Nexen Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2014
Updated Aug 12, 2014

2.8

Human Resources Analyst Interview

What do you think it takes to be successful in this position?

Tell me about a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision.

Walk us thru a situation where you generated new ideas.

How do you define success?

Why do you think you will fit with the company culture?

How do you contribute to building trust and respect in your team or group?

What are the areas in which you need to grow?

Why are you the best candidate for this position?

Interview Questions
    • Provide a previous situation that best demonstrates your ability to manage multiple tasks, while providing strong attention to detail and meeting required deadlines.   Answer Question

HSE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Nexen in March 2011.

I received a phone call asking me to apply. I applied online and was scheduled for a panel interview. The panel consisted of multi-disciplined group and managers at various grade levels. After interviewing I was offered a position. I spent approximately one week negotiating the benefits before accepting the offer.

Interview Questions
    • the most difficult question was why I was interested in leaving my current employer.   Answer Question
    small increase in both salary and sign on bonus

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Nexen.

3 stages. first Video interview. 6 questions. bascially why the company chooses you and why you choose the company and this position, describe a happy day in your workplace, describe the best team you are in the what your role is in that team and describe the best manager you have ever had. then the second stage is to meet with HRBP and my manager. describe your education background and work background, describe your strength, how do you meet deadline etc. third one is with my manager and another senior HR.

Interview Questions
    • no very difficult questions. most are general questions. but one lesson for me is try to get to the point.   Answer Question
    no negotiation at all. they are very generous

Special Projects Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen in March 2012.

one week process! I was called for an interview with the engineer that became my supervisor. I had to go through two interviews. First one was with the supervisor and the second one was with the manager. First one was 1 hour long and contained general questions, behavioral and technical questions. Second one was mainly behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions involved darcy's laws, latent heat and enthalpy vs pressure relations.   Answer Question
    No negotiations as I had to start in May

Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Nexen in February 2014.

Interview

Interview Questions
    No your resume inside out

Contract Administrator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen.

Very informal there was only one interview that was approximately 20-25 minutes. No behavioural based questions more so only statements and qualities that they found were important in a future team member thereby forcing you to defend your resume and your previous experience to their statement. Do not be shy and do not be scared to boast about yourself that is what they would like to see.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place the offer was more generous than my expressed bottom line

Technical Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Nexen in October 2013.

I was initially contacted by the Human Resources office one week after the job application deadline. They set up a phone interview with me which was conducted a week after their initial contact with me.

My interview panel consisted of two current employees who work in the technical department. One interviewer was a manager and the other was an employee who had previously worked the job I was being interviewed for.

The interview started with my interviewers introducing themselves and their positions at Nexen. Then they asked me general questions and behavioural based questions/scenarios.

Examples of general questions: What do you know about Nexen? What do you know about the Oil and Gas industry? Why do you want to be a Geologist/Engineer/Etc.? What is your biggest strength and how could this benefit our company? What is your biggest weakness and how could you improve on this?

Examples of behavioural questions/scenarios: Describe a time when you took on a leadership role. Give examples of how you handle working independently and as part of a team. Explain a time when you had to take control of a situation.

Overall, the interview went really well and it was about average difficulty. It was an hour long and at the end I was given a chance to ask my interviewers a few questions. This was a great opportunity to learn about the work environment at Nexen and a chance to show my interviewers just how interested I was in their company.

My best advice for preparing for this interview is to know your resume inside and out. Try to relate as many things on your resume to behavioural questions. You can find examples of these questions from a simple Google search. Additionally, you should research information about Nexen and the Oil and Gas industry.

Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation at work.   Answer Question

Engineering Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Nexen in November 2012.

Got a phone call from HR to schedule an interview, and the interview was in 2 days. Introduced myself first, then was asked what did I know about Nexen followed by regular behaviour questions and their interests about my experience on the resume. As there was only one round of interview, finally was asked about how long the work term did I expect. There was no technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any question for us or about the company?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Graduate EIT Position Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen.

Received an email with a request to schedule an interview, followed by an interview with two engineers. They outline everything on the website and it is entirely behavioural with nothing unexpected. For example:

- Why do you want to work for Nexen
    - Why do you want to work in oil and gas

Everything is answered using the STAR technique and Lessons Learned.

Geologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nexen.

Initial phone interview then in person with a supervisor. First behavioural question and the second interview mostly technical.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were challenging. Explain the general steps of an exploration to production project.   Answer Question

Worked for Nexen? Contribute to the Community!