Next Step Living Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

Solar Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  South Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in South Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Next Step Living in July 2014.

After applying online, I received an email within a day or two from a recruiter at NSL, indicating that she would like to schedule a 10-15 minute phone interview to discuss my background and qualifications. We coordinated a time two days later, and everything about the call was pretty unremarkable. The recruiter was very nice and professional, and the questions were pretty superficial and easy--no surprises at all. She asked me if I could make it in for an interview at their office in South Boston the following Tuesday, which didn't fit in my schedule. She emailed me back later that day and arranged an interview for the following Wednesday with two of of their Sales Managers.

The first manager I met with was very nice, and started out by asking me some basic background questions. I was then asked about some more behavioral questions, things like: "Imagine you drive an hour and a half for a sales call and then find that the customer isn't home. What would you do?" Or another one I was asked was: "Imagine you're on your way to a sales call and it's pouring rain and you get a flat tire. How would you handle the situation?" Obviously, these questions are designed to see what kind of personality you have, and if you have the makeup to roll with the punches and maintain a positive, productive attitude. This interview went really well overall. It was supposed to last 30 minutes, but they were running behind on some things, so it was cut down to about 20 minutes. Overall, there weren't too many surprises, and it went smoothly.

I had to wait in the conference room for 10-15 minutes for the next manager to show up. Right off the bat, it was pretty obvious that he had an aggressive personality. He asked questions very quickly, and he pushed for fast answers. He also asked some behavioral questions, and the following scenario he posed was the most memorable: "I'm going to give you $2000 to go buy a TV today. Explain your buying process to me." My response: "Well, do I have to spend all $2000 on the TV?" He says: "No, you don't have to. Spend it however you want." My response: "Ok, well if I have to buy it today, I'd leave here and go to Best Buy to research my options and prices because they have a large selection. Then, I'd go to the independent dealer near my house on my way home, and if they had the TV I wanted at a fair price, I'd buy it from them because I'd rather support the small business than a big warehouse store." His response: "Well I didn't say you HAD to buy it today." My response: "Oh, well in that case, I'd just go home tonight and do some research online. I'd read a bunch of reviews and compare prices on all the current technology, and then I'd go to the store sometime over the next day or two and buy the exact one that I wanted." Apparently, this was the WRONG answer! The manager explained to me that he believes that all people "sell like they buy." He said that if it were him, he'd take the $2000, go straight to Best Buy, look at the TVs for 5 minutes and just buy the best one he could get with the money. He'd take it home and plug it in tonight because he doesn't have time to waste researching TVs. He said that at NSL this is an emotional sale, and that he doesn't want salespeople who give the customer time to research and think about the decision. He needs people who will go on the sales call and push the customer to sign on the dotted line before they leave. It was at this point that it became clear that we had distinctly different sales philosophies. I explained that if the product and service they're selling is truly the best in the industry, they shouldn't feel threatened by having better educated consumers. My approach, if I believed in what I was selling, would be to encourage my potential customers to feel free to gather as much information as they can. I want them to feel completely comfortable with their decision, because I build all my customer relationships on trust. I don't want to strong-arm a customer into making a major purchase (some of the solar systems sold at NSL are $20-40,000), and be the beneficiary of buyer's remorse. The manager did not value this sales philosophy, and based on this obvious difference in values, I did not expect to get a job offer, nor would I have accepted one if it were offered.

Afterwards, an office administrator took me to a computer terminal to complete a personality test and several simple aptitude tests. The tests included basic math questions and reading comprehension, and probably took me about 20 minutes to complete. If you're good at simple business math, it was all really easy.

I heard back from the recruiter the following Monday, and she informed me that the managers both really liked me, and thought that I was a good fit for Next Step Living in general, but that they didn't think the Solar Sales Advisor role was the best fit for me. She encouraged me to apply for another position within the company.

Interview Questions
    • I'm going to give you $2000 to go buy a TV today. Explain your buying process to me.   Answer Question

Home Energy Advisor Interview

Primarily a group interview process. You come in for a 30 minutes presentation on what the position entails, followed by a short little math test, computer test, and followed by 2 rounds of 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what my biggest fear was about the position, which I didn't really know how to answer.   Answer Question

Home Energy Adviser Interview

Process was quicker then expected, I got called in for a interview with one week notice. Took a simple math test for area volume and KWH and then a simple test with a computer software. Got an offer within 48 hours of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • A consumer says "I have no money to pay for any of this" how would you convince other wise   Answer Question

Outreach Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Next Step Living.

