Nextag Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews
Getting an Interview
- Popular Job Titles:
- Software Engineer (4)
- Senior Software Engineer (3)
- Software Engineer II (2)
- Marketing (2)
- Account Executive (1)
- Statistician (1)
- Business Development (1)
- Sales (1)
- Engineering (1)
- Content Analyst (1)
- Database Administrator (1)
- Product Manager (1)
- Software Engineer Internship (1)
Software Engineer Interview (Neutral Experience)
Interviewed at Nextag
Interview Details – tech interviews - 3 rounds.
Interview Question – analytics/data mining quesitons Answer Question
Software Engineer Interview (Neutral Experience; Average Interview)
I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nextag in January 2009.
Interview Details – The recruiter found my resume online and contacted me for a Software Engineer position. We just exchanged emails and the recruiter sent me an online programming test to solve. It was a problem to find the number of perfect shuffles required to return the deck to its original order given a deck of nCards and cutting iCut number of cards from the top. I wrote the program in java and sent over the solution. After that I did not hear back from them. I thought I did pretty well. But overall, a nice experience.
Interview Question – Write a programming test to solve a perfect card shuffle problem Answer Question
Software Engineer Interview (Neutral Experience; Difficult Interview)
The process took a day - interviewed at Nextag in July 2009.
Interview Details – Interviewed with 3 people: senior engineer, principal engineer and the director.
All of them asked about previous job experience.
Then they asked some brain teaser and technical questions.
All the technical questions were database related:
*) what type of indexing needed for a search engine
*) what type of indexing needed to store words for spell checker
My only gripe about this interview was the engineers sometimes did not explain
the problem very clearly. When I asked for more details, their hints were not helpful.
Interview Question – Write a SQL command that returns users' order history and the total cost of each order including shipping. There are 3 tables: users table, orders table, order details table. View Answers (3)
Software Engineer Interview (Negative Experience; Average Interview)
I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nextag in June 2009.
Interview Details – Easily the worst set of interviews I've ever had.
I had eight 1-1 interviews over a period of 3 days (it seemed they couldn't make their minds or whatever).
1. Guy1 had questions on (and only on) fibonacci trees (for some strange reason he seemed to be enamored with it ). I later found from friends at the company that this was his (only!) pet question.
2. Guy2's english was was beyond comprehension; the guy seemed to be a south east Asian. I had to ask for clarification multiple times. The guy was really adamant if I showed any disagreement to his 'correct' answers.
3. Guy3 was completely disinterested for whatever reason. His questions were technical but easy.
There were a couple of good interviews but in general the experience was very bad. The company doesn't seem to realize that interviews are a process where not only should the interviewee impress the interviewer, but the interviewer (and the company) strive to impress the interviewee.
- What is a Fibonacci tree? How would you add an element? What is the time complexity of searching for an element Answer Question
- reverse a string in place Answer Question
Reason for Declining – Although there were a few good interviewers and the pay was decent, in general I got a sense of incompetent future colleagues. I didn't accept the offer.
Interviews for Top Jobs at Nextag