Next Jump

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Next Jump.

Interview Details – Had a phone screen, which was not anything beyond the ordinary, then went to the office for a second round. The interview consisted of 3 parts. A multiple choice test, questions from the interviewer, and a computer test.

My suggestion to anyone: if someone hands you a 45 minute multiple choice test upon entering an interview, walk out. The sections were: networking, Windows, Linux, and virtualization. The test consisted of very exact information, such as remembering Linux command flags or locations of files. 95% of the questions could be easily solvable through man pages or google, and did not represent problem solving skills at all. The "virtualization" section was all vmware. If you don't know vmware, you just lost 1/4 of the test. Also, if you don't work on the Windows side of things, there goes another 1/4.

The interviewer than asked me a series of questions, none of them too difficult, however I couldn't answer one about Apache.

That same question ended up being on the computer test, which consisted of two problems and gave you 45 minutes. With the terminal at hand, I answered the first question in about 5 minutes. It ended up that the Apache server just had to be reset and the index directory in the config file was incorrect. The second problem wasn't prepared correctly on the computer and was already solved! So instead, I dug into the code they provided on their Apache server and figured out what the problem would be, then provided a solution. After finishing, I probably waited around 20 minutes for the interviewer to get back.

Overall, the interviewer seemed very concerned about the multiple choice test and ignored pretty much the rest of the interview. I find this to be a prime example of what is wrong with tech recruiting.

Interview Question – What is the command to untar a file verbosely?   View Answer

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Next Jump in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied on line for an interview with next jump. The 1st stage consist of a phone interview, which is mostly technical questions. The interviewer reviews ur resume and asks you question on your area of expertise, trying to simulate practical problems and allow provide a solution. If successful you are flown to Boston, HQ for a second interview which is managerial.

Interview Question – How do you get two separate switches on different Vlans to communicate together   View Answer

Worked for Next Jump? Contribute to the Community!