Started when the company was still fairly new. Interview process was very straight forward and simple. The interviewer was very curious to see how outgoing and confident I was in myself, since outreach mostly consists on person to person sales.

No negotiations.

Energy Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Next Step Living.

I was contacted to come in for a interview and given only a couple days notice which was unprofessional given they knew I lived a few states away. The interview itself was a group interview with a short breakout session for one-on-ones. There was a basic knowledge test of building construction principles, rudimentary geometry and energy principles. After completing my interview I was contacted a week later with an offer to join NSL in two weeks around the winter holidays. Accepted on the condition that I get a couple more weeks to find a place and properly move which the obliged.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty boilerplate and I went into the interview with credentials most candidates did not have. Interviewer did state that my experience would lend itself better to working in the office and he wanted to why I was interested in the field work.   Answer Question
    No negotiating. They clearly state what they're offering, take it or leave it

Solar Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Next Step Living in June 2012.

Opportunity to meet with various managers - essentially they want to determine if you have the ability to be able to help and guide a customer to take meaningful action.

Interview Questions
    • A customer says "Let me think about it"   View Answer
    I took the job knowing in advance what they pay and requirements were.

Sales Advisor Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Next Step Living in March 2014.

Group interview, speed dating style, only limited for 5 minutes with four people.

Interview Questions
    • Did not have time to really talk to someone, each asked the same typical interview questions. All I did was repeat myself. They were also 30 minutes late to their own interview process. One girl who works with them said that was typical for Next Step Living to always be late. From that point I knew that it was an unorganized company and was not nearly excited for the potential job as I was before hand.   View Answer

They asked em to come back once I completed my MBA (class only at night twice a week).

Lead Home Energy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Next Step Living in October 2013.

I was told about this position by my recruiter, who thought I was a good fit, and he got me the interview. The company holds group interviews, and only holds them once a month at a specific time. Therefore I had to take a half day off of work at my current job. I was very prepared for the interview, I read the whole website over, and wrote down all the questions I had regarding the company and the position duties. I was in the interview with three male candidates (I'm female). The first part of the interview was two employees showing a video (basically repeating everything I had read on the website) and then doing a presentation. After this was the one-on-one interviews. But since there were 4 candidates and only 2 employees, only 2 got to be interviewed first, while the other 2 candidates sat in the conference room twiddling their thumbs. Because of the group interview process, the whole process lasted probably 3 hours. This was a huge waste of my time, especially since I was not even offered the job. Also the two employees seemed to contradict each other the whole time. I think one reason I did not get an offer was because I was honest about not wanting to screw customers over. I think you have to be a greedy salesperson to work here.

Interview Questions
    • was asked specific questions about different kinds of insulation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Next Step Living in September 2013.

Applied online and heard back from a recruiter probably the next day. Had a quick phone screen and then was invited to a group interview a few days later. First there was a presentation to the group by a team leader. I was the lone female candidate of five or six total. The presenter spoke on all aspects of the job, and at one point he mentioned that it could be quite hectic. He asked if any of us had ever been a server at a restaurant. One guy raised his hand. The presenter then singled me out and was shocked that I had never been a waitress, which was kind of uncomfortable. Then we all took a skills/math test, a computer test, and proceeded to a one on one interview. The man mostly just asked me if I was still interested in the job and if I thought I could do it. The job ended up seeming much more sales-oriented than I originally thought, so it really didn't seem like a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Math skills test required knowing energy/power units like kwh, kw, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Next Step Living in January 2014.

Interview was pretty straight forward. Simple math test in the beginning, going over calculating areas and energy produced. Next was a computer literacy test which I found pretty pointless but I guess it was to see if you can follow directions in a time constraint. The in person interview was with one of the Home Energy Advisor field managers and was pretty straight forward, however I felt like it was rushed and the manager was not really into it. Personally it did not seem like the job I was really into since it focused heavily on sales and corresponding commissions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Next Step Living? Contribute to the Community!