Next Retail Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.0

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Next Retail.

Interview

Poor, although they were doing interviews spoke to lady at tills from that moment I knew it was going to be a mess. Told Manager was not there so some one was covering she seemed nice but was clueless. Went to stockroom to do a trial, supervisor complaining about having to help with recruitment process as she has a lot of work to do. Just overall very unprofessional. Employees complaining wishing they had more help, supervisor unfriendly glad I did not get the offer and got the experience to witness the job for what it was.

Sales Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Next Retail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

One interview over the phone where they wanted to know about what i'm like, then was asked to come in where i was on the shop-floor and learnt about what it's like working for Next.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Listen to everything they say

Trainee Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Next Retail (Leicester, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Long process
    Got to assessment day
    You have an interview for an hour and half you also get asked numerical question they put you under pressure
    Group task was good however kept on getting interrupted so make sure you hold your ground and stay confident

Interview Questions

• What do you know about merchandising   1 Answer

Merchandising Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Next Retail (Leicester, England (UK)).

Interview

Was relatively simple during mine (around 2013/14). Online application followed by some standard numeracy & literacy tests.
    The telephone interview which followed is essentially to ensure that you're a normal person who can articulate well.
    Then follows a recorded video interview. There is no invigilator, but there is a time limit for questions, so it's a good idea to plan your answers and read them out as you would in conversation to test they fit the 1-2 minutes limit. It's also advisable to ensure there's no 'waffle' in them. They want as clear and concise answers as possible, showing that you can think from multiple perspectives.
    After this is an assessment day with 5-10 other applicants. Here they essentially want to know that you have a handle on what the role is.
    -They'll give you some reports and ask you to pass judgement on what the numbers mean
    -They'll show you some product and ask you to decide on which is likely the best seller/most expensive etc
    -Then you'll be asked to work within a group.

As long as during all this you remember a Merchandiser's prime directive (to bring in revenue) and portray this confidently, you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• They asked 4 of us to plan a store layout at christmas with limited space for all departments.   1 Answer

Negotiation

After the offer, it took 2-3 months before they actually gave me a start date. NB it isn't a good idea to leave your current job after they give you the offer!

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Next Retail (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call around a month later. They asked if I was available for a phone interview which consisted of 4 quick questions. I was then invited in for an assessment in which I had to act like I worked in Next while someone assessed me - I was in the fitting room. After this I was asked to wait in the staff room while the people assessing discussed what they had seen from me. I was invited through to a meeting room and told there was good news and bad news as they wanted to take me on but the sales assistant jobs (which I applied for) were all gone so would I take a stockroom assistant job to which I said yes anyway. I was given £10 cash for my travels and a £10 next voucher to thank me for attending the interview. I started work around 2 weeks later. Very informal and pleasant.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered a stockroom assistant job although I applied for sales assistant but I was happy to take the role.

Christmas Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Next Retail (Hartlepool, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call a month or so later, I was asked a couple of very simple questions, about my experience and customer service. I was offered the temp Christmas job, straight away, on the phone. I was booked into an induction within the next week, where I had to take along right to work docs and details of references. It was a very straight forward process.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Next Retail (Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

After the phone interview I got called into the store for a trial shift where they told me it would have 1-2 hours, it took exactly 2 hours and I was exhausted, realised a retail job isn't for me. The people at the store were very nice and welcoming during my trial shift, the management teem seemed a little snobby but I guess they have to be.

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Next Retail (Dundee, Scotland (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for the role of Stockroom Assistant through Next's website on a Tuesday, was contacted for an interview on Wednesday and had the interview on Thursday.

The interview was not very formal at all, and really revolved around hands-on practice and how I interacted with other stockroom workers. I was asked to bring a copy of my CV and birth certificate/passport for the Assistant Manager, and that was really the only interaction I had with her.

In the stockroom, I was assigned to a long-term member of staff who demonstrated the basics before allowing me to get some hands-on experience. These basic tasks included: putting clothes away on the correct rails, security tagging products, applying age labels to hangers and how to send products down to the shop floor.

For this exercise, I was paid £10 in cash and received a £10 gift card - a most generous offer that I feel more employers should take in.

At the end of my time in the stockroom, I was notified immediately by the Assistant Manager that I had got the job and was asked to register online to confirm my details and give further information (such as my bank account information, etc.)

Overall, I would say that the hiring and interview process was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Next Retail in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job online and within 2 days received a phone call asking if i could come in the next day for a practical interview. 4 hours work and paid £10 and a £10 gift card. There was 2 other girls and we was all split up into different departments. i was first put in the changing rooms which was easy, fun. but the lady who was there watching me thought i should go back to college and not bother working there?. an hour later i was put into the general clothes part where i had to tidy the clothes? there's only so much tidying you can possibly do. i spent 4 hours on my feet with no drink bored. we was then taken upstairs and each taken i one by one to talk to the supervisor. i was last to go in and told straight away that another girl was much better and much more confident then i was but of course i could apply again. no thanks.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Next Retail (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

After applying for the role after 2 days i had got a phone call, a simple telephone interview that lasted for 10-mins asking about any previous experience and why i was interested in joining them. At the end of the telephone interview i was asked to come into a group interview held at the store i had applied to.
    This wasn't too bad just some group activities and interview questions that related to the role.

Interview Questions

• Any previous experience in retail?
      Best customer service you've received?
      If you were on a desert island what 5 items would you take?

Answer Question