Next Retail

Updated Feb 13, 2015

2.0

Sales Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Next Retail.

One interview over the phone where they wanted to know about what i'm like, then was asked to come in where i was on the shop-floor and learnt about what it's like working for Next.

Interview Questions
    Listen to everything they say

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Next Retail.

I applied online and received a phone call around a month later. They asked if I was available for a phone interview which consisted of 4 quick questions. I was then invited in for an assessment in which I had to act like I worked in Next while someone assessed me - I was in the fitting room. After this I was asked to wait in the staff room while the people assessing discussed what they had seen from me. I was invited through to a meeting room and told there was good news and bad news as they wanted to take me on but the sales assistant jobs (which I applied for) were all gone so would I take a stockroom assistant job to which I said yes anyway. I was given £10 cash for my travels and a £10 next voucher to thank me for attending the interview. I started work around 2 weeks later. Very informal and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a stockroom assistant job although I applied for sales assistant but I was happy to take the role.

Merchandising Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Next Retail.

Was relatively simple during mine (around 2013/14). Online application followed by some standard numeracy & literacy tests.
    The telephone interview which followed is essentially to ensure that you're a normal person who can articulate well.
    Then follows a recorded video interview. There is no invigilator, but there is a time limit for questions, so it's a good idea to plan your answers and read them out as you would in conversation to test they fit the 1-2 minutes limit. It's also advisable to ensure there's no 'waffle' in them. They want as clear and concise answers as possible, showing that you can think from multiple perspectives.
    After this is an assessment day with 5-10 other applicants. Here they essentially want to know that you have a handle on what the role is.
    -They'll give you some reports and ask you to pass judgement on what the numbers mean
    -They'll show you some product and ask you to decide on which is likely the best seller/most expensive etc
    -Then you'll be asked to work within a group.

As long as during all this you remember a Merchandiser's prime directive (to bring in revenue) and portray this confidently, you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • They asked 4 of us to plan a store layout at christmas with limited space for all departments.   View Answer
    After the offer, it took 2-3 months before they actually gave me a start date. NB it isn't a good idea to leave your current job after they give you the offer!

Christmas Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Next Retail in December 2014.

I applied online and received a call a month or so later, I was asked a couple of very simple questions, about my experience and customer service. I was offered the temp Christmas job, straight away, on the phone. I was booked into an induction within the next week, where I had to take along right to work docs and details of references. It was a very straight forward process.

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Next Retail in November 2014.

I applied for the role of Stockroom Assistant through Next's website on a Tuesday, was contacted for an interview on Wednesday and had the interview on Thursday.

The interview was not very formal at all, and really revolved around hands-on practice and how I interacted with other stockroom workers. I was asked to bring a copy of my CV and birth certificate/passport for the Assistant Manager, and that was really the only interaction I had with her.

In the stockroom, I was assigned to a long-term member of staff who demonstrated the basics before allowing me to get some hands-on experience. These basic tasks included: putting clothes away on the correct rails, security tagging products, applying age labels to hangers and how to send products down to the shop floor.

For this exercise, I was paid £10 in cash and received a £10 gift card - a most generous offer that I feel more employers should take in.

At the end of my time in the stockroom, I was notified immediately by the Assistant Manager that I had got the job and was asked to register online to confirm my details and give further information (such as my bank account information, etc.)

Overall, I would say that the hiring and interview process was a very positive experience.

Christmas Temp Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Next Retail in September 2014.

I applied for the job online and within 2 days received a phone call asking if i could come in the next day for a practical interview. 4 hours work and paid £10 and a £10 gift card. There was 2 other girls and we was all split up into different departments. i was first put in the changing rooms which was easy, fun. but the lady who was there watching me thought i should go back to college and not bother working there?. an hour later i was put into the general clothes part where i had to tidy the clothes? there's only so much tidying you can possibly do. i spent 4 hours on my feet with no drink bored. we was then taken upstairs and each taken i one by one to talk to the supervisor. i was last to go in and told straight away that another girl was much better and much more confident then i was but of course i could apply again. no thanks.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Next Retail in September 2014.

After applying for the role after 2 days i had got a phone call, a simple telephone interview that lasted for 10-mins asking about any previous experience and why i was interested in joining them. At the end of the telephone interview i was asked to come into a group interview held at the store i had applied to.
    This wasn't too bad just some group activities and interview questions that related to the role.

Interview Questions
    • Any previous experience in retail?
      Best customer service you've received?
      If you were on a desert island what 5 items would you take?

Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Next Retail in September 2013.

Applied for the job online. They then rang me and asked me to come in for an interview. I went into the managers office and she went over my CV with me and asked me a few questions. She then asked competency questions on customer service and asked what I would do in certain scenarios. I received an email a couple of days afterwards offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?
      Why do you want to work for Next?

Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Advisor At Next Directory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enderby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enderby, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Next Retail.

Interview with recruiter, assignment to check my language sent by e-mail, telephone interview with Next, face-to-face interview at Next, assessment day to check customer service skills and language skills.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were open, closed, situational, behavioral. Good structure of questions, every question was about position specification and qualities required for it nothing more than that. The best interviewer in my life.   Answer Question
    to be open, honest and not too nervous, people in HR there are very kind and could support you.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Next Retail in January 2013.

Through agency. One interview, no hr present. Promised to pay expenses, but only paid half about two months later. Took them three weeks to get back to me with feedback.
    Absolutely useless hr department......I have been told this by numerous agencies.