Next Jump

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Web Applications Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Next Jump.

Interview Details – I applied through my college's career fair. The interview was pretty basic. It was divided into two parts, 30 minutes each. The first one was something like an informal talk about my background and things like that. The second one was a technical interview. The questions included:

a. Markup + CSS for two floated boxes separated by 200px empty space between them.
b. Find the the most repeated element in an array.
c. What is a class, object, inheritance?
d. What is a linked list? Where is it better than an unsorted array?
e. Some pretty basic Big Oh questions. I don't remember what exactly it was but was something along the lines of what's the insertion time for a linked-list.
f. Design DB tables for a gaming site.
g. Write a SQL query to get the most recent ratings of all the games sorted by their ratings (each game has multiple rows of ratings). Pretty standard case of using subqueries.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty easy- nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Web Development Intern Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Next Jump in March 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty standard process. The Super Saturday was a great experience.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Next Jump in February 2013.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview with basic questions: are you willing to relocate, what kind of work are you hoping for, etc.

Next, they flew me and all the other candidates to Boston for one weekend and had us do some hands-on interviewing.

The morning started with an introduction to the company, then they placed us into offices and cubicles and had us complete three tasks.

The first was to create a five-minute pitch to sell the company to a potential client. They surprised us a few minutes beforehand by saying it was a one-minute pitch. Then, they had a current employee come in and we pitched it.

The next was to create a map about somebody who was influential in our lives and a few reasons why. You could either create a poster or a powerpoint.

The afternoon was interspersed with a "career fair" where they introduced you to the various job tracks at Nextjump. There was also a catered lunch where you were able to ask questions of current employees and the owner.

Finally, in the afternoon, we had to work in groups to design a rewards program for a client. We presented "against" another group and critiqued each other. Current employees picked a winner.

Interview Question – Who is the most influential person in your life?   Answer Question

Web Applications Interview

Web Applications
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Next Jump in October 2013.

Interview Details – They had come to my university's career fair and I submitted my resume then. However, I didn't hear back for a while. So, I applied online and got an email to come in for an interview 2 days later. The on-site had 2 interviews - one behavioral and second was technical with HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL questions. They were all pretty basic.

I was then invited to their "Super Saturday" at NYC- they arrange your accommodation and travel expenses. BUT, I was handed a "train" ticket. Worse was yet to come. I checked in to my hotel room and was having shower, when someone was trying very hard to open the door. They make you share the room with a complete stranger and don't even tell you a word about it.

"Super" Saturday isn't so super as its very exhausting. They do arrange for your lunch and stuff. But, there are 50 other candidates and I soon realized that I didn't want to work for the company. Everyone of their employees kept talking about how "amazing their life is at NextJump and how work-life balance is super important to NextJump". The exaggeration was a bit too much and most of us had realized that they are lying. Some of the reviews from their ex-employees do talk about "long long" hours. In fact, the CEO did blurt it out during his speech that "if you're working for 60hours a week". There is just too much of "how awesome we are" and two tests of 30mins and 60mins each.

The technical questions included:
1. Creating a box containing two other boxes inside it (one on left and right, but 200px away from each other) and centering the outer box - pretty standard.

2. Finding the value of an element from an array, which occurs most number of times - there's an inbuilt php function to do this. Both, me and my interviewer, didn't know about this. I came back home and looked up php.net to learn it.

3. Create a counter in JS to continuously increment the value and display it in a text box.

4. Big-O questions - this is where I lose it for companies. I don't like studying for these sorts of things as a web developer.

5. Another 3 big php questions - they were solvable, but not in 40mins they give you. Then you have their employees saying "it could have been done in 20mins".

Interview Question – Big-O related algo based questions!   Answer Question

Business Side Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Next Jump.

Interview Details – First round phone interview conducted; second round invitation to the NYC office for a 9-hour-interview. It was by far the worst interview that I've had in my life. I've had fair share of interviews with Fortune 500 companies. I have never seen a company or a set of employees who didn't seem insightful about what they do. Of course, they are smart, energetic, and committed to what they do; but, I can definitely see how this company will go off to a tangent. How about spending some money on continuous innovation to diversify your product offering so that the company can at least exist 5 years later? I had no vision whatsoever with the product nor the company. People seem nice but very obnoxious type. I think I've heard of the word "culture", "fit","people" more than 200 times throughout the day. I was glad the day was over walking out of the office. Just stop embellishing about your culture and people. Culture exists everywhere and can only be articulated collectively, you don't need an explanation and embellishment about it.

Interview Question – None of the questions that I was asked was difficult nor challenging.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Business Development
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Next Jump in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by invitation to the Super Saturday event which was held in the New York HQ. It was a day long interview with presentations, group case scenarios and more interviews. They held a mini career exhibition as well. Very focused on finding candidates who can fit well with the Next Jump culture.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Troy, NY

Interviewed at Next Jump

Interview Details – I was shortlisted through my college career fair.
They contacted me through mail.

I had a first phone interview which was purely behavioral . 30 minutes questions including :
What did you do in your project in your work ex?
Have you felt anytime disappointed during your work and how did u overcame that?
Can u stretch?
A difficult situation where you were in and how did you came out of it.

I got through . Second round is due

Interview Question – Explain yourself in context of what your manager sees you as an asset?

&

Explain yourself as a person that people see you as?
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Next Jump in April 2013.

Interview Details – It was an awful experience. I know this as I spent some time temping there and was offered the chance to apply full time. As I was naive (being new to the job culture in NYC) and applied to keep my options open. Questionnaire, phone interview, first round (presentation), second round, third round (presentation and also the round I will focus on) and then after 2 months that's it. If I'm honest, the 2 people I met from round 1 and 2 were nice enough but the third round is one which I feel the need to review. I met with a director of finance and receptionist. There was inappropriate language aimed at my experience and skills as well as humiliating tactics to belittle my experience and skill set. I left that interview deflated and defeated. They had managed to completely disrespect me as a person and completely mock my experience. It was so out of the blue. Everything before had gone ok(good enough to make it to the last round) but what came at me for 1 hour was very unexpected. Their unprofessional body language during my presentation completely threw me off. I thought surely this had been a test? No, no test. Very dissappointing experience

Interview Question – Couldnt pinpoint one as there were many odd improvised questions throughout the interview   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Next Jump in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got set up with an interview through an employment agency. After a interview I was offered to start the next day, I was very impressed with the company and excited to start working. I wasn't happy with the hours or amount of pay but in this economy a job is a job.

Interview Question – Questions were entirely based on previous work experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they made me the offer and said take it or leave it

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Next Jump in February 2013.

Interview Details – Behavior questions for 30 minutes about the most challenging project, why you want this position, why you think you are a good fit, what kind of internship experience are you looking for. Then 30 minutes technical questions about HTML, CSS and Database

Interview Question – Give me the desired result of web page design and want me to write the html and css   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Next Jump

Worked for Next Jump? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Next Jump interview questions and advice. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Next Jump employees and interview candidates.