Newton Europe

Updated Jan 23, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Newton Europe in October 2014.

They said they wanted to hire US based experienced consultants, train them in the UK, and then bring them back to the US. They ended up bringing 8 of us to the final "selection day" and hired no one :)
    Selection day consisted of a 3 min presentation (without slides or props), 3 written tests - numerical, IQ and physics, behavioral interview and 30 min case. 5 candidates were sent back after lunch. The 3 remaining had one other case in the afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions were around manufacturing process optimization, so it looked like they were looking for some very specific set of skills. Something seemed very odd the way the whole process was conducted.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Newton Europe in October 2014.

Initially sat two 20 minute multiple-choice tests on Maths and Physics/Engineering. Questions were quite simple and didn't require much knowledge but it was a rush to finish everything in time. A few days later, I was invited for an 'Assessment Day' with 10 others. This began with a short 2-minute presentation (prepared beforehand) to the group, followed by a short presentation by a Newton consultant on Coupled Processes. We were given a short written case study on this material (details in the next section). Afterwards, the group split up into two with one doing a team building exercise (building a structure out of paper) and the other having 1-on-1 interviews. Typical interview questions: describe a time in which you failed, what is your greatest weakness, why do you want to work for us etc. Was not invited to stay for the afternoon session.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was based around a shampoo manufacturing plant with three components: a mixing stage, which feeds into a storage tank, followed by bottling. The mixing and bottling machines each have a certain expected downtime with different frequencies. You are asked to change how to control the speeds of both the mixer and the bottler such that the overall production rate is maximised.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Newton Europe.

After meeting Newton at an on-campus careers fair, I applied online. The online application was long and detailed. HR got back to me with a series of online tests: mathematics, mechanics, reading comprehension and logic. After passing these, I was invited to an assessment day.

Assessment day consisted of:
    -Retaking the online tests.
    -3 minute presentation on a topic of my choice.
    -Case study on assembly line balancing. Written answer.
    -One-on-one non-technical interview.
    -Lunch: about 1/3 of the group was cut over lunch time.
    -A group exercise.
    -Another case study followed by a role play.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Newton Europe.

Application online. They are looking for well rounded people - don't come across as too academic!
    Online tests; maths and technical. Technical was hard and I didn't have a clue what I was doing but I just used my common sense and managed to pass.
    Assessment centre which involved presentation, case study, group exercise, analytical test, case study role play.

Case study role play was hard; prioritise your preparation time well!

Interview Questions
    • What other jobs have you applied for?
      Why did you choose the A levels that you did?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Newton Europe.

Online Testing (repeated at interview) & some further questions, fairly easy.

Selection day; 3min presentation - I believe they are looking for presentation skills and confidence. They will cut you off completely at three mins. 15min basic interview, written technical exercise and a group exercise. Then at lunch some people sent home, after lunch a larger technical exercise with a role play. Interact with the interviewers characters in the role play, the more they talk about solving the problem the better.

Final Interview; a very informal interview about CV and a technical exercise/role play, neither where two tough, its personality and a good grasp of the role play i believe they're looking for.

Interview Questions
    • 'What would your friends say about you' followed by 'give me their number's and I'll call them', I believe the interview might have   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Newton Europe in December 2014.

did the test on-campus and then followed their email to fill in application online
    Asked to go to the selection day
    Start with a 3 minute presentation and then a written case study
    then a group case study
    then a CV interview, quite normal questions, asked why do you want to do consultancy, what is the most challenge thing recently
    after lunch there is another case study role play
    didn't do well in the afternoon
    received the decline mail one day after

Interview Questions
    • case study after lunch is quite confusing and difficult   View Answer

Experienced Hire - Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Newton Europe.

The process was long. For an experienced professional having to jump through hoops like a graduate scheme process is a bit over the top. First stage, numerical test by SHL. Second stage telephone interview. Third stage, assessment center where people get sent home at lunch. And if you pass that a final stage with dinner and final interview.
    The assessment center is hardest one I have ever been to. Advise, wear a suit, everyone does even though in instructions it says smart casual. They give same tests (case study, numerical and technical and inductive reasoning tests) to people from technical backgrounds (e.g. engineering, physics, maths, chemistry, etc) as people from non- tech background (e.g. history, finance, business, etc). This is ridiculous, there should be two types of tests, one for business consultants and one for engineering/technical consultants. Tests were not even by SHL, which was what was given as stage 1 of application process. These were much much harder. Because it is impossible to pass the tests and case study without a strong technical background. I have not studied physics, etc since high school. Interview and presentations aspects were fine. But overall, felt it was a wast of my time as clearly the only people who can get through are people with technical backgrounds and they should have been upfront about that from the start. Also, they want you to start at 8:30am but don't provide enough travel allowance for accommodation. If you have to travel 2.5hr to get there, you arrive exhausted and tired. I recommend at least offering accommodation travel allowance to be higher for people who live over 2hrs away. Also, they tell you its not the apprentice as you are not competing against each other, but really, it is if you are comparing us to each other and assessing as based on competencies and skills only technical background people will have.
    Plus side, you at least get lunch before being sent home.
    I think most people apply because of the salary, but the number of stages involved, you really have to consider it it is worth it for someone with experience to have to jump through this many hoops when you have work experience and a bachelors and masters degree.

Graduate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Newton Europe.

3 minute presentation (prepped beforehand) on any topic
    Written Case Study (was also given a case study teach - useful)
    Team Building Exercise and one-to-one interview ongoing
    Lunch - some people get sent home
    Verbal Case Study

Interview Questions
    • Some interview questions were your biggest challenge, how would your friend describe you in 3 words. what is something about yourself that you are trying to change.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Selection exam - maths and reasoning at a centre near my university
    Email - congratulating/ onto next stage
    Online application - transferring CV information onto a form
    Email - congratulating and asking to schedule an assessment day
    Assessment day - 8 people, arrived at 8.00. Presentation, then case study, it's very difficult for someone have not studied mechanics or mechanisms as such. Then test on what's been learnt. Following this, team activity, then interviews (usual questions) and finally you either stay or you're cut at lunch.
    I got cut, but feedback is on its way

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Newton Europe.

Did tests at University. Found numerical was a large amount of short mathematical questions and the technical was VERY engineering based. Initially told not got through to next round due to technical test however I emailed asking why I was given that test as I was a Chemistry student, due to this was invited to an assessment day.

On the assessment day had to do presentation, this is V important factor in their decision making as most of those who didn't do well in talk got sent home at lunch. The interview is also very important and I managed to mess this up due to the following question which for me, due to my life history, has a convoluted answer which didn't put me across well. You also have to do a case study which they explain clearly beforehand so don't worry about it.

Got really good and useful feedback within a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • How have you come from leaving school to applying to Newton.   Answer Question