Nexen

Relevance Date Difficulty

HSE Interview

HSE
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Nexen in March 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call asking me to apply. I applied online and was scheduled for a panel interview. The panel consisted of multi-disciplined group and managers at various grade levels. After interviewing I was offered a position. I spent approximately one week negotiating the benefits before accepting the offer.

Interview Question – the most difficult question was why I was interested in leaving my current employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – small increase in both salary and sign on bonus

Special Projects Intern Interview

Special Projects Intern
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen in March 2012.

Interview Details – one week process! I was called for an interview with the engineer that became my supervisor. I had to go through two interviews. First one was with the supervisor and the second one was with the manager. First one was 1 hour long and contained general questions, behavioral and technical questions. Second one was mainly behavioral.

Interview Question – Technical questions involved darcy's laws, latent heat and enthalpy vs pressure relations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations as I had to start in May

Coop Interview

Coop
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Nexen in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview

Interview Question – why do you want to work at Nexen   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No your resume inside out

Very Easy Interview

Contract Administrator Interview

Contract Administrator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen.

Interview Details – Very informal there was only one interview that was approximately 20-25 minutes. No behavioural based questions more so only statements and qualities that they found were important in a future team member thereby forcing you to defend your resume and your previous experience to their statement. Do not be shy and do not be scared to boast about yourself that is what they would like to see.

Interview Question – Are you physically active? Do you work out?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation took place the offer was more generous than my expressed bottom line

Technical Summer Student Interview

Technical Summer Student
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Nexen in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the Human Resources office one week after the job application deadline. They set up a phone interview with me which was conducted a week after their initial contact with me.

My interview panel consisted of two current employees who work in the technical department. One interviewer was a manager and the other was an employee who had previously worked the job I was being interviewed for.

The interview started with my interviewers introducing themselves and their positions at Nexen. Then they asked me general questions and behavioural based questions/scenarios.

Examples of general questions: What do you know about Nexen? What do you know about the Oil and Gas industry? Why do you want to be a Geologist/Engineer/Etc.? What is your biggest strength and how could this benefit our company? What is your biggest weakness and how could you improve on this?

Examples of behavioural questions/scenarios: Describe a time when you took on a leadership role. Give examples of how you handle working independently and as part of a team. Explain a time when you had to take control of a situation.

Overall, the interview went really well and it was about average difficulty. It was an hour long and at the end I was given a chance to ask my interviewers a few questions. This was a great opportunity to learn about the work environment at Nexen and a chance to show my interviewers just how interested I was in their company.

My best advice for preparing for this interview is to know your resume inside and out. Try to relate as many things on your resume to behavioural questions. You can find examples of these questions from a simple Google search. Additionally, you should research information about Nexen and the Oil and Gas industry.

Best of luck!

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation at work.   Answer Question

Engineering Coop Interview

Engineering Coop
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Nexen in November 2012.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from HR to schedule an interview, and the interview was in 2 days. Introduced myself first, then was asked what did I know about Nexen followed by regular behaviour questions and their interests about my experience on the resume. As there was only one round of interview, finally was asked about how long the work term did I expect. There was no technical question.

Interview Question – Do you have any question for us or about the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Graduate EIT Position Interview

Graduate EIT Position

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nexen.

Interview Details – Received an email with a request to schedule an interview, followed by an interview with two engineers. They outline everything on the website and it is entirely behavioural with nothing unexpected. For example:

- Why do you want to work for Nexen
- Why do you want to work in oil and gas

Everything is answered using the STAR technique and Lessons Learned.

Interview Question – Tell us about a complex problem you solved...   Answer Question

Geologist Interview

Geologist

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nexen.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview then in person with a supervisor. First behavioural question and the second interview mostly technical.

Interview Question – Technical questions were challenging. Explain the general steps of an exploration to production project.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Nexen.

Interview Details – Received a call, went in for an interview - asked behavioural questions - lasted about 50 min

Interview Question – Give an example of how you showed initiative   Answer Question

Supply Chain Professional Interview

Supply Chain Professional
Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nexen in October 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted for initial screening interview at which point a telephone interview was scheduled for the following week. Telephone interview was conducted for 30 mins at which point I was contacted several days later to schedule in-person interview. Was provided with flight, accommodations and rental car for in-person interview which lasted 90 mins.

Interview Question – Why did I want to work at Nexen?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate at the time. After acceptance and consulting with contacts in the industry I should have attempted a negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Nexen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nexen interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nexen employees and interview candidates.