Nextag Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nextag (San Mateo, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter. I had never heard of the company before - surprising, since they've been around for so long. Made it through the screen and joined for an in person interview a week or so later. That meeting went well and I was called back for a second interview with director and VPs. The group seemed fairly competent, but you could tell they did not have much experience with product management with a very small product management team. I did not meet with the rest of the product management team, who would become my peers, which struck me as odd. In retrospect, it was like they were trying to hide something. Interview room was a total dump, office was a dump (I hear they've since moved), which I should have taken as a sign that they do not reinvest in the employees and company. Profits are milked from the cash cow by senior management and investors. Interview questions were fine. "Describe how you would prioritize projects", "Describe how you do feature tests on the site", "What type of testing are you familiar with".

Interview Questions

• Describe the software management lifecycle process   Answer Question
    • what type of testing are you familiar with?   1 Answer
    • how do you prioritize projects?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried unsuccessfully to negotiate salary and stock increases. All in all, the offer was close to fair so I settled.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I interviewed at Nextag (San Mateo, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Contacted them through craigslist, got a technical phone screen and then an in person interview. No lunch was provided. Went through 4 interviewers, one who asked no technical questions and one who asked only technical questions. Afterwards, was called back for a second interview with the VP and SVP at the time. I was given the job on the spot, at higher than my asking price.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for too little.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Nextag (San Mateo, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

The questions lacked an objective. The person conducted the interview without preparing questions in advance showing zero respect for my time and efforts. He didn't answer any of my questions about the company. I wasn't encouraged to ask questions neither, and it was obvious that the interviewer knew little about the job.

Interview Questions

• How much are you planning to ask for this job? (The first question)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Inexistent.