Nexen Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.8

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Interview

What do you think it takes to be successful in this position?

Tell me about a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision.

Walk us thru a situation where you generated new ideas.

How do you define success?

Why do you think you will fit with the company culture?

How do you contribute to building trust and respect in your team or group?

What are the areas in which you need to grow?

Why are you the best candidate for this position?

Interview Questions

• Provide a previous situation that best demonstrates your ability to manage multiple tasks, while providing strong attention to detail and meeting required deadlines.   Answer Question

HSE Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nexen (Houston, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call asking me to apply. I applied online and was scheduled for a panel interview. The panel consisted of multi-disciplined group and managers at various grade levels. After interviewing I was offered a position. I spent approximately one week negotiating the benefits before accepting the offer.

Interview Questions

• the most difficult question was why I was interested in leaving my current employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

small increase in both salary and sign on bonus

New Grad-Geophysicist In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nexen.

Interview

1. What is your greatest weakness?
    2. What's your long-term and short-term goal?
    3. What's your greatest strength?
    4. Which course you like the most and which course you like the least? Why?
    5. Give me an example of how you worked on a team.
    6. What do you know about our company

Mechanical Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nexen in November 2014.

Interview

Received the call from company after submitted application for 2 months, arranged the interview the following week of the call. It was an phone interview for the position in Fort Mc. The team manager called me on time that day, the first question was how much I know about Nexen, followed by some behaviour questions with focus on leadership experience and course projects. It lasted about 40 mins and end with chance to ask questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe your strength and weakness. Describe your leadership experience.   1 Answer

Technical Summer Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nexen in October 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with two new graduate engineers

- Why Nexen
    - Why oil and gas
    - Behavioral Questions
      - Conflict, Teamwork, Leadership (STAR Method)
    - Relaxed \
    - Know resume inside out and have good situation examples for above

Negotiation

No negotiation

Co-op Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nexen (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I got a call a couple weeks after the application deadline to schedule an in person interview. I interviews with the two team leads that I would potentially be working under The interview was at the Calgary office downtown. Interviewers were friendly and upbeat.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were behavioral.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nexen.

Interview

3 stages. first Video interview. 6 questions. bascially why the company chooses you and why you choose the company and this position, describe a happy day in your workplace, describe the best team you are in the what your role is in that team and describe the best manager you have ever had. then the second stage is to meet with HRBP and my manager. describe your education background and work background, describe your strength, how do you meet deadline etc. third one is with my manager and another senior HR.

Interview Questions

• no very difficult questions. most are general questions. but one lesson for me is try to get to the point.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation at all. they are very generous

Coop Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Nexen (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at Nexen   1 Answer

Negotiation

No your resume inside out

Contract Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nexen.

Interview

Very informal there was only one interview that was approximately 20-25 minutes. No behavioural based questions more so only statements and qualities that they found were important in a future team member thereby forcing you to defend your resume and your previous experience to their statement. Do not be shy and do not be scared to boast about yourself that is what they would like to see.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation took place the offer was more generous than my expressed bottom line

Graduate EIT Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nexen.

Interview

Received an email with a request to schedule an interview, followed by an interview with two engineers. They outline everything on the website and it is entirely behavioural with nothing unexpected. For example:

- Why do you want to work for Nexen
    - Why do you want to work in oil and gas

Everything is answered using the STAR technique and Lessons Learned.