters. Make sure you go into the "meeting" with a clear objective of where you want to finish.

Interview Question – Afternoon case study. Only 30 minutes to prepare. Make sure you have a conclusion and can remain calm and professional under pressure.   Answer Question

Operational Improvement Consultant Interview

Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Newton Europe in October 2013.

Interview Details – Send CV + Cover Letter

Invite to take maths + physics tests

Aptitude tests and further competency questions on an online form

Assessment day - make you re-sit all the tests if you completed them at home and not at a campus, short 3 minute presentation and case study. About 70% get sent home at lunch - I was one of that 70%.

The presentation is a bit of a curveball - they say talk about any topic and one which will interest and engage your audience however those who were successful all had relatively boring engineering based talks and those who talked about hobbies or interesting extracurricular activities did not appear to progress.

The case study is a bit weird - you either get it or you don't. If it clicks you're fine but if you get a bit stuck for a few minutes then it can all slip away from you quite quickly in the limited time. They will explain some 'theory' beforehand....make sure that you at least understand that before you start so question them further at that stage if you must.

With regards to feedback, they say that they pride themselves on offering detailed feedback and support and I found this was absolutely not true. I received a vague 2 lines via e-mail and only once I had requested. The feedback was not helpful and when I asked for further specification of my shortcomings despite 'returning to the assessors' I still did not receive much meaningful info.

In general I also got the impression that the organisation was quite snobbish. Perhaps don't work here if you're an open, honest and direct person as different opinions may not be respected. It also seemed worryingly un-multicultural and there was an unhealthy gender balance. About 90% of employees seem to be white males.

Interview Question – None really in the interview - the case study was tough though and it is definitely an advantage to have an engineering background   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Newton Europe in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial question papers - one engineering, one maths. Followed by an assessment day with presentations given by employees, case-study technical exercises on typical work and microsoft excel multiple choice test, team-based activity, and a one-to-one interview. Must also prepare a 3 minute presentation with no props; just talking - found this quite an interesting experience.

Interview Questions

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Newton Europe.

Interview Details – Transparent and straightforward. Just submitted my CV and a short covering letter online and received an invitation to take an online test. The succesful completion of this led to the invitation to a selection day. After a short presentation, we were interviewed and had to do some more testing. After lunch, only a third of the applicants was asked to stay for more interviews/roleplays/testing.

Interview Question – Physics test   Answer Question

Interviewed at Newton Europe

Interview Details – Technical test and psychometric test.
Assessment day involving:
3 min presentation on subject of your choice.
Case studies,
business tests
problem solving tests
1-1 Interview
Role play case study with 2 senior consultants.

Interview Question – Business awareness test.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

New Graduate Interview

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at Newton Europe in September 2012.

Interview Details – First round was two written aptitude tests, one focusing on mostly physics with another in math. Second round was a selection day with 2 dismissals throughout the day to narrow the field to under 5 candidates.

Interview Question – physics aptitude test   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Newton Europe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newton Europe interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Newton Europe employees and interview candidates.